BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crystal Palace Preview

colin

Maybe call Fergie in his best grovelling voice and ask if he's got a couple of young wing whippets he could lend us.

I hope he does. We need the help and I assume SAF would trust Berg with his developing talents far more than he'd trust Kean.

Is it still legal to do loan deals this time in the season?

My son and I were at match. We thought Berg showed managerial skill in picking Henley, in bringing on Rochina and Vucevic.

So he's proven he knows how to make proper substitutions, thereby demonstrating his superiority to Kean. :)

I think Berg will get us sorted within a month or two, possibly sooner. He doesn't seem like the type to suffer fools, layabout and egoists gladly.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 6.45 a gang of red tracksuited men walked through Euston Station and broke into three groups. One group loitered around Burger King pondering what to buy and another group strode purposely through the station towards WH Smith. In this group were Murphy and Etuhu who, I swear moved quicker that they had all afternoon. Kazim-Richards was seen talking to a guard and he though he was going to miss his train so he ran (yes ran) towards the platform. I told two of the players (a clue - twins) that we were crap today and they agreed with me. I told them that our fitness was poor and again they agreed. I asked them where Henning Berg was and they said he would be along shortly I waited for a minute or two so I could tell him that what he had just seen should demonstrate to him how far we have fallen and what a big job he has taken on. Alas I had to catch my train so I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

Today Rovers were shocking and in my opinion the only players who can come out with any credit whatsoever are Dann, Hanley, Rochina and Vuckevic. We were destroyed in midfield and in the wide areas. With the number of crosses we allowed Palace to get in it was inevitable that they would score from one. Out fought and out thought in central midfield with Murphy simply atrocious and Etuhu not far behind. Lumped with these two is Kazim-Richards who seems to be a chocolate soldier with an awful attitude type of person. I wouldn't have these three anywhere near the team, I would play the kids first.

Be strong Henning and don't suffer fools.

At 6.45 a gang of red tracksuited men walked through Euston Station and broke into three groups. One group loitered around Burger King pondering what to buy and another group strode purposely through the station towards WH Smith. In this group were Murphy and Etuhu who, I swear moved quicker that they had all afternoon. Kazim-Richards was seen talking to a guard and he though he was going to miss his train so he ran (yes ran) towards the platform. I told two of the players (a clue - twins) that we were crap today and they agreed with me. I told them that our fitness was poor and again they agreed. I asked them where Henning Berg was and they said he would be along shortly I waited for a minute or two so I could tell him that what he had just seen should demonstrate to him how far we have fallen and what a big job he has taken on. Alas I had to catch my train so I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

Today Rovers were shocking and in my opinion the only players who can come out with any credit whatsoever are Dann, Hanley, Rochina and Vuckevic. We were destroyed in midfield and in the wide areas. With the number of crosses we allowed Palace to get in it was inevitable that they would score from one. Out fought and out thought in central midfield with Murphy simply atrocious and Etuhu not far behind. Lumped with these two is Kazim-Richards who seems to be a chocolate soldier with an awful attitude type of person. I wouldn't have these three anywhere near the team, I would play the kids first.

Midfield has been a running sore for how long ?

I think Henning Berg said to Norwegian TV that he had a talk with Ferguson recently. I will be very surprised if he don't ask about loaning fellow Norwegian Joshua King in January...

Think he might well leave on a permanent too. Could need his pace, definitely. He's not the Messiah though...

Maybe call Fergie in his best grovelling voice and ask if he's got a couple of young wing whippets he could lend us.

Robbie Brady would be a good one to get.

I didn't see anything of the game, but it sounds like we were poor again and were found out against a decent side. We've been crap all season. We aren't fit enough, we don't know what our best team and tactics are, we have a badly assembled squad and we are missing players in key positions. It doesn't make a recipe for success. At least Berg knows for himself where we are lacking. I was glad to see Orr finally dropped and Henley given a game and for Vukcevic to get some game time and change things a bit. Hopefully we will see more of him under Berg.

A big striker to go with Rhodes (Cameron Jerome maybe?) and a new central midfielder to replace Murphy who just isn't up to it anymore by the sounds of it.

