BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brum, Brum, 29/12/13, the debate goes on!

I was disappointed yesterday, and I have watched the debate unfold. Good points made on both sides....I felt SW bossed us, rather than the other way round, and GB bottled it. Just my opinion, and I can see why he thought different (he's the manager after all, I'm a whinging fan). But......we are on a run, a home game against a team lower in the division but on a bit of a run of their own. So the season moves on, a win, a fairly good December. Draw, further frustration. Lose, all hell may be let loose......discuss?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Based on Thursday's result we really need to win this one if we are seriously harbouring playoff hopes. With that in mind GB simply has to be more positive. I can understand his caution - I wouldn't trust a fair few of the team either - but at home we must press and attempt to dictate the game. A failure to do so will see us stagnate in mid-table. It's arguably where we should be considering the quality of the team and the rookie status of the manager, however there are signs we could do better and with a striker like Rhodes we really do have an opportunity to push up the league with a little more incision.

A lot rests on Dunn's fitness. If he starts and we score early I think we can win this one comfortably, but if we still haven't scored after the first forty-five are up then we have a problem. If Dunn isn't fit then IMO Rochina must start behind Rhodes, as Gestede and DJ just aren't suited for that role. Rochina could spark us to victory or cause the whole thing to turn into a clusterferk, but it's a chance I think we have to take if Dunn isn't available. Another bore-draw isn't necessary but I fear that's what we'll get if Bowyer decides to be defensive again - or we'll be on the end of a narrow defeat.

With Lingard suspended they will probably play the giant Zigic and we generally don't handle ungainly giants too well. If he plays there will be a responsibility of our wide players to stop the supply to him. I expect Birmingham to be a bit like Millwall and Wednesday and try and deny our players space and time. We simply have to be smarter and move the ball quicker than we have at home recently. If Dunn is fit I would expect him to start with King restored out wide. I also think Cairney should start in a more advanced central role to play in tandem with Dunn when we have the ball.

A win is the most important thing after dropping points on Boxing Day.

I can see this being one dull game.

Not a chance Dunny will be fit, probably won't see him again until around the 8th/9th of March.

This is probably the ideal game to give Rochina a start against a pretty mean Brum defence, to see if he can open them up.

Eastwood

Henley

Dann

Hanley

Spurr

Lowe

Cairney

Marshall

Rochina

King

Rhodes

Subs - Kean, Kilgallon, Kane Williamson, Gedeste, Taylor (if fit?!), Campbell

0-0, 12,373

in all honesty, our better football is played with 1 striker and somebody like Dunny in behind Rhodes. so Rochina tucked in would be a good choice, with King and Marshall down the flanks and Wiliamson and Cairney in the center.

Eastwood

Henley Dann Hanley Spurr

Marshall Williamson Cairney King

Rochina

Rhodes

Wheelock still banging the drum re booing in the back of today's LT. Seems the club can do what they like and the only controversy to be courted involved a pop at the supporters (again). Must try hard Paul.

The spin is that Bowyer has called for a "wall of noise". Not sure he'll get that from a half empty Ewood although the boos will probably happen again if he goes defensive after an hour at 0-0. :rolleyes:

(No I'm not condoning booing).

Looking at the game, Rovers have one main asset, that is a genuine threat to Brum comes in the form of Josh Kings pace.

With this and there being at least four coaches in and around that first team, surley they should be getting King to produce that end product that will makes that telling advantage count.

I would go for this line up

Eastwood; Henley, Dann, Hanley, Spurr; Lowe, Cairney; Marshall, Rochina, King; Rhodes.

subs:- Kean, Kane, KIlgallon, Williamson, Taylor, Dunn, Gestede

I wouldn't start with Dunn cos he just back from Injury and I like his experience for Leeds away game to start in that game

Archived