BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

So people are already slating Appleton based on his records at Portsmouth, a club with serious problems, and Blackpool because he only won 2 games out of 12. Whilst he has been at Blackpool he has taken 13 points from 11 games (plus a draw with Fulham in FA Cup). Try comparing that to the 12 points Blackpool had acquired from their previous 12 games, most of them coming under Ian Holloway. In fact Blackpool won their 12th game in that period after Holloway had left so Holloway had taken just 9 points from 11 games.

Blackpool are a team in decline who have struggled long before Appleton took charge. Their demise hasn't come just because he was appointed manager which some of you are making out, but it began when Holloway was in charge. Now how many of us was it that wanted Holloway to take charge?

I don't know a lot about Appleton but I remember seeing an interview when he was at Portsmouth and he struck me as a very dignified man who worked hard and didn't stand for messing about, as he has shown at Blackpool by standing up to Oyston. For what he went through at Portsmouth, at a time when anyone could have made a run for it, he deserves a chance. He is not a gamble in the same way as Berg; he knows the Championship, which was one of our main criteria for a new manager, so people need to stop throwing their toys out the pram already. He might not even be appointed yet but if he is he deserves respect and a chance, and least of all to be compared to Steve Kean!

Having said that though, I do think it is harsh on Gary Bowyer and the job he has done thus far. He has done unexpectedly well so he does deserve more time in the job. Like someone said earlier, Bowyer winning games seems to be ruining the fun for the lunatics from Pune.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
agree Mm.

Appleton is highly rated by Hodgson n Sir Alex.

really dont know why so many ppl are so against him.

Its not anything personal against him Chaddy. I'm sure he does have potential and i'm sure he's held in high regard by other managers. But take a step back at this and look at it as a neutral. People said these things about Steve Kean. Lots of managers supported him and because he was at Rovers and we were in such turmoil he was forgiven many poor results. Appleton's career at Pompey mirrored that of Kean to a degree. He might not have had the fans on his back but he had a ready made excuse for poor performance. I'm not saying he's a devious so n so like Kean, but the similarities are obvious to me.

All i wanted from Rovers in this appointment was an experienced manager with some back bone. Someone who we could trust to take care of the playing side of things even if the boardroom battles rumbled on. Sadly it looks like they want to take yet another risk with a young manager. I can't understand how the directors at the club can't grasp the how important promotion is and how bad things could get if we linger in this league. Our PL set up cannot be sustained on Championship income. Its simple economics. We relegated ourselves with poor decisions and it seems we are intent on avoiding promotion by doing the same thing.

Superb post, RoverRich. We asked for a manager with experience who knows this league and Appleton fits that bill. He is also a very good up and coming manager which fits with what the owners want.

Yes, I would have preferred a Hughes or a Poyet but perhaps that's not realistic right now.

The majority of Blackpool fans think he's got their team really organised and hard to beat. That's exactly what we need. Their local journo thinks he's a top manager and a national journo tweeted that if we'd got him at the start of the season we'd be in the top 2 by now.

So people are already slating Appleton based on his records at Portsmouth, a club with serious problems, and Blackpool because he only won 2 games out of 12. Whilst he has been at Blackpool he has taken 13 points from 11 games (plus a draw with Fulham in FA Cup). Try comparing that to the 12 points Blackpool had acquired from their previous 12 games, most of them coming under Ian Holloway. In fact Blackpool won their 12th game in that period after Holloway had left so Holloway had taken just 9 points from 11 games.

Blackpool are a team in decline who have struggled long before Appleton took charge. Their demise hasn't come just because he was appointed manager which some of you are making out, but it began when Holloway was in charge. Now how many of us was it that wanted Holloway to take charge?

