BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

An entertaining game tonight with plenty of good football on show from both sides.  Chrisene looked very good at left-back and must surely get a game in that position on Monday.  It will be interesting to see the line-up for Sunday's Under-21 as that will surely reveal who's playing against Wrexham.

Dolan looked very lively on his comeback and can't be far off returning to the senior team.  I thought Atcheson looked the part at centre-back - big lad, who can play a bit and improving all the time.  Likewise Duru again impressed at right-back.  He's good defensively but gets forward with some purpose and is quick.

Gilsenan showed how impressive he can be breaking from midfield.  His second goal was a quality run and finish.  

I must say that I was again disappointed with Ayari.  Decent finish for his goal but didn't do anything to suggest that he is anywhere near ready for the first team.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

An entertaining game tonight with plenty of good football on show from both sides.  Chrisene looked very good at left-back and must surely get a game in that position on Monday.  It will be interesting to see the line-up for Sunday's Under-21 as that will surely reveal who's playing against Wrexham.

Dolan looked very lively on his comeback and can't be far off returning to the senior team.  I thought Atcheson looked the part at centre-back - big lad, who can play a bit and improving all the time.  Likewise Duru again impressed at right-back.  He's good defensively but gets forward with some purpose and is quick.

Gilsenan showed how impressive he can be breaking from midfield.  His second goal was a quality run and finish.  

I must say that I was again disappointed with Ayari.  Decent finish for his goal but didn't do anything to suggest that he is anywhere near ready for the first team.

Interesting to read your comments on Ayari, he from day 1 has seemed like a peculiar signing. Replacing our captain and a player with a decent amount of experience in seasons near the top with a lightweight number 10 who had struggled to get into a Championship side. And in both league games since in which we have needed a spark, he has remained unused.

Where abouts did he play, deeper or further forward? Reviews on here are mixed yet more positive on twitter.

Obviously it wasnt a senior competitive game but good to see Chrisene seemingly do well, I thought he struggled on his debut. Dolan we need back which perhaps shows how light we are, although not sure where he will fit in. He indicated this week that he prefers a central role but I think we need him out wide.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

I pretty much echo Parsonblue's comments. Alongside Atcheson at centre half was Charlie Olson who I thought had a really good game and was made captain. Dolans energy was excellent considering the length of time he has been out - he should start on Monday in my opinion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I pretty much echo Parsonblue's comments. Alongside Atcheson at centre half was Charlie Olson who I thought had a really good game and was made captain. Dolans energy was excellent considering the length of time he has been out - he should start on Monday in my opinion.

Chrisene, JRC, Dolan and Gallagher should all start on Monday, and possibly Sigurdsson and Ayari too. O'Riordan is probably cup tied though.

On Ayari, as I said on the transfer thread a while back... I'm convinced that it's simply one that Brighton wanted to get out on loan that's costing us nothing. I think they just dressed it up in the media to seem more than that but I think that's the reality. Would probably say the same for Chrisene. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

On Ayari, as I said on the transfer thread a while back... I'm convinced that it's simply one that Brighton wanted to get out on loan that's costing us nothing. I think they just dressed it up in the media to seem more than that but I think that's the reality. Would probably say the same for Chrisene. 

Everything is about cutting costs now. We sign/usually borrow what we can get not what we need.

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Chrisene was definetely just meant for backup on the left but surprisingly was thrown to the wolves to get his fitness levels up. Fortunately for him, Pickering went off injured so it's looking like he'll get some more gametime. Not too dissimilar to A. Bell from what I've seen so far, a bit more physical and aggressive defensively perhaps - which is good.

Ayari will be cheap, no doubt, but think he'll play more here than he did for Coventry, so maybe they're looking at another season long loan for next season if he does well. Think we can benefit from maintaining a good relationshipship with them as they bring in a lot of really good prospects.

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Chrisene, JRC, Dolan and Gallagher should all start on Monday, and possibly Sigurdsson and Ayari too. O'Riordan is probably cup tied though.

