BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Williams would never have employed Bowyer but if he had, he'd have been replaced before now if the rumoured target was promotion or bust.

Williams would have invited applicants for the vacancy and picked what he thought was the best man for the job. As pretty much any other club does.

Not us. We just pluck novices out of a hat. Sometimes not even the easy option and wasting millions in the process. I still can't make sense of much of it. Appleton is particularly baffling.

Hanley and Dann were our first choice centre back pairing for almost the entire season until Dann was sold. Spurr has played almost every game. Lowe has also played pretty much every game, to the fury of many on here - ditto Rhodes. Bowyer's rotation has come primarily on the wings - the spine of the team has actually remained solid for the majority of the season. Centre midfield would probably have been more solid but for Evans injury in October which threw a real spanner into the works. Bowyer really hasn't experimented as much as you may think - in fact one of the main things people use as a stick to beat him with is his attempts to play Lowe/Williamson together at all times!

I'm not so sure. I think Gary is close to having the team he wants now. We still need a right back and a replacement for Dunn, but other than a couple of loans I don't see why we would need any significant incomings over the course of the summer. Similarly I don't expect to see too many players of significance leaving the club - though if Rhodes goes that could inflict some damage (or release the team's shackles, depending on who you listen to :P )

Regardless, I'd argue as a rookie manager he's performed above expectations this season. We're in a bad run of form now and after losing 4-0 to Bolton and then 2-1 at home to Burnley of course there will be a lot of negativity surrounding the club and the manager. I just hope my faith in Bowyer is repaid because if he does fail then I think we're in some serious excrement.

How many players have played this season? I think i read 37. As for stability of Dann, Hanley and Spurr, well yes you are right but thats surely more due to the fact we had no replacements. We have signed more players this season than a lot of clubs in this league have in their squads. Some signings so astute they have already been let out on loan to Fleetwood, Brentford & Ross County when we where assured they where 1st team players.

• Backroom

Wasn't JW canned rather than a case of him quitting?

Resigned.

Is this the same guy that appointed Paul Ince ? Let's not get carried away.

The same one that rectified that very mistake.

• Backroom

How many players have played this season? I think i read 37. As for stability of Dann, Hanley and Spurr, well yes you are right but thats surely more due to the fact we had no replacements. We have signed more players this season than a lot of clubs in this league have in their squads. Some signings so astute they have already been let out on loan to Fleetwood, Brentford & Ross County when we where assured they where 1st team players.

I agree that we have made far too many signings and many of them are baffling. The likes of Judge, Marrow, Songo, etc... make no sense to me. That said, the spine of the team has remained relatively steady despite these incomings and that's been a positive. The usage of a million wingers less so.

Is this the same guy that appointed Paul Ince ? Let's not get carried away.

Everybody makes mistakes. Ince was a ridiculous one but nonetheless, JW quickly fixed said mistake by appointing Allardyce.

John decided that Ince had to go after the Wigan game and within a couple of days Ince was out and Sam was in.

How sure are you that it was JW's decision, especially in light of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/dec/09/blackburn-premierleague

It was "absolutely crazy" to judge Incey after 16 games, according to JW. I guess 17 was the magic number?

People on here are unreal. Yes, Bowyer has made mistakes...who doesn't!? It's his first full year in the job and he has to learn from them. We are comfortable and have seen a huge improvement from the last 3 years on and off the field. There are people here with expectations far exceeding reality. There are better teams and much bigger clubs in this league than us. Only a fool would have expected promotion this season after what we've been through. We lost to Burnley yes but the performance wasn't as bad as many on here portray...as Andy Cryer mentioned on twitter...Burnley are simply a better team.

Someone in the new manager thread said Bowyer has definitely lost the fans. Has he balls! He's lost a few unrealistic idiots who think we should be beating everyone and fighting at the top of the premier league and he's lost some reasonable rovers fans who just haven't taken to him...we are all entitled to our opinions and I think the majority of fans are behind him and thankful to him for what he has done this season. He has removed a lot of deadwood, made us solid (at least at home), brought in some good players, brought the average age well down and built an almost all British team. He has put some pride back in the club and if Rhodes had scored a second and we went on to win 2-0 on Sunday most would be on here praising Bowyer.

Some of you are fickle and pathetic or just need to moan at everything.

'We need a real manager like curbishley, reid, coyle'....WHAT IN THE MOTHER OF GOD ARE YOU SAYING!?

What have these so called managers done recently? Coyles Wigan are still below us and they've had a decent manager winning every game for the last few months. What did he do to Bolton? And Burnley before he left?

Pathetic. Same with Reid and Curbishley.

What gives people on here, students and fans who work in a completely different industry the right to say Bowyer isn't a football manager. He has been a coach for years and probably had ambitions to be a manager or he would have turned it down. It's like a supervisor in a factory working hard for years, getting a management position and then people down the pub who know nothing about his business saying 'but you're not a real manager...you're a supervisor...you should be replaced by that manager who failed in the factory down the road.'

Wake up and face reality. This season hasn't been a disaster. Burnley deserved to beat us and deserve to get promotion. We don't but i'm a lot happier than I have been in recent years. Bowyer deserves another season, then he can be judged if no further progress (play offs) is made.

Yes, Bowyer has made mistakes...who doesn't!?

What gives people on here, students and fans who work in a completely different industry the right to say Bowyer isn't a football manager.

Wake up and face reality. This season hasn't been a disaster.

Oh deary me.

Bowyer continues to make the same mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone makes the same critical ones repeatedly.

