BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

Wage bill has been proven numerous times to be the number one factor in where a team finishes. Look at Rovers last decade as a great example, an overall negative transfer spend that should have seen us relegated every season. But Williams spent about 85% of our total revenue on our wage bill and that's what kept us competitive. 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for in football.

Just because that set of players didn't perform last season doesn't mean they're a shitload of dross, look at who their managers were last season and look at what they've done in the rest of their careers. Bowyer can't point to them, say "well they were rubbish for Berg and Appleton" and then use that as an excuse, the reason he's got the job and Berg and Appleton haven't is because he's been entrusted with getting more out of those players that they gave our previous managers.

Robinson has more pedigree than practically every keeper in the division, and 33 isn't old for a goalkeeper.

Dann was a key part in a very good Birmingham defence in 09/10, if he played like that he'd be one of the best defenders in the league.

Best scored 10 in 29 in the PL before coming here.

Rhodes is probably the best striker in the league.

Dunn is responsible for half our points so far and every game he's fit he's the best player on the pitch in both teams by a mile.

Fine, Bowyer hasn't had the benefit of Rochina yet.

Etuhu has over 100 appearances in the PL.

If these players were just complete garbage and of no use to Bowyer, then they'd have been like that for every manager throughout their careers. The fact is most managers have got them to play well, and that's the reason we bought them.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Looking at the squad we have I just can't agree with that. But it all comes down to how we rate our players and obviously some will rate them higher than others.

One thing I do agree with is that we need to go up, as financial armageddeon is a-comin' if we fail to do so. I just don't think it's realistic to assume we can attain that with the resources being given to the club by Venky's.

I agree the squad isn't good enough to go up as it is, even though we have got arguably the best striker in the league. Barring some strengthening in January I don't think we've got any hope of getting promoted.

But we should have a better squad and be doing better with the resources we've had. We also shouldn't be risking our promotional prospects with a string of rookie managers. The more you look at it, the more it seems absolutely crazy.

It's like Man Utd appointing a dour mid-table manager to take over from Fergie. But they'd never do that.

0711c9790989641bc4031b8178cf0643.png

Lets face it , the tactic of getting a prem manager to come down to the championship is becoming more and more unlikely because of money constraints in FFP and to be honest how many out of work managers are available that would definitely get us promoted and keep us up on a shoestring. If we did get promoted this or next season it`s going to cost us tens of millions to rebuild the squad again so that we aren`t playing at being yoyo between the two leagues. I cannot ever see that happening under our current regime, oh and before we start spending those tens of millions we will also have to payout a lot of players that we have brought in to get out of the championship as well.

Bowyer out!!!

3 wins and these were against the bottom 2 and the second worse defence in the league.....too many people getting carried away again on this board

Fair embarrassing really arent you!

Bowyer deserves the support and the trust of every man in Blackburn. After the freefall of the last three years and the idoicy of the lunes from pune, GB is literally a god send.

We have fallen on our feet, a guy who cares, knows the club, and seems to have a good eye for a player. Only a fool with no memory could say that we are underperforming. To expect anything like promotion is ridicilous when you consider the last three years.

I've said all along that Rovers are where they ought to be (mid-table) and that Bowyer shows many signs of promise. However one promising caretaker stint and a decent start to this season does not make him a good manager. Granted it will become clearer over time. But for all the talk that he gets tactics, signings, press conferences etc. right - there's also been a number of mistakes on all fronts. For example the Hull lads have been excellent business, but unsure of the likes of Marrow, Marshall and Judge (the latter where he actually fits in.) However, I do think people are jumping overboard that he's the real deal now though - and am not certain he'll get us to the next level. Personally I think he'll make a decent manager, but i suspect for us to be successful - and this is the point I'm trying to make - that we need a very good manager to progress.

Could we get better - Chaddy I agree, it'd have been a lot easier last season. However with the facilities etc. that we have I feel we could still attract a good manager. And if we had footballing people in charge, or left to run the place, we could possibly still attract one. That's the problem though: having the right people making decisions.

in the championship you need a 24/25 man squad for this league cos you will pick up injuries and suspensions in this league. so that's why Judge will fit in as a squad player and I think Marshall will be a regular start within the next couple of months.

I think Bowyer will get us up there challenging for promotion this season. we have got a very talented squad and players who have experience in this league.

on the subject on whether we could get better- I don't think we can cos of Venkys reputation within the football world regarding of our facilities. plus with these FFP rules coming in aswell will put a lot of unemployed Premier league quality managers off taking charge of championship clubs due to lack of money for transfers and bring in their own players.

Lets face it , the tactic of getting a prem manager to come down to the championship is becoming more and more unlikely because of money constraints in FFP and to be honest how many out of work managers are available that would definitely get us promoted and keep us up on a shoestring. If we did get promoted this or next season it`s going to cost us tens of millions to rebuild the squad again so that we aren`t playing at being yoyo between the two leagues. I cannot ever see that happening under our current regime, oh and before we start spending those tens of millions we will also have to payout a lot of players that we have brought in to get out of the championship as well.

If only we had been bought by decent owners, even if they were'nt super wealthy as long as the had a some business nous and a bit of old fashioned

common sense, they may have looked at our record as a club, even after Jack died.Yes that 11 year stint in the Premier League which never really

looked likely to end any time soon, well at least we did'nt have to go through any ' final day shoot-outs until Venky's and wee Stevie turned up.

