BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

47er

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well exactly, he was an International and very good for the level above this at one point. How often at Rovers has he looked like a very good PL keeper? I know he had a tough act to follow there were instances right from the start where he looked amateurish at times compared to Friedel.

This is gonna sound heartless but they're not 2 different things when it comes to just thinking about Rovers. Either way we've paid an employee his full wage for being off work for a year and given him his old job back within weeks of coming back. How many people in real life get that luxury, whether they nearly died or not? Maybe some in the public sector, but you'd be bloody lucky in the private sector.

So yeah I think he owes us. But then I thought Grella, DJ Campbell and one or 2 others owed us. Maybe footballers don't think that way.

Robinson has been paid as per terms of his contract. That is the same in the public, private or professional sport.

I remember when my wife, who abhors football, said when Friedel left, " Thats you relegated", and how often in a similar vein I've felt that Robbo would have preserved more points for us, my daughter for one would be ecstatic if he were to be recalled.

Robinson has been paid as per terms of his contract. That is the same in the public, private or professional sport.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

My point is you wouldn't get a contract with those terms. Full pay regardless of length of absence and no attempt to get rid of you after? Its only the last decade or so in the private sector that women have managed to keep obtain and keep higher level jobs just for being pregnant.

You hear players come to clubs with massive price tags and say they want to repay the fee. You hear players thank clubs for sticking by them during injury/controversy. You hear young players thank clubs for giving them a chance. All I'm saying is I'd hope Robbo would be grateful to a Championship club that can't really afford his PL wages, not trying to flog him at any point during or after his time out. Instead he's gone straight past 2 keepers back into the side.

If all that matters is whats written in their contract then Murphy didn't do a thing wrong here either.

If Robbo had been playing all season we would be in the top six, I'm quite sure of that. Hard to think of any other player who would have had that sort of impact?

Yes, I have to agree with this. Eastwood and Kean have cost us at least 6 points that I can think of with terrible mistakes. Robinson also makes errors occasionally but there's no doubt we would have higher if he had been available all season.

Yes, I have to agree with this. Eastwood and Kean have cost us at least 6 points that I can think of with terrible mistakes. Robinson also makes errors occasionally but there's no doubt we would have higher if he had been available all season.

Using that sort of logic it's feasible that we'd still be in the Prem if Ince hadn't got rid of Friedel.

If's and but's eh?

And the first world war would never have started if a young Serbian nationalist named Gavrilo Princip had not killed killed Archduke Frank Ferdinand. However this is a thread lamenting the loss of Paul Robinson for most of this season which is fair enough considering that his replacements have been woeful and could cost us a place in the playoffs.

And the first world war would never have started if a young Serbian nationalist named Gavrilo Princip had not killed simply gone and shot Archduke Frank Ferdinand in the foot as John Williams and the board did when they failed to back Hughes in nthe transfer market despite most of his signings appreciating many time in vale! However this is a thread lamenting the loss of Paul Robinson for most of this season which is fair enough considering that his replacements have been woeful and could cost us a place in the playoffs.

btw have you read about the freaky/flukey surroundings to that assassination? It's amazing that old Europe was destroyed and history re-written by a chance situation.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

My point is you wouldn't get a contract with those terms. Full pay regardless of length of absence and no attempt to get rid of you after? Its only the last decade or so in the private sector that women have managed to keep obtain and keep higher level jobs just for being pregnant.

You hear players come to clubs with massive price tags and say they want to repay the fee. You hear players thank clubs for sticking by them during injury/controversy. You hear young players thank clubs for giving them a chance. All I'm saying is I'd hope Robbo would be grateful to a Championship club that can't really afford his PL wages, not trying to flog him at any point during or after his time out. Instead he's gone straight past 2 keepers back into the side.

If all that matters is whats written in their contract then Murphy didn't do a thing wrong here either.

Its my pleasure.

All I'm saying it is not his fault that he has been seriously ill and injured. It is a matter of opinon whether Murphy didn't do anything wrong. Was he just a lazy so and so or was was he in fact finished as his legs had gone. That has debated elsewhere.

Which club is going to sign a player who has been seriously ill after a serious back injury so flogging him was never an option. Rovers may have tried claiming on player insurance but after the Martin Dahlin case I suspect they would have been on a loser.

The comparision I'd give is Graham Le Saux who was injured for around 12 months, came back played half a season then buggared off to Chelsea. If that happens then I'd agree with you.

Tbh though Robbo was bloody awful once Allardyce left - prepared to give him a chance though and i think we are a little harsh on Eastwood as we did manage quite a number of our clean sheets with him in goal. Agree with the decision to reinstated Robbo though as Eastwood lost his confidence and the trust of the players in front of him. Thought Kean was excellent last season but is now probably third choice...??

Tbh though Robbo was bloody awful once Allardyce left - prepared to give him a chance though and i think we are a little harsh on Eastwood as we did manage quite a number of our clean sheets with him in goal. Agree with the decision to reinstated Robbo though as Eastwood lost his confidence and the trust of the players in front of him. Thought Kean was excellent last season but is now probably third choice...??

It looked to me that Robbo was one player in particular who suffered under the bald one. I think he genuinely did care about what was going and his form and weight went in the wrong direction. Under Big Sam, Robinson did look like a keeper with a shout of an England cap.

Well exactly, he was an International and very good for the level above this at one point. How often at Rovers has he looked like a very good PL keeper? I know he had a tough act to follow there were instances right from the start where he looked amateurish at times compared to Friedel.

This is gonna sound heartless but they're not 2 different things when it comes to just thinking about Rovers. Either way we've paid an employee his full wage for being off work for a year and given him his old job back within weeks of coming back. How many people in real life get that luxury, whether they nearly died or not? Maybe some in the public sector, but you'd be bloody lucky in the private sector.

So yeah I think he owes us. But then I thought Grella, DJ Campbell and one or 2 others owed us. Maybe footballers don't think that way.

Probably the worst message i have seen on this site, our goalkeeper nearly died and you say he owes us one. You are the worst kind of supporter, no i take that back a supporter would never dream of putting the crap you did, i dont care if you give me pelter's but you are so wrong, he owes us nothing, i am just thankful he is alive.A friend of mine 33yrs old rovers supporter died last week, puts your crap into perspective, and if Paul is called up for England what a coup for him and us as a team.

Not a great comparison that. Le Saux wanted out and was not going to perform till he got his move. Not so with Robinson. If he goes it will be because the Club want his wages off the book imo.

No sorry, I know Le Saux wanted out and thats my point. SKH is going on about Robinson oweing us for the money he has been paid whilst ill, reckoning he has been getting money for nothing and linking him to the likes of murphy. All I was saying was the onlt way to link him to those types and I'd agree with SKH is if Robinson at the end osf the season demands a move like Le Saux.

I agree if he goes it will be if the club wants him off the wage bill.

• Backroom

While I don't think Robbo should go to the World Cup (doubt he will anyway), Alex James in the LET makes a pretty good case for him to!

Though after Corry's injury and Rhodes getting messed around, I'd rather none of our better players get picked. I'm a Rovers fan before International.

While I don't think Robbo should go to the World Cup (doubt he will anyway), Alex James in the LET makes a pretty good case for him to!

Though after Corry's injury and Rhodes getting messed around, I'd rather none of our better players get picked. I'm a Rovers fan before International.

Me too. Every day of the week.

It doesn't seem right that an N.I. international game robbed us of Evans for most of the season.

Archived