BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

I'd rather start again in the conference, than be held to ransom by the tossers from India.

Appointed suitable replacements? Really, really and one more time, really?

The shebster will still be on the payroll, Derek 'del boy' Shaw is running the show etc etc.

It's about time people got real, we have the worst set of board members in the history of British football, a manager who isn't a manager, a team full of wimps, a dwindling fan base, of which the club will struggle to get a grasp of again, a deflated town, and so on. Talk of a play off place, was and is so wide of the mark that if it was mapped, Australia and Britain would be adjoined.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather start again in the conference, than be held to ransom by the tossers from India.

Appointed suitable replacements? Really, really and one more time, really?

The shebster will still be on the payroll, Derek 'del boy' Shaw is running the show etc etc.

It's about time people got real, we have the worst set of board members in the history of British football, a manager who isn't a manager, a team full of wimps, a dwindling fan base, of which the club will struggle to get a grasp of again, a deflated town, and so on. Talk of a play off place, was and is so wide of the mark that if it was mapped, Australia and Britain would be adjoined.

Heard from a couple of people Singh not been paid since October and another legal battle on the cards

Ha, even better, and another Court case of where we will undoubtedly be completely embarrassed and provide a completely ridiculous defence and will lose.

Think of the comedy though. The "defending" barrister could have a great laugh, cross examining Shebby?

Question 1 "Could you explain your role as global ( snigger) advisor?"

Our overall playing budget is still much higher than the majority of other clubs in this league

Our manager has been able to sign 20 players.

In my opinion a experienced manager in this division with those resources would have finished easily in the play-offs and probably challenged for automatic promotion.

Bowyer, signed players in January 13 too whilst in a caretaker role.

I honestly see us being no closer to Bowyer knowing his best 15 let alone his best 11, I see no plan to his signings in building a team, Teams in this league who work hard, are organised and play attacking football do well. Im sure he's a nice guy, but I think its time to bring in someone with managerial experience.

Teams in this league who work hard, are organised and play attacking football do well. Im sure he's a nice guy, but I think its time to bring in someone with managerial experience.

Absolutely spot on - these teams also tend to have a settled side with few injuries. Without injuries I am sure you could name about 8 certain starters :

Robbo, Killgallon, Hanley, Spurr, Evans, Lowe, Cairney & Rhodes.

IMO opinion that is the basis of a very good team - but how often have we been able to put all those players out ?

• Backroom

Absolutely spot on - these teams also tend to have a settled side with few injuries. Without injuries I am sure you could name about 8 certain starters :

Robbo, Killgallon, Hanley, Spurr, Evans, Lowe, Cairney & Rhodes.

IMO opinion that is the basis of a very good team - but how often have we been able to put all those players out ?

Add Marshall and Conway to that for me. Lowe is a guaranteed bencher for me. Fine in the starting 11 but the perfect player to have on the bench: good at rb, good at cm and tolerable at cb and rm.

Our overall playing budget is still much higher than the majority of other clubs in this league

In my opinion a experienced manager in this division with those resources would have finished easily in the play-offs and probably challenged for automatic promotion.

I honestly see us being no closer to Bowyer knowing his best 15 let alone his best 11, I see no plan to his signings in building a team, Teams in this league who work hard, are organised and play attacking football do well. Im sure he's a nice guy, but I think its time to bring in someone with managerial experience.

Mine and a lot of other peoples opinion who don't post on here.

• Moderation Lead

Exactly right.

I'm not telling you

.. but have I not told you I support Spurs.

Ha, even better, and another Court case of where we will undoubtedly be completely embarrassed and provide a completely ridiculous defence and will lose.

And unearth a signed agreement/ contract detailing that he is actually owed more !!

Correct me if I'm wrong but before the season started, certainly last season, people said this team isn't good enough for the play offs/promotion.

What has changed since then? For me it's the players GB has brought in - Cairney, Evans, Gestede lesser extent Conway & Spurr and also the massive amount of dross he's shifted out.

He has to have time with a settled squad, in my opinion of course.

However if we are judging him on a 'playoffs push' then yes he will fail to do so.

The other thing that's changed is that the league is weaker. We're on almost the same number of points but in a better position. Some of the Bowyer apologists who believe we are making great strides would be complaining if we were in a similar position as last season.

But feel free to pretend everything's getting better just as you did when we avoided relegation at Wolves on the last day of the Scottish parasites first season.

Ps, although in response to Jonnys post not aimed at him.

I think at the start of the season, people just said "we won't get in play offs" etc, because they didn't want to be dealt even more disappointment. However once the season has played out, and fans have realised how poor a lot of sides are in this league, they have realised that, really, we should be pushing a lot harder for a promotion push.

We have sort of turned into 'good losers', where we just accept defeat because it's easier. As I always say, good losers are always losers.

Yes Bowyer has made some good signings, Cairney and maybe Evans, Conway could turn out well. Don't rate Spurr at all myself. Then there has been some really strange signings like Judge and that other lad who's been shipped out to fleetwood, Kane has even turned out to be a strange signing, as he seems to have totally given up on him. So over all signings wise, 6 out of 10, not to bad.

His pure insistence to seemingly instruct the players to drop off when in a winning position is worrying. We are very, very lucky not to have dropped a shed load more points, due to this leagues starvation of decent strikers. His substitutions are just strange at times, so is his persistence with blaming everyone under the sun for defeats.

• Backroom

The other thing that's changed is that the league is weaker.

I keep seeing this line trotted out and wonder what the basis is for that statement? Not saying it's right or wrong, but what criteria is being used to ascertain the strength or weakness of the league this year in comparison to last year?

I keep seeing this line trotted out and wonder what the basis is for that statement? Not saying it's right or wrong, but what criteria is being used to ascertain the strength or weakness of the league this year in comparison to last year?

