BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crystal Palace Preview

colin

I have a minds picture of Bergy sat on the Coach/Plane home with his hand to furrowed brow....how the hell do I fix this mess!

:huh:

In his post match interview, he criticised the defence, midfield and attack. Still...at least he's happy with Robinson.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son and I were at match. We thought Berg showed managerial skill in picking Henley, in bringing on Rochina and Vucevic. Pedersen much better in second half. Nearly scored. So surprised Formica came on for him. CKR utter pants. Looked slow and slow-thinking. Not just bad attitude but a really poor player technically. Berg saw this quick. Palace were good. Freedman a top manager. He and Berg for me better than Holloway. Holloway has prem manager experience and took Blackpool down.

So:

Murphy - actually ok first half. Much better. Poor second half. Needs too much time on the ball. At fault for 2nd goal. Has the ability to turn attack into defense. But let's not boo him.

Henley - played well. But tricked in the box repeatedly by Zaha who is a class act. Maybe best player in our division.

Rochina he was amazing when he came on. Passing vision. Strength. Can tackle. Can shoot. Two good feet. Was our answer to Zaha. He may be our best player.

Martin Olsson. Got forward in second half. Very poor crossing. Struggles against their number 7 on wing.

Marcus O. Prob not good enough

Dann played really well.

Hanley. Also good.

Robinson. Fat. Could never save a penalty as England's no. 1.

Etuhu. Not much if a motor. Decent defensive midfielder.

Rhodes. Looked weak. No spring in his legs. Only one ball cams to Jim in box and he reacted slowly.

What about Vukcevic?

Does that mean United had the best squad last season until Aguero scored in the last minute?

You need to stop defending the indefensible, the way things are we're staying in this division. I'm not happy with that, you're not happy, other guys on his site aren't happy with that. Until we face up to the issues we've got vis-a-vis squad quality nobodies going anywhere.

• Backroom

I'm still positive

Today a team at the beginning of a long transition got beaten by a good team (for this league), the positives are the manager was willing to bring fringe players in and will have seen our main problems.

One of these main problems being we are paying premier league wages for players not playing to that standard but keeping the premier league attitude and feeling of entitlement

If we weren't paying these wages and facing real financial problems I would rather take two seasons to get promoted and build from the ground up replacing the old rotting core with fresh hungry players as if we do go up it will be simply papering over the cracks

I'm still positive

Today a team at the beginning of a long transition got beaten by a good team (for this league), the positives are the manager was willing to bring fringe players in and will have seen our main problems.

One of these main problems being we are paying premier league wages for players not playing to that standard but keeping the premier league attitude and feeling of entitlement

If we weren't paying these wages and facing real financial problems I would rather take two seasons to get promoted and build from the ground up replacing the old rotting core with fresh hungry players as if we do go up it will be simply papering over the cracks

I couldn't agree more Tom, the sooner we stop papering over the cracks the better. We're heading for one or two reality checks in the near future.

I'm still positive

Very good post. Paying huge wages to egos, with how much cash the owners have thrown at players we must get promotion but look a million miles from it!

Too early to write Berg off and fortunately only one or two who'd already nailed their colours to the wall have.

He needed to see our frailties and the legacy of diarrhea brains feeble attempts at tictacs (you couldn't call them tactics could you?) and it sounds very much like he can see the resolution. Give him a couple of weeks. Midweek games aren't going to help much.

Shame the first game was a loss albeit against one of the in form sides in the league. Onwards and upwards.

• Backroom

Last time we went, the players that took us there were hungry with a lot to prove, Dunn, Duff, Jansen and to an extent Bent, we did have experience but Flittys legs hadn't gone to the extent of Murphys! Compare the team now we have maybe Rhodes from this seasons regular starters who would fit in that mould.

Last time we went, the players that took us there were hungry with a lot to prove, Dunn, Duff, Jansen and to an extent Bent, we did have experience but Flittys legs hadn't gone to the extent of Murphys! Compare the team now we have maybe Rhodes from this seasons regular starters who would fit in that mould.

Correct. Also, Souness had a full pre-season with that squad and even then we started slowly.

Completely different this time around probably sums up why we aint going up.

At least Berg is honest in his post-match comments to recognise that this was a hugely deficient performance and that the current squad probably does not have the players to rectify it. There was a complete lack of anything at all in the opposition half although some improvement when the appalling CKR was subbed (how on earth did he get 1 cap for Turkey never mind 35?). Murphy's legs have gone totally and it is simply not possible with his modest skills to play standing still at this level. Marcos O showed again that he does not have the skill skill-set to perform at this level. Rhodes looked feeble (Shearer he most definitely is not!) ans Henley raw at times- though against a player whose ability on the ball is staggering (akin to Bale though in a different way).

