BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] QPR [Away]; 7th December.

m1st

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good away performance and a good point against a team that probably have better players than us in 7 or 8 positions. QPR absolutely hammered us the first 7 or 8 minutes, but then Taylor went down a bit longer than he needed after a tackle and stopped play, which was enough to break their momentum. After that it was an even game for 70 minutes, possibly with Rovers edging it in clear cut chances (Lowe, Marshall, Rhodes and a Dunne clearance all came close), but after that the game degenerated into end-to-end football that suited QPR much better than us, and we were perhaps lucky to get away with a point in the end. Eastwood made an absolutely amazing save from Austin, and later saw a header bounce off the inside of the post and then hacked away on the goal line.

Williamson shielded our back four with Lowe just 2 or 3 steps in fron of him, and Taylor played at Lowe's side rather than behind Rhodes. This lead to us attacking on the flanks or launching it long rather than trying to play our way through the middle, but it worked quite well with good performances from Marshall and Cairney on the flanks. Everyone in defense had a good game although both full backs struggled defensively towards the end of the game, while Williamson both defended and distributed impressively. Rhodes actually had a good game without scoring, even if he should have put away at least one today. Always looked dangerous and offered both running and smart flicks, we lost a lot of attacking threat when he was brought off for DJ. Still, Eastwood was our best player today with that amazing save and generally safe and sound goalkeeping in difficult circumstances, great choice by Bowyer.

Impressive showing from the Rovers away support as well, although it's very much discussable wether they were right in hassling Hoilett. Other than 1 or 2 "Come on you Rs!" from the QPR stands our supporters easily made the most noise throughout the game.

The 70s /80s were the halcyon days of football chants.

How I long to hear a rousing chorus of 'you're gonna get your f###ing heads kicked in' again.

I remember the ' Harry Roberts ' song from the 60s, think you'd get locked up for that one these days !

Oh and ' Over the wall we go all coppers are b*******.

I remember the ' Harry Roberts ' song from the 60s, think you'd get locked up for that one these days !

Oh and ' Over the wall we go all coppers are b*******.

I remember Sunderland fans at Leeds chanting to a line of Yorkshire police, "You'll never catch the Ripper." This was at the time of the fake tape. I accept it was in very bad taste, but I also found it funny.

Ah yes. There was another one about an ambulance, I seem to remember. The chants have got very unimaginative though

It was the very similar and wonderfully witty and imaginative "You're going home in a f****** ambulance."

Sung of course by fans at fans 99% of whom of course would run a mile rather than get involved in a ruck.

Ah the good old days when you had to get up an hour before you went to bed to lick t'road clean.

It was the very similar and wonderfully witty and imaginative "You're going home in a f****** ambulance."

Sung of course by fans at fans 99% of whom of course would run a mile rather than get involved in a ruck.

Ah the good old days when you had to get up an hour before you went to bed to lick t'road clean.

An hour - Luxury !!!!!

You didn't have to remind me. I often whistle it to myself, as I am playing with my chemistry set!

A great well earned point but a sign of the times that this thread has been viewed on less than 13000 occasions. Not too long ago used to be in the region of 30k per away game.

some of us are busy :)

The 70s /80s were the halcyon days of football chants.

How I long to hear a rousing chorus of 'you're gonna get your f###ing heads kicked in' again.

"You're going home in an ambulance".

I'm not a kill-joy, I love having a laugh.

But it's my prerogative not to join in. Fair play, really.

"England's ... number six!"

Back to the game, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a horror show. I wonder if teh back four were so solid because the 'keeper had changed (notwithstanding his horror show in the Blackpool friendly). I did think the worst when Dann kicked off by belting by the ball upfield and 5 seconds later it was out of play.

I did think Josh King was decent, he stuck to the basics of getting down the touchline and pulling it back. He did over-hit one cross when we had men in the box in a threatening position. But on that one showing, he does have promise.

I think Chris Taylor could end up being the heartbeat of the side, he was up for it, definitely. Tommy Spurr caught my eye, too. Very good defensively.

Rhodes is far from the finished article. He's not quick enough to get away with not developing further.

Call me bitter, but abusing Hoillet is fine by me, as long as we steer clear of racist stuff.

So you condone abusing another human being as long as it's not because of what race he is. :wacko:

You probably didn't mean it that way but it read queer to me.

"You're going home in an ambulance".

I'm not a kill-joy, I love having a laugh.

