BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

This is like Groundhog Day. I was absolutely underwhelmed at the summer signings last year and the links so far have depressed me even more. I sincerely hope they are wrong for Bowyers sake.

What a way to try and boost season ticket sales.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is like Groundhog Day. I was absolutely underwhelmed at the summer signings last year and the links so far have depressed me even more. I sincerely hope they are wrong for Bowyers sake.

Ronaldinho anyone?

Seriously, I am going try and have a bit of faith this time. Yes, I worry re the likes of Feeney, but he has not even signed yet. If it really is Bowyer's intention to sign Feeney, maybe he already knows other utility players are leaving e.g. Taylor, Judge? The reality is Bowyer must have a plan(!) and some pieces of his jigsaw might become apparent earlier than others. At the same time, we know there will be a few links that have no foundation whatsoever, so my intention is not to get sucked into anything before I know the whole picture...Famous last words for a close season!

What about the many superb signings he's made? Cairney, Conway, Gestede, Marshall, Evans. I suppose these don't fit your narrative though so it's best to discount them and focus on the few freebies he signed last summer to bolster the squad.

Can't link it as I've seen it in the paper rather than online, but Westcarr has been dismissed by todays LT

Thank god for that. The knives were already being sharpened for Bowyer.

Just found it, bottom of the Spurr article.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11202354._/

What about the many superb signings he's made? Cairney, Conway, Gestede, Marshall, Evans. I suppose these don't fit your narrative though so it's best to discount them and focus on the few freebies he signed last summer to bolster the squad.

Thank god for that. The knives were already being sharpened for Bowyer.

Just found it, bottom of the Spurr article.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11202354._/

Read what I said first. None of them you mentioned were signed last summer. It was the freebies like Marrow, Judge, Taylor and Songo that he signed pre-season that I was referring to. So it did fit my narritive if you had read it properly.

The silly season is well and truly underway.

Bowyer has already made it clear that he won't know what he is working with until he has been to India which isn't until next week at the earliest. No doubt he has a number of lists of players depending on the outcome of those meetings.

It reminds me a little bit of last season. We got Alan Judge and Alex Marrow signed up on free transfers as soon as the window opened once Bowyer had landed the job. Those signings cost very little/nothing and could have been done without Venkys approval. Then later in the summer in came Evans/Marshall for decent money once Venkys had approved funds.

Given Bowyer's excellent record in the transfer window so far I won't be jumping to any conclusions until new players have had the opportunity to prove themselves one way or the other. Unlike last season assuming we don't lose any of our major players then we don't need major surgery. 4/5 additions should be enough.

People have been in uproar about the Liam Feeney possible signing, whereas all Bowyer has done is said that it is a possibility later in the summer. He is leaving the door open because if he needs to bring someone in quickly and cheaply then Feeney would fit the bill. He isn't going to set the league on fire but he is available on a free, no doubt has the right attitude and would settle in quickly to the squad. If he was top of our list of priorities he would have been signed up by now.

No doubt if we get lucky and get rid of Best/Etuhu or Campbell then that will free up considerable wages to use on worthwhile players. I just hope that Venkys recognise significant progress this season and decide that they are going to sanction some more signings to try and push on up the league even if the deadwood can't be shifted

Read what I said first. None of them you mentioned were signed last summer. It was the freebies like Marrow, Judge, Taylor and Songo that he signed pre-season that I was referring to. So it did fit my narritive if you had read it properly.

Wrong. Evans, Cairney and Marshall all came in the Summer window.

New RB and CB and a 3rd choice striker needed. could do with a keeper, bring in someone like Butland on loan if we could offload

Robinson. If not a solid no2

Trim the squad by getting rid of the like of Best, Campbell and Etuhu. Orr is on loan untill December, so if we could, offload him in Jan. Get rid of Goodwillie.

Think Williamson and Olsson are out of contract this summer too.

Not including Robinson that should free up around £100k a week in wages. A huge saving without doing much, if any, damage to the teams core.

If we could land Keane for another season and get a solid RB we should be a strong team come next season.

Robinson

New RB, Keane, Hanley, Spurr

Evans

Cairney

Marshall Conway

Gestede Rhodes

Subs, New GK, Henley, Kilgallon, King, Lowe, Taylor and new striker

New RB and CB and a 3rd choice striker needed. could do with a keeper, bring in someone like Butland on loan if we could offload

Robinson. If not a solid no2

Trim the squad by getting rid of the like of Best, Campbell and Etuhu. Orr is on loan untill December, so if we could, offload him in Jan. Get rid of Goodwillie.

Think Williamson and Olsson are out of contract this summer too.

Not including Robinson that should free up around £100k a week in wages. A huge saving without doing much, if any, damage to the teams core.

If we could land Keane for another season and get a solid RB we should be a strong team come next season.

Robinson

New RB, Keane, Hanley, Spurr

Evans

Cairney

Marshall Conway

Gestede Rhodes

Subs, New GK, Henley, Kilgallon, King, Lowe, Taylor and new striker

Highlighted bit is great in theory but where on earth are you going to send them? No-one in their right mind would try to match Best or Goodwillie's ridiculous wages, we'll be paying pretty much all of Orr's salary and have to wait till his contract runs out, and who the bloodyhell would take that crock Etuhu? £35,000 per week and played 2 games last season. Tosser.

The other one is Campbell who could in the next few months be at least, a disgraced match fixer, and at worst behind bars. At least then we could sack him for gross misconduct though. Until then no-one will take him.

The @#/?-stained legacy left by Steve Kean and his fork tongued master lives strong in this club.

I'd argue that goal is one of the most important areas we need to look at. Butland on loan for a full season would be great.

And I would argue that with Robbo in goal that is the least of our problems. Maybe a better backup if you must.

As long as nobody in the opposition decides to have a shot from distance Al.

You are over exaggerating Ricky. All keepers slip up once in a while and I have more confidence in Robbo than any other keeper in the championship.

will we sell either Hanley or Rhodes to help cover 8 million pounds loss in Premier League we get? or both to give Bowyer some money to spend this summer?

You tell me Chaddy. I don't read minds but I sincerely hope that we don't sell any of our best players.

No. The shot from distance flaw has been there at least since Allardyce.There is a pattern, I 'm afraid

He's still the best keeper in the Championship warts and all. He has other traits that make up for the odd errors. If it were up to you England would have no keeper because they all make boo boos.

Archived