• Backroom

Le chuck was saying Berg has got plenty to work with in the current side. I don't agree. Where's the contradiction in that ?

You said that the table tells you who's the best team (Cardiff). By that (incorrect) logic, it tells us we're the 6th best team. We are not. Far from it. The FINAL table tells you the best team.

On topic: I feel encouraged today. Orr (twitter) and CKR (sub) had hissyfits, so hope Berg kicks them up the arse and/or gets rid. Henley, Hanley (penalty aside) and Dann all played well. Berg knows what needs to be done and was honest in his analysis of the game. He told us the truth. So refreshing not to hear about the dew on the grass.

Not for one second do I believe Berg will get us automatically promoted (he CAN, but I don't think he will). I think he'll deffo at least keep us in the championship or possibly get us up via the play-offs. He's all about fitness, motivation and organistation. We need all 3 of those after 2 years of hell under that Keant.

We lost to one of the best teams in this league, with THE best player. To lose only 2-0 with only a slight input from Berg was encouraging. Henley and Rochina must surely start the next game. I'd go with (4-4-1-1):

Robbo; Henley, Dann, Hanley, Givet; Vukcevic, Pedersen, Etuhu, Mart' Olsson; Rochina; Rhodes.

Pedersen and Etuhu to both sit back a little (peders can roam occasionally) with the wingers and Rochina supporting Rhodes.

Ach. Cheers for that though.

Confirms what I think we all already knew. We're not good enough.

2 year very expensive contracts given to has beens (Murphy, Gomes (yes I know he didn't play) ffs). 5 other players signed from Portugal for no apparent reason. Quite simply breathtakingly stupid. CKR? Etuhu? I'm still stunned by the ineptitude of the previous manager and the pricks who signed it all off.

I'll say it again, we have Henning Berg, he gives a damn. He likes players with pace, a basic if we're honest. Yet this squad has none. Zip. Feck all. Slag him off after 2, 3, 5, 10 games if it makes you feel better. Lets be honest though, you can't polish a turd.

Clearly Henning has a big job to do. I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that at least he reacted to some of our problems to day. Unlike the previous, whatever. Perhaps today is a blessing in disguise as it will have shown Berg who is in it with their hearts and who is in it just for a payday. I am sure he will be well aware of what he needs to do and will not be afraid to do it. My guess is he will have some pretty high standards and those that can not or will not aspire to them will sit.

Quite simply we were beaten by a far better side. Palace had everything we don't - pace, the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately and two excellent wingers who tore us apart. I thought young Henley, despite the odd error, was probably our best player but as for the rest!!! Berg tried to change things with the subs but really he was fighting a losing battle. I have said all season the squad is not good enough and today, yet again, we were outplayed by the opposition who looked better in every department. Kazim-Richards doesn't look interested, Rhodes is not a centre-forward and yet we continue to ask him to play a role that he is physically not equipped to do. Murphy had another nightmare - he does't tackle, his passing is poor and he is so slow in both thought and movement. Etuhu flits in and out of the game and seems to spend far too much time covering for Murphy. The Olssons were ripped apart down the left and simply couldn't cope with the speed and tricky wing play of Palace. Rochina and Formica made little difference, although Rochina did have one decent shot. I thought Vukcevic looked decent when he came on and having been impressed with him in the Reserves it would be good to see him used in midfield on a regular basis.

We badly need to enter the loan market to bring in a target man to take the weight off Rhodes. He is a goalpoacher who needs the ball played to his feet in the box. He isn't quick enough to work the channels, he isn't good in the air and he certainly can't hold up the ball. Yet these are the very things we are asking him to do because we haven't got a proper centre-forward. His strengths are scoring goals in the area and for that he needs service and to feed off a target man. Until we solve that problem we are going to continue to struggle for goals. We also need to get some pace into the midfield and surely Raheem Hanley and Vukcevic have to be used more.

Above all Berg needs to be given time to develop his own team and style of football. He was very active on the touchline and one suspects he was far from impressed with what he saw.

One can see Holloway and Palace being a match made in heaven. Holloway likes to play attacking football and Palace have some excellent young players. Watching them today it's little wonder that they sent Goodwillie back.

