SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Northern Rover@Northern_Rover

@thesage001 @reluctantnicko Shaw could've gone for anyone (within reason) and owners would've backed him. He chose Appleton.

Despite my misgivings if Appleton is appointed I will fully support him and will judge him on results with Rovers.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10151377.Rovers_make_approach_for_Blackpool_s_Appleton/?ref=twt

Andrew Cryer@CryerRovers

@stu_mulrooney the interest was obvious, it was whether shaw and agnew wd win power struggle. They have

So he is proving himself an idiot along with the rest. What is the REAL end game here someone needs to find out.

Not understanding the attitude that Poyet is worth is 2m compo but Appleton is @#/???? Likewise O´driscoll and Robins - what's the difference? We don't want Appleton cos he is inexperienced, give the job to our reserve team manager instead...(??) ((no disrespect to Bowyer intended))

Could it be that Appleton is upset that he has no real training pitch and zero transfer funds? Actually looking at his results at Blackpool it would seem (with 1 hiccup against boro) that he has at least started to adress their defensive frailties.

tldr: give the guy a chance, has some experience and won't be here just for the money!

Typical balls-up as usual. We don't even bother reaching consensus before approaching a manager and making it public.

I truly cringe, and then there are the amateurish statements we put out.

Perhaps Singh will make a power-play and get this appointment kibboshed. Or maybe he will find a way to undermine Appleton and get his own man in.

It's amateur night up at Rovers, and we are being shamed. What were the criteria for this appointment then? "Must be mates with Derek Shaw"? "Must be good at managing teams that are going down the financial plughole"? "Win ratio in the late teens to early twenties"?

Our caretaker's managed three wins on the trot, and we go out on a limb to get someone who seems no better at all. I despair. Truly despair. I'm embarrassed by the way our club is run.

:(

Is Bowyer's ability to win football matches ruining some master plan or something?

The more I see of this lot the more it seems to be the case. No one could do this poorly unless they wanted to destroy this club, they are repeating the same mistakes over and over. As I said elsewhere, what truly is their plan, their end game. We need to find out what is really going on. No way can a group get it so badly wrong so many times without an underlying reason. I've said before I think they intend to turn this club to dust and walk away about the time the parachute payments expire. The same time we expire. That is my conspiracy theory.

You get the feeling that Aggers bangs out these press releases after knocking back a couple bottles of merlot. The guy truly is laughing his tits off at every single one of us.

Think it's vindictive, whipping his beloved nob end when he was chief exec there and he's still annoyed at supporters hounding his golden ticket and really misses rubbing his Stevie's head every morning to generate the power of the dark forces, doesn't feel the same doing it to minipne's full head of hair.

It costs me a fair bit to get over to the Blackburn matches. If this nonsense goes ahead and they really are against trying to get in 'real' manager and leave him to it the Mrs won't be doing her xmas shopping in Blackburn this year.

Absolutely fuming :angry2:

If approach is rejected and is not followed up, then this just shows the lack of professionalism throughout the club.

Would of been simple to pick a phone up, or send a fax and wait for a response. Why put a public statement out???

All that has achieved is unsettling 2 squads of Players, 2 Sets of Supporters and an interim Manager who is trying his best under extreme difficult circumstances.

It would not surprise me if the statement was more of a political statement as more turmoil with in-fighting across the two camps at Ewood continues

As usual more questions than answers when Rovers make a statement. The main 1 being why make the statement at all? They are just 3 stroppy kids fighting over who is in charge and someone needs to come in and knock their heads together. Volunteers form an orderly queue please.

Shaw and Agnew out campaign must start soon! I really despise these two. They have to get rid. There's an issue and fight between Shaw/Agnew and Shebby's team at Ewood.

If approach is rejected and is not followed up, then this just shows the lack of professionalism throughout the club.

Would of been simple to pick a phone up, or send a fax and wait for a response. Why put a public statement out???

All that has achieved is unsettling 2 squads of Players, 2 Sets of Supporters and an interim Manager who is trying his best under extreme difficult circumstances.

It would not surprise me if the statement was more of a political statement as more turmoil with in-fighting across the two camps at Ewood continues

I agree Glenn, why put an statement? Very weird. Now we know Agnew has an imput on the official website. Trying to unsettle supporters, but all supporters know that Shaw/Agnew wants to ruin the club.

I can see why Derek Shaw is gone for Appleton. He had success at Preston appointing young British managers with a blossoming reputation. Appleton shares some characteristics with David Moyes (who Shaw appointed) in that they both started coaching very early. To be fair, of all the young managers around at the moment, he appears to have the best reputation (with Karl Robinson not far behind).

That said I still don't think it's the right appointment. His record to date suggests he's a long way from the finished product and we need someone who can hit the ground running. His win percentage is around that of Kean's. I'm not prepared to offer slack because some of that was at Pompey - Avram Grant was offered similar slack and look how that turned out for West Ham.

The best thing I can say about Appleton is that, having already managed under Portsmouth and Oyston at Blackpool, he'll be better prepared than anyone to work under Venky's.

This may be a tad controversial, but I think Appleton would be a half decent appointment. To have the win rate he had at pompey under those circumstances was phenomenal. He took over a Blackpool side very much on the decline (and were on a dreadful run before Holloway left). He has steadied the ship there by making them hard to beat against several of the form teams in the division.

He was also being groomed to take over from Hodgson at WBA and they seem to know a good manager when they see one.

Archived