I don't know a lot about Appleton but I remember seeing an interview when he was at Portsmouth and he struck me as a very dignified man who worked hard and didn't stand for messing about, as he has shown at Blackpool by standing up to Oyston. For what he went through at Portsmouth, at a time when anyone could have made a run for it, he deserves a chance. He is not a gamble in the same way as Berg; he knows the Championship, which was one of our main criteria for a new manager, so people need to stop throwing their toys out the pram already. He might not even be appointed yet but if he is he deserves respect and a chance, and least of all to be compared to Steve Kean!

Having said that though, I do think it is harsh on Gary Bowyer and the job he has done thus far. He has done unexpectedly well so he does deserve more time in the job. Like someone said earlier, Bowyer winning games seems to be ruining the fun for the lunatics from Pune.

Well written, i agree with your sentiments, however i do wish Agnew was removed from our club, i can just put up with Shaw but not both.Only time will tell.

Fans are being brainwashed by the clubs demise and resigning themselves that a manager of Appleton's calibre is anywhere near the right man.

Too many people trying to convince themselves that he is worth a punt because it is said he has a good reputation and carries himself with dignity (is it me or does that have a familiar ring to it). Alright Kean had other traits we didn't like but apparently he was highly thought of in the game too, shame that reputation hasn't got him a new job though eh.

I have nothing against Appleton as a person, he is a nice guy and may well be the "next mourinho" (one day) but now is not the time to gamble again.

For me you can write off Appleton's career at Pompey because he was just there as a figurehead to pick whoever they could afford to play/would turn up. Impossible circumstances to assemble any kind of team really. So that leaves us with just Appleton's 11 games of proper managerial experience at Blackpool - hardly awe inspiring!

Would the next manager have the same remit as Berg - promotion only???

As with every target since venkys took over (top 5, europe, top ten, survival, absolutely not relegated, next mourinho, experienced manager etc etc), our expectation levels are systematically being stripped from us fans with every decision made.

We are being beaten into submission and every day our expectations are lowering.

Why though? Why is our club being destroyed slowly? Why? why? why?

I hate you all - Venkys/Shabby/Shaw/Agnew/whoever!!!!!!!!!! - one of the loves of my life is suffering and it hurts like hell.

Get out now!!!!!

Superb post, RoverRich. We asked for a manager with experience who knows this league.quote]

No, we want a manager with experience of getting OUT of this league. Considering we have the highest wage bill in the league, I don't think this is too much to ask?

MG Road was right about it splitting the fans (on here) opinion 60/40.

I had a bit of an unnecessary blast at Appleton on here last night, but I've calmed down a bit now. I'll be willing to give the guy a chance but he MUST get results straight away because he's replacing what looks like a winning combo in Bowyer and McPhillips. The pressure will be on him from day one and if he doesn't perform, the fans will turn on him like a pack of dogs and justifiably so.

Well there's the vast difference in that Holloway got Blackpool promoted on buttons and with no training ground, and almost got them promoted again on buttons with a completely refashioned squad. In contrast Appleton has won two games.

How many people said this about Kean though? I'm not saying he's quite the snake he is but to say you don't know a lot about him, then in the same sentence go on to say a lot about him suggests that you haven't a clue if he's in any way suitable for the role or what kind of person he is.

And although Berg is a better person than Kean, how many people said he deserved respect and a chance and he wouldn't take any BS as well?

I do agree people shouldn't be slating Appleton, but a decision to appoint him would be a travesty considering even the man who approached him stated that the next appointment must be experienced and considering we've taken two consecutive gambles that have failed.

I agree with this. It would be very harsh. Bowyer should only be removed as manager should the right and qualified person come up for the job.

Let's remember, we don't just merely have to sustain our position in the league - we must go up in order to survive being owned by Venkys. Otherwise it's financial meltdown and possibly being left to die.

MG Road was right about it splitting the fans (on here) opinion 60/40.

I had a bit of an unnecessary blast at Appleton on here last night, but I've calmed down a bit now. I'll be willing to give the guy a chance but he MUST get results straight away because he's replacing what looks like a winning combo in Bowyer and McPhillips.

Not much of a chance then?

