BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

We've never really taken the chance. We've been 4 or 5 points away most of the season. Every time we've had a chance of closing the gap we've screwed it up. Home games over Christmas were probably the worst. Took one point when we needed 4 or 6.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to me like the o ly ones catching the Dingles would be Derby they seem to have the easiest run in. Of coyrse that still means Derby re capturing their form of a while back and a monumental collapse by the dingles. Dont see either happenin to be honest.

They might as well of handed B***ley the £60M or whatever it is last night. All over now I'm afraid.

I think they are talking about a minimum 120 million over 4 years under the new TV deals!

Looks to me like the o ly ones catching the Dingles would be Derby they seem to have the easiest run in. Of coyrse that still means Derby re capturing their form of a while back and a monumental collapse by the dingles. Dont see either happenin to be honest.

Oh I wish I could believe that. Wigan still on an excellent run, QPR or Derby could go on a run, we've appear to have lost Ings at least until April. No I think there is still plenty of time for it to go wrong for us. I'm no expert on your history so it may well be my old memory playing up but I have images of the season you went up under Dalglish of bookies stopping taking bets on your promotion only for it to end with you sneaking into the top 6 by the skin of your teeth? Or have I just amalgamated a load of different seasons into one memory?

Oh I wish I could believe that. Wigan still on an excellent run, QPR or Derby could go on a run, we've appear to have lost Ings at least until April. No I think there is still plenty of time for it to go wrong for us. I'm no expert on your history so it may well be my old memory playing up but I have images of the season you went up under Dalglish of bookies stopping taking bets on your promotion only for it to end with you sneaking into the top 6 by the skin of your teeth? Or have I just amalgamated a load of different seasons into one memory?

No your memory is correct, think we lost 6 in a row towards the end of the season, and sneaked in 6th spot with a last day win at Plymouth.

Would be funny to see the dingles collapse now, but i think they will just about see it through.

We've never really taken the chance. We've been 4 or 5 points away most of the season. Every time we've had a chance of closing the gap we've screwed it up. Home games over Christmas were probably the worst. Took one point when we needed 4 or 6.

Yes, we've blown it a few times when we were within touching distance of the top 6.

Shows how poor the league is that we've not played well all season and still have a mathematical chance of top 6.

That would appear to be the case, close but not close enough. It's a strange one really as when another form of pressure has been on (leeds and huddersfield) the team has stepped up and delivered. But when the pressure is related to actually getting in the play-offs, we seem to fold. It would appear that when the pressures on GB we deliver, when it's on the team, we don't. Hopefully this trend can be averted.

Shows how poor the league is that we've not played well all season and still have a mathematical chance of top 6.

We have played well in patches but have not been able to do it consistently, which is why we're always been just off the pace of the top six. I don't think it's a poor league - the lower teams are beating those at the top - it's just that there are no outstanding teams. Pragmatism, organisation and discipline wins promotion from the championship.

I think they are talking about a minimum 120 million over 4 years under the new TV deals!

The test will come if you do happen to lose a couple in quick succession, will panic set in? It does look extremely unlikely however. I know you are not wanting to tempt fate bit you must be quietly confident. I thought you might drop a few after you beat us but not so. I continue to wish you to lose every week but I get little joy on that front. Still think QPR are going to continue their slide, hopefully enough to open up another playoff spot.

Blimey Longsiders and I thought that I was a pessimist, there is no way that you will drop 10 points in 10 games without Derby or QPR dropping any as well. As much as it pains me to say it you are up and deservedly so.

On another note I highly expect Dyche to win Championship manager of the season but Stuart Gray has to be in with a shout he has done a great job has done at Sheffield Wednesday, the turn around he has achieved there has been fantastic.

This league is crap - as some of us -(including me) - have been saying for a while.

Unbeatable, Premiership side Wigan fail to beat relegation faves Yeovil at home and initial league favourites QPR get tonked at lowly Sheff Weds.

Personally I was very impressed with Sheff Wed at Ewood. We were fortunate to get a point imo. Since they've changed manager they've been a very different proposition.

And in spite of that massive hand out three teams will be relegated this season from the Premier League. I'll also have a bet that the three teams that come down will struggle to go back up at the first attempt. We've been there and done that.

You'll just be the latest " Mill Town " team to attempt to defy gravity.

The test will come if you do happen to lose a couple in quick succession, will panic set in? It does look extremely unlikely however. I know you are not wanting to tempt fate bit you must be quietly confident. I thought you might drop a few after you beat us but not so. I continue to wish you to lose every week but I get little joy on that front. Still think QPR are going to continue their slide, hopefully enough to open up another playoff spot.

Blimey Longsiders and I thought that I was a pessimist, there is no way that you will drop 10 points in 10 games without Derby or QPR dropping any as well. As much as it pains me to say it you are up and deservedly so.

On another note I highly expect Dyche to win Championship manager of the season but Stuart Gray has to be in with a shout he has done a great job has done at Sheffield Wednesday, the turn around he has achieved there has been fantastic.

I refer you both back to my post about your season under Dalglish! I won't believe it unless it is assured.

On manager of the year, I guess I'm biased but I'd have to say I do think the job Dyche has done is deserving of the award above anybody else. That said Gray has done fantastic work at Wednesday so I can definitely see a case for him.

And in spite of that massive hand out three teams will be relegated this season from the Premier League. I'll also have a bet that the three teams that come down will struggle to go back up at the first attempt. We've been there and done that.

