BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfers - In & Out

anyone fancy Dale Jennings from Barnsley? He has come back from Bayern Munich and played well on loan at MK Dons. Hes only 23 I think

Good player and somebody we should look at, same goes for some lower players like Hogan, Allen from Rochdale. There are lots of good young players in the two leagues below.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's still the best keeper in the Championship warts and all. He has other traits that make up for the odd errors. If it were up to you England would have no keeper because they all make boo boos.

Er..no. You do state your opinion that he is the best in the Championship, as if it were a matter of scientific fact. And, frankly, I couldn't care two hoots about the England keeper. That said, I thought Robbo was cruelly scapegoated, when Neville's already risky back pass hit a divot..

In my opinion, Robbo has issues about being beaten from outside the box and getting down to shots.

He's still the best keeper in the Championship warts and all. He has other traits that make up for the odd errors. If it were up to you England would have no keeper because they all make boo boos.

I'd want a virtually flawless keeper in The Championship who had a £1 million salary. Unfortunately Robbo flaps at crosses, rarely catches anything and is repeatedly susceptible to low shots, his positioning is suspect as born out by how many times he's beaten at his near post and efforts from outside the box. I would argue that he's made as many mistakes as Kean and Eastwood but not quite as glaring.

He has an aura about him, has excellent reflexes for anything above waist height and his distribution is superb.

That's not enough IMO and he needs to be replaced or accept a salary commensurate with his and the clubs current standing.

The same applies to Rochina, who frustrates, great potential talent, may have something more if the right buttons were pressed but similarly if he's on £23k a week as reported, as needs must, he's got to be moved on also.

I'd want a virtually flawless keeper in The Championship who had a £1 million salary. Unfortunately Robbo flaps at crosses, rarely catches anything and is repeatedly susceptible to low shots, his positioning is suspect as born out by how many times he's beaten at his near post and efforts from outside the box. I would argue that he's made as many mistakes as Kean and Eastwood but not quite as glaring.

He has an aura about him, has excellent reflexes for anything above waist height and his distribution is superb.

That's not enough IMO and he needs to be replaced or accept a salary commensurate with his and the clubs current standing.

The same applies to Rochina, who frustrates, great potential talent, may have something more if the right buttons were pressed but similarly if he's on £23k a week as reported, as needs must, he's got to be moved on also.

If Kean or Eastwood had been responsible for conceding a crucial goal against Burnley they would've been hung, drawn and quartered.

My god, I think this is the first thread where nearly everyone agrees with each other on something. Perhaps we should sign Feeney after all, he's got us all agreeing on the fact he's crap! :huh:

On the goalkeeper situation, I've no problem with Robbo (putting wages aside) but we're one broken finger or dislocated shoulder away from having Eastwood and Kean! This is why we need a keeper.

I do actually think Kean will come good again but think he needs time away from Ewood on loan to regain his form & confidence. IMO we should never have let Sandomierski go, I don't think he was anything outstanding but he was definitely steady. In this league I think that's all you really need your keeper to be to do well. A keeper who doesn't drop crosses and let in soft goals means a confident back four.

I would agree we should have kept him. Who knew that Kean would be so poor though, prior to his injury he looked good but I thought the Polush lad edged him. We need a solid keeper. One who can come for a cross, can gaurd his near post and does not take all day to get to a low shot. Its obvious the word is out about robbo not getting down so well. That said at the mo of our three robbo is top dog.

Doubt it

will we sell either Hanley or Rhodes to help cover 8 million pounds loss we get from the PL? or both to give Bowyer some money to spend this summer?

Really no point in making a little bit now if it harms our promotion chances - The Rovers business model doesn't work without Premiership money - we might as well have a good go next season.

That said - Hanley has worried me in quite a few games this season - lacks technique and temperament at times. Depending on how ready Songo, O'Connell and the other lad are, and whether we get Keane back for next season, I would be tempted at £8 million for Hanley.

Things could always be worse. Leicester are looking at Radoslav Petrovic according to the Mail. They obviously don't much fancy the premier league!

Great stuff.

Get in the Serbian plumber and we'll take Danny Drinkwater off them. It works for me.

In my opinion, Robbo has issues about being beaten from outside the box and getting down to shots.

Do you think it might be psychological - impact with the ground=bloodclot on lung?