I want to start by saying I am fully behind this appointment. Appleton is well regarded in the game and when I saw him on the Footballers football show he seemed insightful, talented and had a will to do well.

My problem is the farce surrounding the appintment. Before we appointed Berg Appleton was clearly available as he joined Blackpool during the last manager merrygoround. If he is deemed good enough now why wasn't he deemed good enough 3 months ago. It seems to me Shaw and Shebby are being given type alternative spins of the coin to decide what is good for Blackburn Rovers.

These two parties are clearly on different pages. Every successful club needs everyone pulling in the right direction. Whoever gets the job will have there choice destroyed by the other. We saw this last time when Shaw came out and cast doubt on the Berg appointment within days of him coming in.

Until we have clear direction in the board room we are going nowhere.

This is what we've been reduced to now. We no longer just hire a good manager. We hire a dodgy manager and then some people come up with a host of weak excuses and irrelevant info to try and explain that he's actually good.

My main worry is whether he's a good thinker or not.

stangely enough i am quite positive about this appointment, learned his trade the hard way

You actually make a very good point. Why do fans seem to go for these big name over-indulged managers. Isn't there any nobility in actually serving an apprenticeship any more rather than inherit something from patronage.

Regardless, the vote for Ericcson is laughable given the fact that he shafted us last time.

This is what we've been reduced to now.

It is actually, we're in the middle of the Championship.

On a broader issue, the demand of many on here that we need a manager with experience of getting out of this division would, to the best of my memory, have ruled out from their roles all four of the managers I have witnessed winning us promotion .

Regardless, the vote for Ericcson is laughable given the fact that he shafted us last time.

He didn't actually shaft us, he had a good long talk with Jack Walker, who eventually said, "I understand, Sven, we're friends" before tearing up the contract himself.

"He's come up through the game and has been highly rated as a coach, so I think he's a good choice as manager" - which recent Rovers manager does that remind you of?

"I know his record at his two most recent clubs hasn't been very good, but look at what he had to deal with!" - which recent Rovers manager does that remind you of?

Honestly can't believe some people have such short memories. Unbelievable.

We aren't asking for much. Just someone with a bit of experience that ISN'T a track record of failure.

FFS.

On a broader issue, the demand of many on here that we need a manager with experience of getting out of this division would, to the best of my memory, have ruled out from their roles all four of the managers I have witnessed winning us promotion .

Could that be simplified?

This is even more depressing than I thought it might be.

It's actually getting worse:

1. No, it won't be him.

2. Oh it might be?

3. He's actually quite good you know.

Sir Alex rates him!! WONDERFUL!! What a great thing that is. He was so wonderfully correct about Brian Kidd and Steve Kean also!

I'm disgusted with our fanbase. You are all so adamant about change and yet you willfully gorge upon any swill that Venkys see fit to feed you. If Shebby was made manager, I have no doubt that some of you would be pulling positives out from the dampest of crevices. It has been this way from the start and very few of you see what a parody you have become....'If this happens I WILL....I WILL BE SO MAD.....but just keep following along...you know....RTID'. Twitter is an embarrassment and providing a wonderful insight into the origins of dictatorships - "Whoever is picked, I'll be behind them. They still wear the blue and white". Clichéd, horrible and terribly predictable. It is nothing short of moronic. As a fan base we have started to resemble the brainwashed unfortunates of a cult dedicated to self punishment.

We want a manager that can get promotion from this league. From a logical point of view, it would surely make sense to hire someone that has experience doing that? Regardless of what people say about Appleton...he has a record in this league FROM THIS SEASON which can be used as a guide to what kind of form he is likely to replicate here. He is having a hard time at Blackpool and Shaw is clearly using his pull to do his old mate a favour.

Anyway, back to being happy with eating swill and getting used to the constant sour taste....Rovers...ra ra ra!

Could that be simplified?

I think he meant to say that many of us demanded that we get a manager with experience of getting teams promoted from the Championship, yet there are 4 candidates who have that experience but fans ruled them out because of one fault or another.

Archived