You'll just be the latest " Mill Town " team to attempt to defy gravity.

I think the key Tyrone is what we do with the money. I'll be honest I wouldn't particularly fancy an extended stay where every season we are simply trying to avoid being bottom 3 - no fun in that kind of football. A few seasons of the money - IF USED WELL! - would be nice, give us a chance to build the infrastructure though.

For now I'll wait until we are actually there, celebrate, then prepare of a season of weekly hammerings

I refer you both back to my post about your season under Dalglish! I won't believe it unless it is assured.

On manager of the year, I guess I'm biased but I'd have to say I do think the job Dyche has done is deserving of the award above anybody else. That said Gray has done fantastic work at Wednesday so I can definitely see a case for him.

I think the key Tyrone is what we do with the money. I'll be honest I wouldn't particularly fancy an extended stay where every season we are simply trying to avoid being bottom 3 - no fun in that kind of football. A few seasons of the money - IF USED WELL! - would be nice, give us a chance to build the infrastructure though.

For now I'll wait until we are actually there, celebrate, then prepare of a season of weekly hammerings

New away end, new bogs, decent bar.......so we can be bussed in with comfort next time?

Well we can always hope that B***ley follow the usual model for clubs promoted to the Premier. Start OK....Lose a couple....Randomly sack the manager who got them promoted....Appoint Sven in his place....Spend more than they can afford on 3rd rate former star players on £40K a week....Get relegated....etc etc.

Well we can always hope that B***ley follow the usual model for clubs promoted to the Premier. Start OK....Lose a couple....Randomly sack the manager who got them promoted....Appoint Sven in his place....Spend more than they can afford on 3rd rate former star players on £40K a week....Get relegated....etc etc.

You stopped just as it was getting interesting then McClarky.... then what happens???

The most pertinent question is will they even kick off with Dyche still at his desk in the Managers office? Their first and biggest task (and fear) will be holding onto him. If managers dont capitalise on their success whilst their stock is high things will soon turn the other way and no one will want them. Dyche will well know that as every other football manager will..... and especially (now you mention him) SGE! ^_^ That man really has made the most of limited talent, a relaxed personna and trendy glasses.

Out of interest Theno, assuming we did get promoted (if we don't he'll be long gone) which PL club do you see being interested? Having got there I doubt he'd be willing to step back to the Championship. IF we do get promoted I expect to start the season with him - keeping him in December/January would be the bigger challenge I suspect if he's doing OK with us.

Out of interest Theno, assuming we did get promoted (if we don't he'll be long gone) which PL club do you see being interested? Having got there I doubt he'd be willing to step back to the Championship. IF we do get promoted I expect to start the season with him - keeping him in December/January would be the bigger challenge I suspect if he's doing OK with us.

Quite possibly, but that must be the biggest area of concern for you. He doesn't really project the 'image' of a suave, sophisticated Prem manager, his name is pronounced Dyshe and not Ditchy (as in Allarditchee) and that is prob your best hope.

Where to go to for him? He wont be offered a big club without proving himself in the Prem thats for sure. He needs a stepping stone. I'd imagine though that he'd interest the likes of the North East clubs, WHU, Villa, Stoke, Norwich and basically any club with limited finances (if that isn't a stupid term for a Prem club) who are in the hunt for a good man manager with obvious motivational skills and tactical nous and can manage with limited use of the cheque book.

Assuming Dyche is a man with ambition he will want a top 6 job and the only way forward as the likes of Moyes, Rogers and Martinez is to have relative success with an established Prem club on their cv. I'm sure those are the conditions that necessitated Allardyce's move to NUFC, Coyle's to Bolton, Lamberts to Villa, Redknapps to virtually every southern club and such.

Alternatively Dyche may decide to stay with a small club who will never have the resources to maintain Prem survival for longer than a season or two, spew his once in a career chance of making a real name for himself and then get the sack when the fans turn on him and the Directors are drinking in the last chance saloon and ultimately end up patrolling the lower leagues for the next couple of decades till he retires.

What would you do lonsiders?

It's a good point though about a manager getting out while the going is good and moving to a team which is more likely to be able to stay in the league. After al, this season has shown again that time to grow into the role and loyalty from clubs are non-existant for managers so you can't blame them for jumping ship if they get a better offer.

My question was about which clubs would be interested rather than would he be interested. He'd be crazy not to be interested, just don't see the opportunities coming until he's done a few months with us - after that who knows.

My guess would be (and to reiterate this is only IF we achieve promotion) he'll start the season with us. If he's doing well come January and looking to have a decent shout of keeping us up (unlikely but possible) he MIGHT wait until summer for his move but it all depends on who comes calling. If he's doing well but we are still looking very likely to go down then he'll jump at the first half decent offer - at least that is what I would do.

But we've still got to get there first - if we don't go up I'll be amazed if he isn't gone before the end of May.

Most people get 5 mins of fame.... if they don't capitalise it frequently doesn't come around again.
He'll know this and the best way to keep him will be huge and guaranteed financial inducements and most definitely not performance related ones. Dangerous game of course but with whats coming your way if I were Dyche's agent I'd play hardball and would demand an absolute minimum 5% of the Prem money to put pen to paper and sign another contract and not to talk to would be suitors unless a release clause was met. Lets be honest.. he's earned it as I cant believe anybody else other than SAF or Maureen would have motivated youir squad to this extent. He's been extraordinarily lucky with injuries, that wont last and he will well know it too.

It gets mighty hot in the Prem kitchen remember.

Archived