I agree with the first four games but Sigurdsson and Ayari simply haven't done enough recently to warrant a place in my opinion. I thought Atcheson had his best game that I have seen him have and the watching Tomasson can't fail to have been impressed. We only have two first team centre halves available for Monday so Atcheson would be my first back up player to those two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Chrisene was definetely just meant for backup on the left but surprisingly was thrown to the wolves to get his fitness levels up. Fortunately for him, Pickering went off injured so it's looking like he'll get some more gametime. Not too dissimilar to A. Bell from what I've seen so far, a bit more physical and aggressive defensively perhaps - which is good.

Ayari will be cheap, no doubt, but think he'll play more here than he did for Coventry, so maybe they're looking at another season long loan for next season if he does well. Think we can benefit from maintaining a good relationshipship with them as they bring in a lot of really good prospects.

The problem with taking Ayari on is he's now blocking a pathway for the likes of Gilsenan who according to those at the game looks more deserving of being involved in the first team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree with the first four games but Sigurdsson and Ayari simply haven't done enough recently to warrant a place in my opinion. I thought Atcheson had his best game that I have seen him have and the watching Tomasson can't fail to have been impressed. We only have two first team centre halves available for Monday so Atcheson would be my first back up player to those two.

Was Sigurdsson also poor last night?

You often find that first teamers dont seem to stand out when they drop down with their sole purpose just to get minutes into their legs. Sigurdsson does offer a goal threat that otherwise we dont really have beside Szmodics.

Edited by roversfan99

Just now, Neal said:

The problem with taking Ayari on is he's now blocking a pathway for the likes of Gilsenan who according to those at the game looks more deserving of being involved in the first team. 

Gilsenan might benefit from a loan spell. Even if he stays and we dont bring in another player in that area, hes going to be on the fringes with Sigurdsson, Dolan, Moran and Hedges ahead of him.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You often find that first teamers dont seem to stand out when they drop down with their sole purpose just to get minutes into their legs. Sigurdsson does offer a goal threat that otherwise we dont really have beside Szmodics.

I wouldn't have described his performance as poor but he lacks a lot of awareness particularly defensively. We have better options I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Something about Siggy makes me think that he'd be perfectly suited to Sammie's role. I can see him in that position if he goes in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's more about fitness than about who warrants a place. We can't afford any more injuries in this one so I would rest a few if I was JDT.

11 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

It's more about fitness than about who warrants a place. We can't afford any more injuries in this one so I would rest a few if I was JDT.

Sorry I can't agree. This represents a chance of progressing in the FA Cup and gives us all something to get behind and if we get through another chance to make some money. I will be hugely surprised and disappointed of Tomasson doesn't go with his strongest available team.

• Like 6

Gilsenan reminds me of Harry Chapman. A lot of hype from the fans and at a young age. There looks to be something there when on the pitch but for whatever reason, chances have been minimal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at the same level and not fulfilling the potential. Lets hope not.

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Sorry I can't agree. This represents a chance of progressing in the FA Cup and gives us all something to get behind and if we get through another chance to make some money. I will be hugely surprised and disappointed of Tomasson doesn't go with his strongest available team.

It’s against a League Two side. A £5m signing with one Swedish cap and a regular Iceland international should be up for it I think. 

19 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

It’s against a League Two side. A £5m signing with one Swedish cap and a regular Iceland international should be up for it I think. 

Of course they should be up for it, any player should. It's just that they wouldn't figure in my starting eleven as I believe we have better. I'm certain that Tomasson won't be taking Wrexham lightly irrespective of what league they are in.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Of course they should be up for it, any player should. It's just that they wouldn't figure in my starting eleven as I believe we have better. I'm certain that Tomasson won't be taking Wrexham lightly irrespective of what league they are in.

You should only take an opponent lightly, once you have put the game to bed. Which normally is after the final whistle.