But it's my prerogative not to join in. Fair play, really.

"England's ... number six!"

Back to the game, I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a horror show. I wonder if teh back four were so solid because the 'keeper had changed (notwithstanding his horror show in the Blackpool friendly). I did think the worst when Dann kicked off by belting by the ball upfield and 5 seconds later it was out of play.

I did think Josh King was decent, he stuck to the basics of getting down the touchline and pulling it back. He did over-hit one cross when we had men in the box in a threatening position. But on that one showing, he does have promise.

I think Chris Taylor could end up being the heartbeat of the side, he was up for it, definitely. Tommy Spurr caught my eye, too. Very good defensively.

Rhodes is far from the finished article. He's not quick enough to get away with not developing further.

Nice to hear the views of a supporter who rarely gets to see the team in the flesh. Glad you enjoyed it, Bryan.

Well today's result was great. However I have just had an even more satisfying result. My apologies for going off topic.

I moved my elderly in laws in about 18 months ago. My father in law has pushed my patience to its limits and beyond. However, I have just discovered that I can change his sky channel with my remote through the glass doors which divide our living rooms. He just walked in having made a cuppa to find the tv on a very questionable channel and my mother in law tutting.

Was at the game and we were outstanding. Went into thinking a 2-3 nil loss was on the cards, particularly after seeing their team sheet, but came away in disbelief we didn't win that game with ease. Created guilt edge chances which we didn't take. They had no answers to breaking us down, we were rock solid today.

Henley was the best player on the pitch. Hoillet and phillips, two of the best wingers in this league, could not get past him. Outstanding. Spurr was very good as well on the other side.

Williamson, Eastwood and Taylor were also excellent. Taylor pressed a QPR player ever time they got the ball and didn't give them a minutes piece. Reminded me a lot of Robbie savage today. Williamson was in the right place at the right time and shielded the back four superbly. His build up play from midfield was also very good, so composed on the ball and set off a lot of good counter attacks.

Eastwood made one excellent save and looked assured. Didn't have a lot to do in truth but looked very assured.

The other change that was made, Marshall in for king, also worked very well. Marshall had the beating of their full back and put in two incredible crosses which we should have scored from. His delivery into the box from the left wing were pin point. He lacks the pace king has but he has more quality with his final ball.

Finally, a word for Gary Bowyer. Someone said earlier on here that we looked well drilled and that's exactly what we were. Well organised, well drilled and full of commitment. It's all very well a manager coming out criticising the players and saying things have to change but talk is cheap. We needed to see that Bowyer was capable of making those changes in practice and not just talk about them. This was a big game for him today in that respect and he passed with flying colours. If we can replicate our home defending away from home then we'll be onto something.

QPR are clearly better player for player than us but today we were the better side due to astute tactics and the players working their socks off (apart from DJ when he came on; he strolled around. Poor attitude. Get rid.)

Well today's result was great. However I have just had an even more satisfying result. My apologies for going off topic.

I moved my elderly in laws in about 18 months ago. My father in law has pushed my patience to its limits and beyond. However, I have just discovered that I can change his sky channel with my remote through the glass doors which divide our living rooms. He just walked in having made a cuppa to find the tv on a very questionable channel and my mother in law tutting.

That is the funniest thing I have read on here for a very, very long time!

Thanks for going off topic.

That is the funniest thing I have read on here for a very, very long time!

Thanks for going off topic.

I'm telling you mate. Its unbearable. The other day I deliberately trod on a madeira cake he had bought at the supermarket and left on the kitchen floor all day. Im in my thirties!!!! He makes me do these childish things. I'm not proud.

I'm telling you mate. Its unbearable. The other day I deliberately trod on a madeira cake he had bought at the supermarket and left on the kitchen floor all day. Im in my thirties!!!! He makes me do these childish things. I'm not proud.

Keep doing it. Much more entertaining than the X Factor sh!te my missus has put on in the background.

That is really funny, and what made it for me is that I am probably of a similar age to your father in law. LOL

Top result today. Not what was expected. Credit where it's due.

Glad to hear one or two who went to the game thought Taylor was good again, because he was absolutely outstanding against Leeds and if he can keep up that level of performance we've got a real player at this level.

He was very good. Far better in a central role than out wide which is where he was playing earlier in the season.

He has boundless energy and gets in peoples faces which makes the opposition make mistakes. He lacks a little quality in the final third but his strenghts far outweigh his weaknesses.

Archived