BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Another classic from the Rovers web site. The official statement says that todays U21s game is at the Rovers academy,  the same site, on the fixtures page it says the game is at Bamber Bridge. As the match is Blackpools home game, it may be at Bamber bridge ? 

It got moved due to pitch concerns at Bamber Bridge 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Banter from Rovers having our keeper take our first penalty in the shootout, and score.

Nsangou with the goal for us, later his spot kick hit the post in the shootout 

• Like 1

Rovers went through on penalties after what was a pretty turgid 90 minutes from both teams but I felt that Blackpool were marginally the better of the two. Rovers continually gave the ball away or were caught in possession although in fairness we had at least six under 18's. Winning was the important thing though and as such progressing into the next round was the priority.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Another classic from the Rovers web site. The official statement says that todays U21s game is at the Rovers academy,  the same site, on the fixtures page it says the game is at Bamber Bridge. As the match is Blackpools home game, it may be at Bamber bridge ? 

The website is all over the show. The games on the fixtures are on the wrong days, the team where playing club badge is Chelsea when we’re playing nice. It’s like a child is doing it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The website is all over the show. The games on the fixtures are on the wrong days, the team where playing club badge is Chelsea when we’re playing nice. It’s like a child is doing it

And not a very clever child at that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rigger said:

I can understand the venue being moved. The point I was making, is that the website had conflicting information. Anyway we are through on penalties.

It was posted on twitter earlier in the day that the game was being moved for concerns over the state of Bamber Bridge pitch

Edited by chaddyrovers

One-time promising midfielder, Isaac Whitehall, is in what I think is his second or third year injured. Credit to the club for backing him but has anyone heard of a young player with such a long lay off?

And do Rovers have a more than usual problem with long-term injuries at the moment? Alex Baker and Lenni Cirino have been nowhere to be seen for a year, out, presumably, with injuries.

Edited by riverholmes

24 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

One-time promising midfielder, Isaac Whitehall, is in what I think is his second or third year injured. Credit to the club for backing him but has anyone heard of a young player with such a long lay off?

And do Rovers have a more than usual problem with long-term injuries at the moment? Alex Baker and Lenni Cirino have been nowhere to be seen for a year, out, presumably, with injuries.

It’s not looking good for them is it. It’s hard to get over such long term injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Baker played an U21 pre season game, I think he did his ACL again within minutes of kick off

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23646871.blackburn-rovers-youngster-suffers-devastating-injury-blow-friendly/

Cirino, along with Saadi seems to have been told he can find a new club, Walker & Gent (now both out on loan) and Haddow (who seems to have forced his way back into the U21 fold) were also name checked in that article

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-transfer-loan-offers-27441269

Edit - Whitehall hasn't played since 2021 had his contract extended in the summer for what I am pretty sure is just to help his rehab and help him move on in his life/career

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/isaac-whitehall/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/541554/plus/0?saison=2020&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Pratt (undisclosed injury) and Fyles (ACL injury suffered in early 2023) are also long term injured and Biniek has also been out for the past month

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/october/11/preview--rovers-under-21s-v-ogc-nice-under-21s/

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

I think JRC spent pretty much two seasons out during his youth development, that's before his first team injury issues.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I think JRC spent pretty much two seasons out during his youth development, that's before his first team injury issues.

Looks like JRC was out for around a year (near enough the entirety of 2018) when he was about 18 years old. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-rankin-costello/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/411229/plus/0?saison=2017&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

I would think that is a huge difference between that and Whitehall missing over 2 years (so far) when he will turn 22 in just a few months time.  A real shame as he had huge promise

In a game which ebbed and flowed I thought a draw would have been a fair result but I'll certainly take the win. We started brightly, scored and should have scored a couple before Nice rallied and had a period when they were on top and Michalski in goal made some smart saves. The second half continued in much the same vein and their late equaliser seemed to knock the stuffing out of us. At that stage I could only see one winner with Nice buoyant but Rovers nicked it with a deflected goal to seal the win. At times we played some really good stuff but at other times we were guilty of over playing and turning over cheap possession.

Well done to the youngsters.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that the Nice players and officials were brought to Ewood and back to their hotel/airport on OUR coach. The bloody cheek of it. I hope Swag is deducting the cost from their expenses.

Oh wait a minute...

4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Didn't watch the game but no doubt see the goals later. Believe the goalkeeper was excellent (apart from an error that led to their goal). At only 16 I know Rovers have really high hopes for him. The 2 centre backs also were really good apparently.

That error really is one of the stupidest I've seen a keeper make though. There's a really easy pass on, he looks like he's going to play it, then plays it straight to a Nice player instead. Only 16 so I'll let him off.

5 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Didn't watch the game but no doubt see the goals later. Believe the goalkeeper was excellent (apart from an error that led to their goal). At only 16 I know Rovers have really high hopes for him. The 2 centre backs also were really good apparently.

It’s a centre back factory down at Ewood. Any chance of turned one of them into a centre forward ? 

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s a centre back factory down at Ewood. Any chance of turned one of them into a centre forward ? 

Pratt would probably be the best bet, as I see little future for him in defence, with the type of football the Rovers want our center halves to play.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That error really is one of the stupidest I've seen a keeper make though. There's a really easy pass on, he looks like he's going to play it, then plays it straight to a Nice player instead. Only 16 so I'll let him off.

Yeah, got overconfident and played a high-risk pass that was easily gobbled up and put into an open net. However it's something that easy to fix and he'll learn from.

Otherwise I thought he was terrific. Very good with the feet, safe handling, came and claimed crosses and generally looked the part. Very rare to see a keeper at that age playing U21 and apart from the big mistake, probably our best player of the night.

Some prospect at 16 based on that evidence.

• Like 2