Palace looked a very good side and if they can keep their players in January they will be a good bet for promotion, certainly a better bet than the Rovers. I have no doubt that Berg will get to grips with things but he needs to be given time.

Where does Raheem Hanley play? Is it left back? I'm pretty sure he's left footed.....can he play in midfield?

I really hope Henley and Vukcevic stay in the team....we need to be playing our best players as often as possible.....that for me is the difference between promotion and maybe making the playoffs in which anything can happen.

And when is Best due to be back does anyone know? Has he started light-training yet?

Also how did Formica do?

After watching our performance today there is one thing glaringly missing and that is pace.

I think as a matter of urgency we now desperately need to enter the loan market for a central Defensive midfielder, R.Winger, and before looking for a front man I would prefer to see Vukcevic played in behind Rhodes as apparently he has played there before and could be a good option for us behind the striker.

I would send CKR back to Turkey as the guy is a disgrace he obviously believes he is better than he is! and with the save on wages bring Jerome on loan.

I would also look at bringing in Nuno Henrique from the reserves tall 6ft + defender might make us more solid defensively.

I have not seen the game today,only read the posts on here.

There seems to me, from reading the reports of today's game and watching the last three home games, that not only is the squad unfit and playing poorly, but there is a total lack of motivation from the players.

If ever there should have been players trying harder than they have been, then I would have expected that today under a new manager who they should be doing all in their power to impress.

Evidently that doesn't seem to be the case. One would think they are sorry to see the last manager go. Do they actually care about the club? Makes me wonder.

Berg has a hell of a job on here. He will need to find out who is with him or who is not. The performance today might just give him some ideas.

+1

Excellent post which most closely matches my views. In some ways I feel there's been a massive over- reaction to today's result. Palace are probably the form side in the division AND had their new manager watching on from the stand. The combination couldn't have been worse.

However, the thing that's struck me is that this team has had the chance TWICE this season to impress TWO new mamagers, Black and Berg. Where has the "new manager bounce effect" been? We haven't seen the slightest reaction in either instance. When you look at th this side, who looks like they really WANT to play football and be successful as opposed to going through the motions and picking up their wages?

Henley? Marcus Olsson? Rochina? Rhodes? Nunes?

I'm going to go against the tide here and defend Etuhu because I think he looks a good player. However in my view he's been singlehandedly trying to bail out an extremely leaky boat in midfield with Murphy performing so poorly and Lowe being enthusiastic but imo not up to the job.

I still disagree with Tyrone, I think we have the strongest Squad in the division, (as opposed to the best 11 players). I also still think there's plenty of ability within this squad at this level. However the majority of this squad has been underperforming for quite some time now, losing and bad habits and in certain cases not giving it everything have become ingrained.

Not sure if I've contradicted myself above but ultimately I feel the problem is as much one of motivation as ability. Like you say Berg will have to find out over the next few weeks who's with him and who's agin him.

As sceptical as I am of Bergs appointment and ability to manage, (would have preferred someone like mccarthy or Holloway)

He is not to blame for todays defeat we were just simply outplayed today, having Murphy in midfield does not help (he has been awful all season) I would go with Peds and etuhu and hope they peform as n'zonzi and Peds could do at times to with pace on wings.

I think putting Henley at right back was a good decision and he proved his worth IMO played in his natural posistion, after he did a a solid job last time filling in at left back before Kean ignored him, I also find it telling that journey men suck ups like Kazim have sulked since Kean has gone (probably because now he cant have such a do as you please easy ride) Yet players like Vuckevic can come on as an impact sub and put in a good performance (obviously he cant do it himself) after YEARS in the wilderness of zero first team action and match fitness under Kean.

Also im under no illusion that the championship is easy to get out of I remember last time.

I dont disagree with the people that said at the start of the season player for player we have one of the strongest squads if not THE, in the championship but as a unit we are utterly dreadful and this will take Berg a lot of work to rectify after literally 2 years of neglect.

In the Premier league you can afford the odd slip up and still fight for mid table where the goal is survival and cup runs.

But when the goal is Promotion EVERYONE has to be pulling in the same direction - I would say last time everyone was pulling in the same direction but it still took 2 seasons. I have always believed that Jacks death had a postive impact and really galvanised and pushed us through to promotion.