The second point is insulting, you're essentially saying we should all know our place. Well hold on, who are you as a school teacher in the Czech Republic to say that he is a football manager? You're permitted an opinion on Bowyer, so why shouldn't other fans be? I think it's because you don't like their opinions that you don't think they should be allowed to have any.

This season could yet turn out to be a financial disaster, it might well have been a case of "promotion or bust".

Totally sure.

You mean you are sure that it was JW's decision to do precisely what David Brown told him to do!

Personally I am also 'totally sure' that it was NOT JW's intention to pot Paul Ince when he did. Not telling tales out of school as everybody concerned has left the club BUT I can rem this because had a meeting arranged to discuss my continuing opposition (on here) to Paul Ince at JW's request and with JW in his office on either the Tuesday or the Wednesday after that Wigan match. The meeting had been arranged the week before and was hurriedly cancelled by JW's secretary when Ince was sacked and JW had to sort Allardyce's appointment out pdq. My meeting and my opinions being rendered irrelevent by his sacking.

People on here are unreal. Yes, Bowyer has made mistakes...who doesn't!? It's his first full year in the job and he has to learn from them. We are comfortable and have seen a huge improvement from the last 3 years on and off the field. There are people here with expectations far exceeding reality. There are better teams and much bigger clubs in this league than us. Only a fool would have expected promotion this season after what we've been through. We lost to Burnley yes but the performance wasn't as bad as many on here portray...as Andy Cryer mentioned on twitter...Burnley are simply a better team.

Someone in the new manager thread said Bowyer has definitely lost the fans. Has he balls! He's lost a few unrealistic idiots who think we should be beating everyone and fighting at the top of the premier league and he's lost some reasonable rovers fans who just haven't taken to him...we are all entitled to our opinions and I think the majority of fans are behind him and thankful to him for what he has done this season. He has removed a lot of deadwood, made us solid (at least at home), brought in some good players, brought the average age well down and built an almost all British team. He has put some pride back in the club and if Rhodes had scored a second and we went on to win 2-0 on Sunday most would be on here praising Bowyer.

Some of you are fickle and pathetic or just need to moan at everything.

'We need a real manager like curbishley, reid, coyle'....WHAT IN THE MOTHER OF GOD ARE YOU SAYING!?

What have these so called managers done recently? Coyles Wigan are still below us and they've had a decent manager winning every game for the last few months. What did he do to Bolton? And Burnley before he left?

Pathetic. Same with Reid and Curbishley.

What gives people on here, students and fans who work in a completely different industry the right to say Bowyer isn't a football manager. He has been a coach for years and probably had ambitions to be a manager or he would have turned it down. It's like a supervisor in a factory working hard for years, getting a management position and then people down the pub who know nothing about his business saying 'but you're not a real manager...you're a supervisor...you should be replaced by that manager who failed in the factory down the road.'

Wake up and face reality. This season hasn't been a disaster. Burnley deserved to beat us and deserve to get promotion. We don't but i'm a lot happier than I have been in recent years. Bowyer deserves another season, then he can be judged if no further progress (play offs) is made.

Just a few points about your post

The owners expected promotion I believe, then, they are fools of the highest order

Has he balls! don't think so with some of his tactics

When did you last look at the table, Wigan are in 8th place we are in 10th

Football manager, what gives you the right to say he is one?

This season has not finished yet so it may become a disaster

Whether the dingles deserved to beat us or not is irrelevant, it should never have got to this stage

Finally the fans pays their money and can say what they feel

I didnt say he IS a manager....I said he has an ambition to be and its too early to judge if he is or not considering he hasnt exactly done a terrible job.

On the other hand people here are clearly saying he ISN'T a manager.

I think the majority of fans...mostly silent, support him. Count the negative fans on here...around 30...from an active fanbase of around 50,000 (wild guess)...so it means nothing.

I agree with Kamy...he has made mistakes but also done a lot of good and now isnt the time to judge him. if by November we are way off target with no further progress then fair enough.

I didnt say he IS a manager....I said he has an ambition to be and its too early to judge if he is or not considering he hasnt exactly done a terrible job.

I think the majority of fans...mostly silent, support him. Count the negative fans on here...around 30...from an active fanbase of around 50,000 (wild guess)...so it means nothing.

I agree with Kamy...he has made mistakes but also done a lot of good and now isnt the time to judge him. if by November we are way off target with no further progress then fair enough.

Love how you quote Rovers fans after they lose their first derby in 35 years in your previous posts...and pathetically try to use that as evidence of how they are "stupid" and "pathetic". Any decent Rovers fan/human being would understand the outrage and make allowances...

He's not a manager yet from what I've seen so far, still at that coach type of level. That should be expected considering he has never been a first team coach or assistant manager and made a large career jump.

Even though it looks like he is able to motivate players and instill a team spirit, tactically he is very suspect. Two holding midfielders against teams you should be looking to pick up points from especially at home isn't the way. I also think he has become obsessed with rotation, the guy can't pick a settled starting 11 and that is not because of a large amount of injuries as healthy players have also been dropped. The best teams tend to only make changes to a side if they are forced to due to injuries, suspensions or a really bad run of form.

Could he become a manager one day? Maybe, but that could take years. Problem is that Rovers might not have years left financially in its current position.

If you're going to use stats at least do the research rather than plucking figures from thin air.

I know people who don't post on here who feel the same way.

Also, it's not about being 'negative', it's about wanting the club to make forward progress again.

Ideally I'd like Bowyer to stay on and prove me wrong, but If he does stay on I expect that we'll tread water at best.

Archived