BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Football Club v Bristol City Football Club – Saturday 2nd February 2013 – Kick Off – 3pm

orr was fairly solid as i expected tbh.

as usual kasims 1st instinct was a long shot before a pass at every opportunity, Morten good considering he was on the right for most of the game, wasn't imprest with markus olson(works hard like his brother & quite very fast but unlike his brother has very little footballing ability or inteligence)

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should rip the Championship apart mate. Last time we were there he almost beat Sheffield Wednesday (A) and Boro (A) on his own. He's pretty good in the prem. At that level he's very good. Should work wonders with Rhodes

Is he equally effective on the right? I can only remember him on the left for you.

And how do you rate his crossing ability?

Negatives: Sad to see Orr back for Rovers but a win is a win... It's fair to say i'm not a fan. I want someone (again) to explain to me what Lowe offers... No passing, goals, set pieces or tackles...

Positives: Obviously 3 points, clean sheet and more goals for Rhodesy!

We desperately need to invest in centre mid... It's an embarrassment to be honest.

Early days but so far I'm encouraged that Appleton has us back to basics. We appear to be more organised as a unit and grinding out results without being spectacular - which is the best we can hope for with that midfield. Whether sidelining our 'luxury' players will come back to haunt him, time will tell. Oft you will need that extra bit of quality in the final third and right now I can't see where it's coming from. Getting Thomas in would be a step in the right direction.

Negatives: Sad to see Orr back for Rovers but a win is a win... It's fair to say i'm not a fan. I want someone (again) to explain to me what Lowe offers... No passing, goals, set pieces or tackles...

Positives: Obviously 3 points, clean sheet and more goals for Rhodesy!

We desperately need to invest in centre mid... It's an embarrassment to be honest.

Its not that bad. Our midfield absolutely destroyed Derby's last week, they couldn't get the ball off us in the second half and we were cutting through them at will. Murphy is clearly the key though, as he was superb last week and average this week.

As for Orr, well personally I think to an extent some fans have muddled bad defensive coaching with bad defenders. Orr won this league with QPR, so I really don't know how he can be as awful as some are claiming. Seems more logical to me that he looked awful because Kean couldn't organise a defence if his life depended on it. Only seen Orr play twice since, one was a 1-0 win against Sheff Wed, one was a 2-0 win today. Its hard to criticise any of our defence on recent evidence, Dann and Hanley in particular have been excellent.

Is he equally effective on the right? I can only remember him on the left for you.

And how do you rate his crossing ability?

He played mainly on the left, its his more comfortable side. He is able to switch though if needed. His plus points are he's fast going forward, quick to spot a weakness or opening, great crosser and he can score. He can lose concentration at times which is a weakness, but, coming back off his injury he should have something to prove

• Backroom

Orr is a very average player - Bristol today, but harder teams to come - Ipswich won 4-0 today, we should beat them next week, time will tell, he will be found out. We need new blood as I have stated earlier - a couple of injuries and we are in serious trouble.....god forbid Jordan is one!

In fairness Bristol beat Watford away last week didn't they who are one of the best teams in this league

Today was one of those days that really highlights the having or the having not of a quality striker in your side. For Bristol City had two very good chances first half but squandered both of them, whereas Rhodes scored from our two chances of arguably greater difficulty. I was really impressed with his second goal, largely because it was a little bit different to the majority of his other goals so far this season. He managed to stay strong and shrug off the defender who was cynical trying to foul him, yet despite this he still showed greater composure to finish expertly. They do say that great players make it appear they have more time on the ball and for those few seconds or so where a lesser player may have shot immediately, instead Rhodes looked as if he had all the time in the world before eventually executing the finish.

The overall performance was okay, it's already been referred to has a workmanlike performance and I think that is an accurate description. Once we got the second goal we seemed to play with a little more confidence and looked a lot more assured in possession and even with fifteen minutes remaining the three points never looked in any doubt.

Workmanlike seems to be the phrase to describe today's performance.

I like workmanlike - it means honest, solid and dependable, all the virtues we have been lacking for so long.

Hope to see more workmanlike victories now the Fancy Dans have left the club.

Exacty Jim. You and I and many of the older fans have seen it all before and realise that it takes a completely different approach to the game in order to be successfull in getting promoted out of this league. It takes players that have a reasonable amount of skill, but more than just skill they must have the ability and willingness to mix it and battle for results. This is most definitely NOT the league for Fancy Dans.

• Backroom

In fairness Bristol beat Watford away last week didn't they who are one of the best teams in this league

I had no idea Watford were 4th! Jheeze, with a proper manager we really could have been in with a serious shout of promotion this season. Such a shame.

Got to mention Hanley, thought he had one of his best ever games for us today, we pretty much everything in the air and was solid on the ground. Very good workman like, professional display today, Rhodes and Hanley stood out for me and no real disappointments from the rest.

• Backroom

Today was one of those days that really highlights the having or the having not of a quality striker in your side. For Bristol City had two very good chances first half but squandered both of them, whereas Rhodes scored from our two chances of arguably greater difficulty. I was really impressed with his second goal, largely because it was a little bit different to the majority of his other goals so far this season. He managed to stay strong and shrug off the defender who was cynical trying to foul him, yet despite this he still showed greater composure to finish expertly. They do say that great players make it appear they have more time on the ball and for those few seconds or so where a lesser player may have shot immediately, instead Rhodes looked as if he had all the time in the world before eventually executing the finish.

The overall performance was okay, it's already been referred to has a workmanlike performance and I think that is an accurate description. Once we got the second goal we seemed to play with a little more confidence and looked a lot more assured in possession and even with fifteen minutes remaining the three points never looked in any doubt.

That really impressed me too as when the ball went through to him I expected his lack of pace to let him down again, it did a bit but then be showed a strength that we haven't seen previously and a belting finish

Seemed to work twice as hard today as well but it probably just seems that way as now he only has to do half the closing down etc

Didn't they also beat Crystal Palace 1-0 in mid week?

Sorry maybe I got confused I thought they played them midweek must have been palace

Archived