I only say because since I had a heart attack whilst playing football I have never been able to bring myself to break out into a trot

Before we buy I think that we have to try and shift some of the players come back from their loan spells by this I mean the likes of DJ, Best, Marrow, Morris, Goodwillie, Slew, O'Connor and Judge. Send back of Varney, Kane, Dabo, Feeney and try to get rid of Etuhu as well if we can't sell him then I would pay him up like we did with Nuno and Murphy. I'd also sell Taylor re sign Aaron Doran, who I believe we can get back cheap through a clause in the deal when we sold him and he would be an upgrade on Taylor who works hard but lacks real quality. I'd also send Henley and Kean out on loan to try and get some confidence back. And the final problem is Dunny he's been a great player for the club and still is when he plays but for the money he will want he doesn't play enough, personally I'd give him a pay as you play deal combined with a coaching role.

If we could get Keane back on loan then I would loan O'Connell back out to Rochdale to let him get League 1 experience and then we would also have Songo'o as 4th choice who seems to have done well at Ross. And although Keane and Lowe can play at right back neither of them are naturals their and although they could cover there I think we need a natural right back and Brayford at Cardiff would be a great signing. We do need a back up for Tommy Spurr and I thought Olsson did well at the end of the season and as he is cheap I'd give him an extra year on his contract. Also I'd let Lenihan, Rittenberg, O'Sullivan and Mahoney go out on loan to football league clubs to give them some valuable experience.

Up front we have Rhodes and Gestede but a worrying lack of alternatives to them. If Rochina was willing to start the season on the bench and try to work his way in the team then I'd keep him and over 46 games he would get a chance, he would also add some creativity in the number 10 role if we play 4-4-1-1. And as I personally favour having 4 strikers as over a season as strikers will get injuries, suspensions, barren spells and you also will need someone to bring on for a goal during a game. I think that Chris O'Grady at Barnsley would be a good signing who we could probably get for a reasonable fee with Barnsley going down and I doubt that his wages would be that high their either. Another alternative would be Macheda who is a free agent in the summer and again his wages wouldn't be that high. Also if Cairney or Evans got injured I think that we would need another central midfielder but we could use the loan market for that.

That would leave us with the following squad:

Goalkeepers: Robinson, Eastwood, Raya
Right Back: Brayford, M.Keane (Also centre back)
Centre Backs: Hanley, Kilgallon, Songo'o
Left Backs: Spurr, Olsson
Wingers: Conway, Marshall, King, Doran
Midfield: Cairney, Evans, Lowe, Williamson, Dunn (On pay as you play)
Strikers: Rhodes, Gestede, Rochina, O'Grady or Macheda

Do you think it might be psychological - impact with the ground=bloodclot on lung?

I only say because since I had a heart attack whilst playing football I have never been able to bring myself to break out into a trot

Blimey. I wouldn't blame him, if that were the case. A bit like Mat Jansen's personal confidence thing after his accident, I guess.

I am sure the shots from distance thing was an issue before his illness. Getting down to low shots I think may be more recent,I certainly don't remember talking about it previously, unlike the issue with long shots.

In reality I doubt if it is a psychological/confidence thing, as he must be throwing himself around all over the place in training?

I think people are being overly critical of the low shots imo. It's no easy feat going from 6 ft to ground zero with only a split second to react, especially for someone getting on a bit in pro terms.

But for the money he is on, we could certainly get better, and we should be able to get a few grand for him too. Hence my suggestion of butland on loan, Jason Steele could also do a job for us if the price is right.

End of the season showed we need to sort the defence out, I don't think any of out younger players are ready to hold down a starting position just yet. And Hanley, despite his flaws is a pretty good no bull defender. His big flaws are with ball at feet.

Wheelock's opinion on Bowyer's business from today's LT:

(18 players this season)

Hit (8)

Matt Kilgallon

Tom Cairney

Tommy Spurr

Corry Evans

Ben Marshall

Rudy Gestede

Craig Conway

Michael Keane (loan)

Miss (5)

Todd Kane (loan)

DJ Campbell

Alex Marrow

Yann Songo'o

Bryan Dabo (loan)

Maybe (5)

Chris Taylor

Alan Judge

Simon Eastwood

Luke Varney (loan)

Liam Feeney (loan)

I would swap Feeney and Kane (still young) over and I'm not sure how Songo'o and Dabo can be written off without playing. Apart from that probably fair.

About 45% success rate with signings - no genius but equally no mug.

Not usre how Songo'o can be considered a miss. When he was bought it was openly mentioned that he was for development. He's done well on loan at Ross County, surely he should be given a crack at the first team before we start writing him off?

Archived