Yes it really can happen for a small town club, I now look at the likes of West Brom and Swansea as perfect examples of how to be successful

by using the huge tv money on offer to be at least be competitive in the top flight, even if only outside the top six.

You're right though never going to happen under this lot, I mean Derek Shaw versus John Williams, that says it all really.

Bowyer out!!!

3 wins and these were against the bottom 2 and the second worse defence in the league.....too many people getting carried away again on this board

Let's just imagine that you were in charge at Ewood and you did sack him. Who would be your replacement given the current constraints and circumstances?

what do some people not learn from history the last thing we need is a change of manager GB is doing a good job and in time will only get better. Now a change in owners that would go down well very well indeed

what do some people not learn from history the last thing we need is a change of manager GB is doing a good job and in time will only get better. Now a change in owners that would go down well very well indeed

We'd likely go bust unless to quote Alan Sugar we found another 'idiot with a death wish'. Whilst we were in the Prem I wanted em to buggeroff but now we are without the Prem millions and heavily loss making I'd fear for our existence.

I don't agree that we could attract "a very good manager", or at least not a proven one. Bowyer has done nothing wrong this season that would justify him getting the sack. If you feel you could sack this man then I'm glad I don't work for you. You just can't go about sacking people who have done nothing to deserve it, especially as you have no idea who you could get to do a better job and I don't believe you do.

The average revenue of Championship clubs is about £10-15m, and as with last season, we're getting £16m in parachute payment money. So we've got double the revenue, and double the wage bill, of most clubs in this league. So sorry, mid-table isn't good enough in my opinion.

Said before Bournemouth that I'd still give Bowyer time. As some people have been at pains to point out, very few of Bowyer's critics actually want him sacked. But I'm not willing to back him unconditionally, he has to improve us from our current position. Maybe he can do that and if he does then great.

I think SHK summarizes what I'm trying to say very well - that I'm not asking for him to be sacked, just that 1) we aren't doing amazing and 2) this means Bowyer doesn't get unconditional support in a vote of confidence (as oppose to match day support) regardless of results. I think he has the potential to do well, but the question that has to be asked, is when does not doing great become not good enough? Especially as we need promotion.

Also the idea Bowyer has done nothing wrong - am not sure on that. Jeez I like the guy, he's a top bloke and would love him to succeed. I'd love in 6 months time to think what was I worrying about. But given we're where we are in the league, that'd suggest he's not got everything spot on. I like him, but he's not perfect that people are making out.

Also Al we'll never know could we attract better. You think we won't, I suspect we could - different opinions. We've had clowns doing the selecting, and have not gone about getting proper football people doing a proper football manager recruitment process. If we had, I think you'd be surprised - I think we could have done. Admittedly each time we don't and as our situation worsens we stand a bit less chance, but certainly last season and still now, I think a decent recruitment process might've pleasantly surprised us. Who would I get - well I'm no expert and don't have the time (plus it's not my job) to put together a comprehensive shortlist. But prior to this season I think there may have been a host of names previously we could have got last season McCarthy, McDermott, Holloway - heck even the chap who got Montpellier the title was asking for a move to the UK. But of course, we've never really investigated, so again don't know whether we could have done better.

Looking at the squad we have I just can't agree with that. But it all comes down to how we rate our players and obviously some will rate them higher than others.

One thing I do agree with is that we need to go up, as financial armageddeon is a-comin' if we fail to do so. I just don't think it's realistic to assume we can attain that with the resources being given to the club by Venky's.

This is the big driving factor. If this were not an issue I'd be more than happy under Bowyer, a likeable guy doing a decent job, as it'd be enough to see the club decently run. However financial armageddon means we need to really think about every single thing we can to avoid this. Which may, possibly, this season mean considering Bowyer's position.

Neil Warnock.

Interesting choice. Tbf he has got multiple promotions as experience, which is a major plus. And he is available. Oh and has worked under nutty owners before.

However, his last job with limited funds with Leeds he did really badly - the fans hated him and if anything the team regressed under him. He also failed to get the best out of a few very talented players (like McCormack) and didn't have any plan B. He'd have probably been worth investigating this summer, but if I were doing the recruiting I'd have serious reservations over how he did at Leeds. I do wonder if his time and tactics have gone. Certainly if fans didn't like Sam's way of playing I can't imagine them being too happy with Warnock!

Pullis on the other hand may have been worth investigating seriously over the summer. Again question marks over style, but has been more successful in employing them with Stoke and kept them up without too much fuss. Also worked under a tight budget in the early days with Stoke.

Again this is not saying Bowyer should go - but as people have asked who they would approach, this could be one option.

How many promotions...?

I bet the loanees wouldn't be as kean. ..

What is up with you? If, heaven forbid, someone had been in a coma since 2010 and just come out of it to find Rovers in this state, then I could understand them having reservations about Bowyer. But, despite your posts suggesting otherwise, I'm guessing you're not a victim of such circumstances. In which case, and considering the mind blowing scale of inept decisions made at Rovers in the last 3 years, I cannot for the life of me see why you would see fit to criticise Gary Bowyer. A man and a manager who has got the side performing pretty damn well. Far better than the previous incumbents who were deserving of doubters. I wouldn't object if you ever gave any reasoning for your opinion. But, and if I'm off the mark then I apologise, you seem to enjoy posting just to get a reaction and that is just a bit strange to be honest.

Archived