BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see why Derek Shaw is gone for Appleton. He had success at Preston appointing young British managers with a blossoming reputation. Appleton shares some characteristics with David Moyes (who Shaw appointed) in that they both started coaching very early. To be fair, of all the young managers around at the moment, he appears to have the best reputation (with Karl Robinson not far behind).

That said I still don't think it's the right appointment. His record to date suggests he's a long way from the finished product and we need someone who can hit the ground running. His win percentage is around that of Kean's. I'm not prepared to offer slack because some of that was at Pompey - Avram Grant was offered similar slack and look how that turned out for West Ham.

The best thing I can say about Appleton is that, having already managed under Portsmouth and Oyston at Blackpool, he'll be better prepared than anyone to work under Venky's.

Completely agree. Good post.

This may be a tad controversial, but I think Appleton would be a half decent appointment. To have the win rate he had at pompey under those circumstances was phenomenal. He took over a Blackpool side very much on the decline (and were on a dreadful run before Holloway left). He has steadied the ship there by making them hard to beat against several of the form teams in the division.

He was also being groomed to take over from Hodgson at WBA and they seem to know a good manager when they see one.

Very good post.

I wouldn't be sure, after reading the latest BRAG statement it looks like the fight back has begun

I think Singh was finished a week ago and posted on here to that effect.

Don't think Mrs D will change her mind. Clearly, Agnew / Shaw have done a job on her.

IMO, BRAG lost all credibility, let's see how many of their 8,000 so called members march on Ewood - susepct dozens rather than even hundreds.

As to Appleton, I think he will be okay given the market we are now shopping in.

Fans need to get real - likes of Hughes, Poyet etc are financially way out of our reach. In any event, would they really join this circus ?

I think Singh was finished a week ago and posted on here to that effect.

Don't think Mrs D will change her mind. Clearly, Agnew / Shaw have done a job on her.

IMO, BRAG lost all credibility, let's see how many of their 8,000 so called members march on Ewood - susepct dozens rather than even hundreds.

As to Appleton, I think he will be okay given the market we are now shopping in.

Fans need to get real - likes of Hughes, Poyet etc are financially way out of our reach. In any event, would they really join this circus ?

agree Mm.

Appleton is highly rated by Hodgson n Sir Alex.

really dont know why so many ppl are so against him.

agree Mm.

Seems strange some saying Appleton's record is as bad as Kean's. I do not think they are comparable at all. Kean had a top 10 squad when he came in. Whereas Appleton at pompey had a patched up one. When he came to blackpool, he stopped their slide. Appleton is not as bad as some are making out. Not convinced he is the right person though. Just does not deserve the flak he is getting. He was approached for the job, not the other way round.

My concern. They like to appoint their mates and do favours. It all seems like one big ploy to get total control at Ewood. Truly sad times.

Well Shaw certainly tried his best to convince Kean not to leave.

Mark Manson@markmanson1982

Appleton not at training today!

I bet he's resigned.

:(

I have serious misgivings about Appleton, we need a experienced manager, not another gamble. But if he is appointed then will support him and judge him on results, like every other manager.

This one is totally a team Shaw choice. Shebby is sidelined on this one, but I can't see him just accepting this. As I said few weeks ago best way forward is for Shaw, Shebby and Agnew to be removed.

Do you have enough faith in Venky's that you think this will actually help? Won't they just hire the three stooges next?

As far as Appleton is concerned, I could think of worse appointments in footballing terms. He's a better candidate than Berg in terms of his admittedly limited experience of the English game and made a good fist of his two jobs so far in trying circumstances. Comparing his win ratio to Kean is quite the disservice. It goes without saying however, that other more experienced options should be explored first and if they are exhausted, we can be more open-minded about his potential appointment.

But as usual, it's at this point where things start to unravel. Why have we just lumped straight in for him with no semblance of considering the market. Surely if he's leaving Blackpool because of the owners this would be the absolute last club on the planet you would move to. What if we do appoint him and he discovers the sheer scale of ineptitude is greater than he could have possibly imagined and he leaves as well. Doesn't get us anywhere at all.

In some respects, this approach feels like a pawn in a power struggle. Why make a statement about it? Why indeed

I'm not completely convinced this is a done deal. If he is appointed he will have my support, as did Berg, and I don't think suggestions to the contrary are terrible helpful. I'm as frustrated as anyone that the tits in charge are once again playing games with the great institution that is our club but the media focus needs to be on Venky's exclusively and how terrible they are. The story being about how the fans don't like yet another manager, be that a fair reflection or not puts absolutely zero pressure on Venky's

agree Mm.

I would say because so many were hoping for a much more experienced manager

I can see why Derek Shaw is gone for Appleton. He had success at Preston appointing young British managers with a blossoming reputation. Appleton shares some characteristics with David Moyes (who Shaw appointed) in that they both started coaching very early. To be fair, of all the young managers around at the moment, he appears to have the best reputation (with Karl Robinson not far behind).

That said I still don't think it's the right appointment. His record to date suggests he's a long way from the finished product and we need someone who can hit the ground running. His win percentage is around that of Kean's. I'm not prepared to offer slack because some of that was at Pompey - Avram Grant was offered similar slack and look how that turned out for West Ham.

The best thing I can say about Appleton is that, having already managed under Portsmouth and Oyston at Blackpool, he'll be better prepared than anyone to work under Venky's.

Agree. Not a disaster but not the right man. Maybe I'm struggling to come to terms with what a joke we are but my initial response was one of feeling underwhelmed.

Of course the biggest worry is that this is just more in fighting between Shaw/Agnew & Singh and we'll end up with another compromise which is detrimental to the club and a complete no-mark who all 3 can continue their power struggle without having to worry about. The statement published shows that all 3 of Singh, Shaw and Agnew need to go.

However, if they're not all on their way out then maybe someone who has worked in impossible situations before is the best we can hope for.

It doesn't matter who we appoint, whilst those three stooges are arguing in the boardroom the club will continue to slump from crisis to crisis. Its about time 'confused of Pune' started to crack a few heads and sacked the three of them.

Appleton is well respected and could do a decent job, but with Singh seemingly holding the purse strings, and has had his nose put out on this, one would assume he'll make things difficult to show the 2 stooges in a bad light.

These keaning idiots are destroying this club, they should all hold their heads in shame, but simply they don't give a kean, they're just happy to be picking up their salaries each month.

KEANING PATHETIC! :angry2: How much more of this kean are we expected to take?

Although they obviously have a shitter stadium and shitter facilities, Blackpool at this moment in time, in terms of their league ambitions, are on a par with us. Their aim this season is most likely to finish in the top half and to have a crack at the play-offs. Like it or not, after the debacle we've had, we should have similar aspirations for this season.

So if Blackpool brought Appleton in to achieve those ambitions, why are people so surprised that we've targeted him or anyone similar?

If Appleton is appointed, I'll get behind him, like I would any other manager.

Any anger should be directed at the owners, nobody else.

Agree. The chaos has been going on since Venkys took over. First Kean was the front for it now it's Singh/Shaw/Agnew.

Appleton, Venkys and the 3 clowns can all kiss my a**

My reaction if this shameful appoinment comes to pass

Not sure if this has been posted. For those self deprecating posters amoong us, a rather amusing piece.

http://newsthump.com/2013/01/10/blackburn-rovers-keen-to-appoint-new-manager-after-disappointing-run-of-victories/?

Only 6 times over two topics

Archived