BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't expect too much early transfer news for fear that it will adversely impact on ST renewals.

I think the financial position is going to make this an extremely difficult window and it would be no surprise to see Rovers looking to engineer a player trading surplus of £7 to £9 million with a reduction in wages of £10 million.

Sadly, I fear that we had to get promotion this season and we now face an uphill struggle reminiscent of the days when Saxton and Mackay were in charge.

Bowyer has already said in the LT that he's under no pressure to sell. I think they'll try and retain the good players and put everything into having a go next season. If it's going to go bust it might as well be a 'hung for a sheep instead of a lamb' scenario. What's another 20 mill of debt if they are going to go that way. Next season really probably is the 'one' with the bust coming around now in 12 months time without promotion. Tick tock.

Bowyer has already said in the LT that he's under no pressure to sell. I think they'll try and retain the good players and put everything into having a go next season. If it's going to go bust it might as well be a 'hung for a sheep instead of a lamb' scenario. What's another 20 mill of debt if they are going to go that way. Next season really probably is the 'one' with the bust coming around now in 12 months time without promotion. Tick tock.

He's hardly likely to come out and say we are going to have to sell key players. That would be disastrous for season tickets and would also send a message to all clubs interested in our players that we were somewhat 'desperate'.

He's hardly likely to come out and say we are going to have to sell key players. That would be disastrous for season tickets and would also send a message to all clubs interested in our players that we were somewhat 'desperate'.

Didn't you know we are owned by billionaires ------ apparently :blink:

• Moderation Lead

Why not? Managers say things like 'I have to sell before I can buy' all the time!

In that case he'd keep quiet about it and if pressed would come out with the old "I've not been told any different" line rather than boldly state it. I know it means nowt where Venkys are involved but in the new times of stability etc I thought it significant he should say that.

Is it wrong to say that a reasonable price for Rhodes and another of Bowyer's shrewd buys would make us stronger?

Like Luke Varney for example :blink: Think it would have to be £15 mill for Rhodes to allow us to afford a half decent replacement as all the brass for him would go to Hudds/agents/debt etc.

Is it wrong to say that a reasonable price for Rhodes and another of Bowyer's shrewd buys would make us stronger?

No - but it would be a gamble. Like some others - I do feel that the deficiencies in some areas of his game has a detrimental effect on the team as a whole. What you can't argue with is his finishing prowess - though I don't think his replacement would necessarily have to score as many as him providing they brought more pace etc.

Given the way we finished the season it would be a shame though - as the partnership with Gestede was finally gelling.

Tommy Spurr just signed a new contract tying him to the club to 2016. Surprising considering he only signed last year, but then again what do I know?

very good news. had a good 1st season. surprise it not longer then an extra year tho.

Feeney linked with Rovers in todays LT.

I think it would be a poor signing. we need a right back, centre back and a striker with pace before another wide player in my opinion.

Bowyer need to know what his budget is for next season. guess this will be discuss when GB goes to India very soon..

We seem very kind on John Egan from Sunderland who on loan at Southend..

Nar, Rhodes has proven over the last 2 seasons that he will find the back of the net more often than not. He went 9-10 (?) games without a goal at one point this season and still hit 25 in total.

With Gestede being an absolute monster in the air and getting 13 goals I think keeping these 2 together should be one thing we definitely try and do over the summer.

Like Luke Varney for example :blink:Think it would have to be £15 mill for Rhodes to allow us to afford a half decent replacement as all the brass for him would go to Hudds/agents/debt etc.

We best keep hold of him then hadn't we! If anyone pays £15m for Jordan Rhodes I would be absolutely gobsmacked.

It's such a weird predicament with Rhodes:

- He's scored a lot of goals in two seasons at the club, is a complete natural inside the box, and will probably score 20 goals next season (assuming no injury and a regular starting place)

- He's absolutely @#/? at football and him playing this season has been hugely detrimental at times. When he doesn't score he's a boy amongst men.

- He's inherently lazy because he's allowed to be.

- We have a better striker at the club NOW - but can he maintain his consistent goalscoring next season?

- If we sell him how much will we get? I'd suggest we'd be dreaming at £10m and should snap a clubs hand off for that.

- If we do sell him then how much goes to Hudds, how much goes to clearing the debt, and how much will be given to Bowyer for a replacement?

- Would a 15 - 20 goal striker with a better all round game and ability improve us? Where do we find one?

Could see maybe a West Brom coming in for him or perhaps even Newcastle, who knows. Fact is if I was a manager and had been watching Rhodes for a few weeks, I'd have been saying: 1. he'll never cut it in the prem 2. Who's that lad playing up front with him 3. How much do Rovers want for him

Skysports saying that Michael Keane would jump at the chance to have another season with us if he's sent out on loan again. I'd be pleased if that happened. Looks like a very useful player at this level.

Interesting that Giggs had him on the bench for the game against Hull City the other night; he didn't come on but he's in the first-team squad on the MUFC website.

Let's not forget about some of our own who've been out on loan; especially Jack O'Connell, who's been getting rave reviews when playing for Rochdale, who've just won promotion to League One. He's 20 now; and, having had the best part of a couple of seasons on loan, next season might be the one for him to come back and be part of the squad, backing up Hanley & Kilgallon.

very good news. had a good 1st season. surprise it not longer then an extra year tho.

Feeney linked with Rovers in todays LT.

I think it would be a poor signing. we need a right back, centre back and a striker with pace before another wide player in my opinion.

Feeney looks below average at this level so why sign him considering we have had forewarning of his talents? If we are serious about going for promotion we don't want to be signing players who we know aren't up to it.

The Feeney one is a strange situation. We have a better player in Judge coming back.

However, reading between the lines, Feeney is cheap, happy to sit on the bench, has pace and can play on both wings. Judge is a better player but similar to both Conway and Marshall (but not as good) and is not happy to be a bench player. From that interview, GB basically sees Feeney as someone who can come off the bench and frighten the opposition with his pace (King is currently our only pacy player).

Judge and Taylor will both probably leave in the summer. Mahoney will make his breakthrough this season so Feeney will be 5th choice. Feeney is not great but not a bad 4 or 5th choice winger to have.

We need to spend our limited budget on defensive reinforcements and not on positions we are already strong in so I can see the logic in signing Feeney.

Yes but we know that Feeney isn't good enough so any money spent on him is a wste in a position where we are strong. If it's purely because he's cheap there must be players all over the lower leagues who are better and cheaper if we could be bothered to scout properly.

I can't see any logic in signing Feeney. Above all else he looks overweight and has offered nothing when he's come off the bench. It would be a ludicrous signing IMO.

As you rightly say, we should be concentrating our limited financial resources on defensive options first and foremost and moving on those that don't figure in GB's plans and are costing the club a fortune.

Once that's been achieved, perhaps have a look at a ball player in midfield and other attacking options but the days of having a bloated first team squad have surely gone.

Archived