BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Not over this yet, digging in.

Kholi wants to shut his trap and concentrate on the game, or better still his poor batting.

Anderson v Bumrah - the sequel, coming up I fear.

Edited by Gav

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Looking like we should just about cling on for a draw but that this morning from Joe Root was some of the worst captaincy you will ever see on a cricket field and it took England from a commanding position to ending up battling for a draw. 

A draw? I wish.

This is a really dark day. Batting wise take Root out of this team and currently there’s nothing. 

Where do England’s selectors go from here?

• Like 2

And that's how you get a tail ender out pitch the ball up and bowl at the stumps. What a humiliating defeat that is and from the toss to todays tactics to the tail that is perhaps the worst display of captaincy in the history of test cricket from Root. England put healing Anderson's ego above winning a test match.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Brilliant by India, Root let down again by poor batting around him and the bowling yesterday was extremely poor.

India deserved that, should be 2 up really, we need a miracle to get anything from this series. 

Has the Ashes been cancelled yet 🤞

• Like 1

"I could have done things differently"..... Root after the game. Not good enough Joe. Why not be honest and admit you made a huge cock-up? 

This was a game that England could and should have probably have won. Instead it's been a humiliating defeat

England under Silverwood are rapidly descending into the shambles similar to the 1990s. The batting is the weakest I can remember. Silverwood is responsible for selection and coaching and is the most powerful figure in English cricket since Ray Illingworth 30 years ago. He needs to turn the series around or he should go

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

"I could have done things differently"..... Root after the game. Not good enough Joe. Why not be honest and admit you made a huge cock-up? 

What huge cock up did Root make?

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

This was a game that England could and should have probably have won. Instead it's been a humiliating defeat

England under Silverwood are rapidly descending into the shambles similar to the 1990s. The batting is the weakest I can remember. Silverwood is responsible for selection and coaching and is the most powerful figure in English cricket since Ray Illingworth 30 years ago. He needs to turn the series around or he should go

So Jim what you have differently with hindsight? 

Also you mention selection but who out there in the county championship is not being selected by Sliverwood and Root? 

Players have come into.another test series at home with no county championship cricket behind them again. Why isn't the county championship being played right not instead of the Royal London Cup? 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

England's bowling strategy and Root's field settings at the tail enders was wrong. This isn't hindsight.... it was bleeding obvious  during play and was pointed out by several former captains who were astonished at what Root was doing. His captaincy was weak and thoughtless. India showed how to bowl at tail enders

It's been pointed out to you more than once that hiding behind the county schedule is an excuse for England's perennially hopeless batting. Many of India's players haven't played "first-class" cricket outside Tests for years. The best players can play across all formats.

The worst thing is England are being bullied in their own backyard by a visiting team.

Any thoughts on England's pathetic display? 

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

England's bowling strategy and Root's field settings at the tail enders was wrong. This isn't hindsight.... it was bleeding obvious  during play and was pointed out by several former captains who were astonished at what Root was doing. 

I asked you cos I hadn't seen the start of this morning. Thanks for the update. 

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's been pointed out to you more than once that hiding behind the county schedule is an excuse for England's perennially hopeless batting. Many of India's players haven't played "first-class" cricket outside Tests for years. 

Not interested in India but England. I don't think its excuse at all. The ECB needs priority the county championship over the 50 over competition.  

But we are selecting the best players in the county game so who are to pick then?

Joe will probably admit he got his tactics wrong, especially to the Indian tail yesterday, it all got a bit shambolic to be honest. But without Root we’d be 0-2 down currently, both games over in 3 days, his batting has been exceptional, he’ll go down as one of England’s greatest, no doubt about that.

As for the rest of the batting lineup……

Bayliss was brought in to concentrate on white ball cricket, he won the World Cup, job done, but that has consequences and we are seeing those now with poor top and middle order batters, lacking technique and temperament, you don’t fix that over night.

Hard work required before the next test at Headingley.

Edited by Gav

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The ECB needs priority the county championship over the 50 over competition.  

Do you really think the ECB are prioritising the Royal London Cup? I don't think you could be anymore wrong the Royal London Cup has been completely disregarded by the ECB and downgraded to basically a 2nd XI competition.

The only thing that is being prioritised by the ECB this summer is the Hundred which they have recklessly and needlessly gambled the future of English cricket on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Do you really think the ECB are prioritising the Royal London Cup? I don't think you could be anymore wrong the Royal London Cup has been completely disregarded by the ECB and downgraded to basically a 2nd XI competition.

The only thing that is being prioritised by the ECB this summer is the Hundred which they have recklessly and needlessly gambled the future of English cricket on.

I couldn’t care less about the Hundred. I don’t even bother to watch it at all and I’m a cricket fan.

• Like 5

I found myself at my son’s in East London yesterday so invested £20 in an excellent day out at Lords. A great atmosphere amongst fans of both teams and some cracking cricket even if it didn’t work out if you’re an England fan.

The reality is that right now India have a stronger all round team than England do and probably still would even if we had our strongest team out. English conditions mean that the gap is a bit narrower than it would be elsewhere but it’s still there.

Blaming Bayliss is a bit far fetched. Silverwood has been in charge since October 2019. He is a more powerful figure than Bayliss because he's in charge of selection and coaching. England have not won for 7 Test matches.   Silverwood is the man responsible, and that includes picking the captain. Root is carrying the batting but there's no hiding from the fact he made a complete hash of it yesterday. 

To recap, before this series, Bumrah averaged 2 in Test cricket. He cannot bat. Shami's recent innings have been lasting, on average, eight balls. The pair had an unbroken stand of 90 for the 9th wicket

• Like 1

I wasn't really blaming Bayliss, but his brief was to improve the countries fortunes in limited overs cricket and he was very successful at that. Was that at the expense of test cricket? Maybe...but I think we're sadly lacking in decent batsmen, technique and temperament has gone and replaced with crash, bang give me the money.

Looking at Root and Silverwood is again ignoring the real problem for me, that lies elsewhere, lack of county games, where historically players have learnt their trade instead of playing international cricket seemingly 12 months a year with hardly any break.

India are the best side in the world at the moment for me, we are 4th and it showed......

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Well the Royal London Cup is being played right not instead of a couple round of Championship games which would be suitable to the Test side? 

But outside the current squad who out there we should be picking instead of the current squad? 

I've not watched any of the hundred as when its been on isn't suitable for me due to my Sleeping schedule 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well the Royal London Cup is being played right not instead of a couple round of Championship games which would be suitable to the Test side? 

The Royal London Cup isn't being played because the ECB are prioritising it over the Championship as you said, in fact the ECB have done everything but prioritise it. The reason it is being played now is that something had to either be scrapped or downgraded to make way for the Hundred and the Royal London Cup is that competition. The Hundred has completely messed up the cricketing schedule in the country this season and has been prioritised over everything.

Even if Championship cricket were being played now there is a fair chance that someone being called up to the test team would not be playing it as they would be in the hundred. But even if they were playing Championship cricket they would be playing against mainly second XI attacks (as most of the first XI attacks would be at the hundred) and that is no sort of preparation for facing this India attack.

English cricket is heading back to the dark days of the 1990's I fear and the main reason for that is the appalling way in which the ECB has been running the game in this country.

• Like 5