IMO we are seeing the inevitable consequences of successive transfer windows under Kean. Last one we lost Hoilett and N'Zonzi for instance.Some people were purring about the players we bought

but they never, throughout Kean's managership (for want of a better word) measured up to what we'd lost. Lowe and Givet were 2 big absences for us today but that's no excuse. A strong defensive mid-fielder to replace Murphy

is an absolute necessity as is someone to play up alongside Rhodes. Can't see us going up this season.

Financial meltdown for Venkys? A just reward for their 2 years (so far) of utter ineptness.

Hard on us though.

Went today and thought our performance was a bit poor, however, Palace played very well. Murphy & Kaz were awful. Why are we playing Rhodes up top on his own? Too isolated. Rochina has to start, our best player. Very creative.

Give Berg time, I'm sure he'll turn it around.

Berg will turn it IMO, but we need 2 loan signings in this coming week. A striker with pace(either F.Campbell or Jerome) and a centre midfielder.

At least Berg is honest in his post-match comments to recognise that this was a hugely deficient performance and that the current squad probably does not have the players to rectify it. There was a complete lack of anything at all in the opposition half although some improvement when the appalling CKR was subbed (how on earth did he get 1 cap for Turkey never mind 35?). Murphy's legs have gone totally and it is simply not possible with his modest skills to play standing still at this level. Marcos O showed again that he does not have the skill skill-set to perform at this level. Rhodes looked feeble (Shearer he most definitely is not!) ans Henley raw at times- though against a player whose ability on the ball is staggering (akin to Bale though in a different way).

Agree with everything you have said except for Rhodes point. He is playing on his own up there, he is not being given anything to feed off, hence why today he was dropping so deep, he has proved time again he can score goals, he needs someone else to play off to create these chances. Shearer always played as 1 of 2 and was rarely a sole striker.

We have a weak unbalanced team but the fact we are still in touch with the leaders shows how poor this division is. I'm hoping we can limp along with the odd win here and there until Venky's fulfil their promise and allow Berg to strength the squad in January.

We all agree, don't we, that the family are inept, we have to deal with we have got. I am disappointed about today, feared the worst, it happened. Berg wasn't going to do it by himself, but at least he has had a look at things. I felt a tinge of jealousy at Holloway doing his half time team talk, and just wonder why Palace could get him in a week and we f**ked about forever. We lost valuable time drawing games we could have won had we got the feel good factor within 7 days of the dark lord going.

IMO we are seeing the inevitable consequences of successive transfer windows under Kean. Last one we lost Hoilett and N'Zonzi for instance.Some people were purring about the players we bought

but they never, throughout Kean's managership (for want of a better word) measured up to what we'd lost. Lowe and Givet were 2 big absences for us today but that's no excuse. A strong defensive mid-fielder to replace Murphy

is an absolute necessity as is someone to play up alongside Rhodes. Can't see us going up this season.

Financial meltdown for Venkys? A just reward for their 2 years (so far) of utter ineptness.

Hard on us though.

Agreed.

Just got in, I'm usually a bit too into the game to be able to comment but it seemed to me that it was of those days when we go to London and don't test the flipping keeper! Appalling!

I feel sorry for henning, inherited a crazy mix of old, young, half-decent and indifferent. What else were we supposed to expect today?!

Great following as ever, berg was extremely well received and I didn't see one arrest...or shot but that doesn't matter.

However embarrassing it is that palace end up with holloway, the fans favourite, brighter times may be round the corner. Just as long as you blank out the owners. mr. singh better bloody behave himself this season!

The next three games should begin to dictate the rest of the season.

Rip uncle jack, we pray with you, that despite today, our fine club regains our pride, passion and belief soon. The fans certainly showed it today. Could have been one ofbiggest away following this season. A berg hatrick: league, league cup, and promotion! Come on!

Just got in, I'm usually a bit too into the game to be able to comment but it seemed to me that it was of those days when we go to London and don't test the flipping keeper! Appalling!

I feel sorry for henning, inherited a crazy mix of old, young, half-decent and indifferent. What else were we supposed to expect today?!

Great following as ever, berg was extremely well received and I didn't see one arrest...or shot but that doesn't matter.

However embarrassing it is that palace end up with holloway, the fans favourite, brighter times may be round the corner. Just as long as you blank out the owners. mr. singh better bloody behave himself this season!

The next three games should begin to dictate the rest of the season.

Rip uncle jack, we pray with you, that despite today, our fine club regains our pride, passion and belief soon. The fans certainly showed it today. Could have been one ofbiggest away following this season. A berg hatrick: league, league cup, and promotion! Come on!

Hate to break it to you but we're already out of the League Cup.

He's a Berg, not a Cyborg. Time travel is ruled out unfortunately.

Archived