I think its marginal to be honest, but last season Palace went up and Watford where challenging, this season swap those with Burnley and Derby. At the end of the day theres not really a good team in the league, a decent side would easily finish in the play-offs or above.

What he said but there's a post about it somewhere that explains it quite well. I thought it was in the Bolton thread but can't find it. It may be in the Championship thread.

Basically we're only two points better off than last season at this stage but a lot further up the table because there's a lot more dross. And as said above a decent side would find it easier to get into the play-offs or above than last year.

Aye, this was a good season to push for promotion.

• Backroom

To be honest I wouldn't say there's a significant amount of difference between this season and last season in terms of quality. I certainly don't think there's enough to suggest the league is significantly better or worse. The Championship has been at around the same level of difficulty for the last six or seven years at least.

In terms of our squad we do have the quality to mount a playoff push, but we've had a lot of turnover over the course of the season both on the playing and management side. Bowyer's been allowed to bring in a lot of players but the season has been disrupted by both new signings and injuries throughout the campaign. Our inconsistent form is testament to the changes that are going on within the squad at present.

I believe Bowyer deserves next season as by then he should have a settled squad with decent depth to mount a credible challenge. This season was always likely to be a step too far, imo, but we have every right to expect a better and more consistent season next term.

Of course there will be plenty saying we don't have the time to wait and see, we need to bring in a manager to guarantee promotion, etc etc... but this point of view not only fails to take into account the shift in stability such a change will again cause, but also ludicrously assumes Venky's to be competent, capable owners who would make a decent appointment as opposed to the cheapest replacement possible. Those who don't learn from history, and so on.

We've had some good results and some decent performances this season. There's been enough there at times to suggest we have a team and a work ethic capable of consistent results and performances. I'd expect to see that from us next season, and I'm willing to give Bowyer that time. I appreciate others are not, but be careful what you wish for. Bowyer was a breath of fresh air when he brought stability and calm to a club that had been in free fall... as we've seen recently, it doesn't take long for chaos to destroy what had previously been steady.

To be honest I wouldn't say there's a significant amount of difference between this season and last season in terms of quality. I certainly don't think there's enough to suggest the league is significantly better or worse. The Championship has been at around the same level of difficulty for the last six or seven years at least.

In terms of our squad we do have the quality to mount a playoff push, but we've had a lot of turnover over the course of the season both on the playing and management side. Bowyer's been allowed to bring in a lot of players but the season has been disrupted by both new signings and injuries throughout the campaign. Our inconsistent form is testament to the changes that are going on within the squad at present.

I believe Bowyer deserves next season as by then he should have a settled squad with decent depth to mount a credible challenge. This season was always likely to be a step too far, imo, but we have every right to expect a better and more consistent season next term.

Of course there will be plenty saying we don't have the time to wait and see, we need to bring in a manager to guarantee promotion, etc etc... but this point of view not only fails to take into account the shift in stability such a change will again cause, but also ludicrously assumes Venky's to be competent, capable owners who would make a decent appointment as opposed to the cheapest replacement possible. Those who don't learn from history, and so on.

We've had some good results and some decent performances this season. There's been enough there at times to suggest we have a team and a work ethic capable of consistent results and performances. I'd expect to see that from us next season, and I'm willing to give Bowyer that time. I appreciate others are not, but be careful what you wish for. Bowyer was a breath of fresh air when he brought stability and calm to a club that had been in free fall... as we've seen recently, it doesn't take long for chaos to destroy what had previously been steady.

Bowyer shows no sign of trying to get and keep a settled squad or first eleven, even taking injuries into account.

I agree that it's more than probable that those rich idiots would employ a complete tosser to decide who is the next manager, which would mean we could get another cheap replacement so it's not as black and white as it would be at a normally ran club. But if Bowyer continues to make mistakes we will decline because I can only see the squad being weakened every transfer window despite some decent signings in Cairney and Evans. The longer he takes to learn, the less chance we'll get promoted and if we don't get promoted I just don't know how our finances are going to sort themselves out. It seems we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

• Backroom

Bowyer shows no sign of trying to get and keep a settled squad or first eleven, even taking injuries into account.

Hanley and Dann were our first choice centre back pairing for almost the entire season until Dann was sold. Spurr has played almost every game. Lowe has also played pretty much every game, to the fury of many on here - ditto Rhodes. Bowyer's rotation has come primarily on the wings - the spine of the team has actually remained solid for the majority of the season. Centre midfield would probably have been more solid but for Evans injury in October which threw a real spanner into the works. Bowyer really hasn't experimented as much as you may think - in fact one of the main things people use as a stick to beat him with is his attempts to play Lowe/Williamson together at all times!

I agree that it's more than probable that those rich idiots would employ a complete tosser to decide who is the next manager, which would mean we could get another cheap replacement so it's not as black and white as it would be at a normally ran club. But if Bowyer continues to make mistakes we will decline because I can only see the squad being weakened every transfer window despite some decent signings in Cairney and Evans. The longer he takes to learn, the less chance we'll get promoted and if we don't get promoted I just don't know how our finances are going to sort themselves out. It seems we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I'm not so sure. I think Gary is close to having the team he wants now. We still need a right back and a replacement for Dunn, but other than a couple of loans I don't see why we would need any significant incomings over the course of the summer. Similarly I don't expect to see too many players of significance leaving the club - though if Rhodes goes that could inflict some damage (or release the team's shackles, depending on who you listen to :P )

Regardless, I'd argue as a rookie manager he's performed above expectations this season. We're in a bad run of form now and after losing 4-0 to Bolton and then 2-1 at home to Burnley of course there will be a lot of negativity surrounding the club and the manager. I just hope my faith in Bowyer is repaid because if he does fail then I think we're in some serious excrement.

Archived