But with the owners and 'board' we have at the moment we only have us fans and Berg (who knows what the good days were like under jack) to push us though, I may have been harsh im my reaction to Bergs appointment, but I hope in spite of useless owners etc, our fan base can become united again because the last 2 years have been absolutley awful and my worst as a fan and we have been in situations I would never have even had nightmares about.

I think the goal posts of people expectations need to be moved, IMO as long as we can beat Burnley twice and challenge for promotion places I will be more than happy! Good luck Berg!

COYB!

Raheem is a midfielder as far as I'm aware.

In answer to the signings I still don't think Etuhu was a bad signing. I think he'll be ok when set up in a decent team. I liked the sound of Rosado as well, he's the only one of the young portugeuse players who had some calibre, captained the under 21's and was being looked at by some pretty big clubs. Not sure why he can't get in the team as we currently have the weakest midfield I remember.

Danny Murphy is a real concern. I was very very happy when we signed him. More assists in last seasons premier league says a lot for his ability. I know that he is away from his wife and children a lot, I wonder if that's not helping him settle. I wonder if the lack of fitness is also proving a huge problem for him. Our team is clearly unfit. Whatever the reason he's clearly been a shadow of the player he used to be.

How do we sort it in the short term?? I guess we need to hope that we can fill some of the gaps through loan signings. Jerome would be a good starting point. We were told when we signed Rhodes that he needs a big partner up there with him to get the best from him; Jerome would appear to fit the bill.

I'm not sure why Gomes is not being played either, he was in very good goal scoring form and seemed to be linking up well with Rhodes and then he was dropped for CKR. I just can't see CKR and Rhodes working well together. CKR's attitude has been awful in recent games, not what you need in a struggling team. I'd ship him off and save the money towards Jerome. We should also be challenging the stupid rule that means we are paying Goodwille but not allowed to play him. That is not helping the player at all. He needs games!! We are also so short up front that we need him as an option.

Talksport classy as ever this morning. Describing the result between Ian Holloway's new side and "the chicken boys". And that was Mark Saggers!

That station has shown us nothing but contempt in the last 18 months. I'm guessing there are a lot of SEM clients in that building.

Henley needs to stay in the team over Orr. Murphy needs to be dropped and hopefully let go. He has been terrible since he arrived and is on a reported £55K a week. CKR is another who need to go. He's been terrible and has scored once I think? He obviously thinks that because he played for Fenerbache and Galatasary and played in the Champions League, that he can just stroll around in the Championship.

I want to see more of Vukcevic in the team. He could be a really good player for us if given the chance. Nunes has shown well when he has played and has done a lot better than the other fleet of Portuguese players we have, with the exception of Nuno Gomes, who should be playing instead of CKR. I think Ethuhu was a good signing and would do better with a better partner.

Berg needs to utilise the loan market quickly and release players who are draining the club.

One of the reasons successive managers have been loathe to play Rhodes in a 4-4-2 with some support to take the weight off his shoulders is that our midfield is so weak. We seemingly need to play 5 in midfield to hold our own because any 4 will just get over-run by the willing runners and athletic midfielders that this division is noted for. Etuhu has probably been the pick of a bad bunch. None of the rest deserve to pull on the shirt, Murphy has been the biggest flop I can remember for a long time, Barry Ferguson wasn't this bad.

Dunny is always injured, Pedersen, well, let's just say this division isn't made for him. Ollsen the supposed footballer is playing like he wants away. CKR is playing like he's made a massive mistake coming to Ewood and is just realising it. Formica just hasn't made the step up. Lowe is a willing worker but lacks other qualities. Vukevic has been out of favour that long I don't even know what sort of player he his ! He had a decent cameo yesterday by all accounts so he may be in the team for the next game. If he plays poorly as may happen because of a lack of recent game time he'll be out again and the merry go round in midfield will start all over again.

In my opinion even if Best came back this week we'd still have to play 4-5-1 because of our failings in midfield. I just hope Berg can address the problem as soon as possible. The chances of getting two good results against our friends from down the road are nil with this squad, I'd take two draws now !

Archived