BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way Leicester will not win the league is if they start thinking about it too much and do a 'Devon Loch' as Fergie tried (and almost succeeded) talking us into doing.

Quite right, ojf1. Finally, the media and pundits etc are more or less of the opinion that Leicester will win it. The pressure is now on. It's a psychological thing a la Fergie and ourselves in 1995. I really hope that Leicester end up as Champions. They play a refreshing brand of direct, counter attacking football, when required. Rather that, more akin to old fashioned English football, than the pretty, keep the ball at all costs, boring, chess-like, sleep inducing 'football' that the overpaid primadonnas of Man City et al play.

A very respectable 10,000 apparently. I'm no supporter of high ticket prices, we largely quit PL away games for this reason, and feel Rovers ST price is about where prices should be for PL games.

Below is an interesting article. I did note, though I'm still not supporting it, the £77 tickets are for 6 matches, 200 seats per match. I suspect those who pay this are looking for networking opportunities at least as much, if not more, as watching football.

http://www.football365.com/news/enough-is-enough-youre-damn-right

I think it's more "where does it stop?".

Accept 6 games now and that will become the norm in the future. It's as though fans are being socially engineered towards accepting that, because of the millions now in football, higher prices should go with it. The trouble is that the wage of the working man isn't going up by the same percentage - and even if it was it'd still not be commensurate. As a result household decisions will have to be taken: do without something else; do without football; or find some way of increasing your income further.

As you have rightly implied, the TV money hike is an opportunity for clubs to reward fans with much lower ticket prices. However, as long as there is sufficient demand at the higher prices then clubs will exploit it. There is certainly an element amongst Liverpool fans - certainly some that I know - who believe that "true reds" will find the money. Clubs are counting on that. It's really going to take a united front from Liverpool fans to stay strong on this.

In my view, they should boycott all tickets over a certain value. Once the club has sold out of seats below that value, that's your lot, and you'll have the ignominy of empty seats on MOTD or Sky. If they want to take the moral high ground even further, those who miss out on the lower prices tickets could donate that exact value that they would have paid to a high profile Liverpool charity - maybe even one affiliated to the club. Now that would grab headlines.

Well this branding thing was lost on me. Why would someone like Phil Jones brand himself? not only does it smack of serious gobsh!t@ry but also who would actually care but then I remembered; image rights are useful for tax loopholes. All of a sudden it all becomes clear.

• Moderation Lead

Re Liverpool- their fans need to be careful. They've a huge fanbase (like them or loathe them), and they will always shift their tickets to day trippers or other fans. It's an even worse situation for the fans who can't afford it being further marginalised.

My mate - an Arsenal fan - is totally convinced Leicester are doping their players. Basically he said "when something so unbelievably unusual happens there is almost always a rational explanation".

Obviously he is being a miserly bitter bloke because Leicester are making a mockery of the millions his team have spent, and Wengers credentials as a top boss, however part of me can see his point....

I mean to go from 20th to first in a single year when for the last fifteen years only six clubs have made the Champions League, and only one of those (Everton) has managed it without vast financial outlay. And even they had many years of finishing just outside the top four. It is totaly fantasy.

Edit - i dont endorse his view and 110% want Leicester to win the league - i have wanted a smaller club to win for years. But thought his opinion merited discussion.

It started last season though when they won 7 out of their last 10 to avoid relegation. Somehow they just carried that form into this season.

They've been very fortunate that Mahrez and Vardy have been available the whole time. If anything happens to either they are in trouble.

My mate - an Arsenal fan - is totally convinced Leicester are doping their players. Basically he said "when something so unbelievably unusual happens there is almost always a rational explanation".

Obviously he is being a miserly bitter bloke because Leicester are making a mockery of the millions his team have spent, and Wengers credentials as a top boss, however part of me can see his point....

I mean to go from 20th to first in a single year when for the last fifteen years only six clubs have made the Champions League, and only one of those (Everton) has managed it without vast financial outlay. And even they had many years of finishing just outside the top four. It is totaly fantasy.

Edit - i dont endorse his view and 110% want Leicester to win the league - i have wanted a smaller club to win for years. But thought his opinion merited discussion.

Well that's nonsensical but here's some remarks Wenger made about drug testing back in November. Nothing to do with Leicester obviously just his general viewpoint.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2015/11/19/17503542/wenger-footballs-current-drug-tests-are-superficial

It hasn't exactly reflected well on Sunderland either. I haven't followed the story close enough but Sunderland fans appear to have been completely supportive of Johnson. Presumably they certainly didn't expect him to plead guilty though it could be part of a plea bargain. You have to ask questions of Sunderland's owner and Allardyce did they know his intentions? If they knew he was going to plead guilty (plea bargain or not) then why wasn't he suspended? I believe he was initially but obviously its been several months since the charges were made.

I don't believe Sunderland have even put out a statement yet.

It hasn't exactly reflected well on Sunderland either. I haven't followed the story close enough but Sunderland fans appear to have been completely supportive of Johnson. Presumably they certainly didn't expect him to plead guilty though it could be part of a plea bargain. You have to ask questions of Sunderland's owner and Allardyce did they know his intentions? If they knew he was going to plead guilty (plea bargain or not) then why wasn't he suspended? I believe he was initially but obviously its been several months since the charges were made.

I don't believe Sunderland have even put out a statement yet.

Are you still under the impression that there is morality in modern football

For some reason ManUre are breaking news on Sky Sports news, because they have announced £18m profit. I know WGAF.

But it also says that revenue is up to £133m.

Now Im not an accountant, but if they've spent £250m last summer how can they spend more than their revenue and still look healthy on the balance books. Would appreciate any of our number crunchers making sense of that.

Sky (obviously) fail to report that they also have circa £600m of debt on their books.

Edit: Just reported that its quarterly results, so that obviously changes things. Oh well, lets just have a general b!tch about the Devils Of Manchester.

For some reason ManUre are breaking news on Sky Sports news, because they have announced £18m profit. I know WGAF.

But it also says that revenue is up to £133m.

Now Im not an accountant, but if they've spent £250m last summer how can they spend more than their revenue and still look healthy on the balance books. Would appreciate any of our number crunchers making sense of that.

Sky (obviously) fail to report that they also have circa £600m of debt on their books.

Edit: Just reported that its quarterly results, so that obviously changes things. Oh well, lets just have a general b!tch about the Devils Of Manchester.

Maybe they classify transfer fees as balance sheet items.

Adam Johnson has now been fired by Sunderland. Seems more a response to PR pressure really considering what Allardyce said earlier today. You have to ask major questions of Sunderland's owner, board, manager, etc. If they really felt Johnson was going to plead not guilty they should have made him sign something for damages. I guess they will still sue him anyway.

Of course there is still a question of whether he pleaded guilty due to legal advice. That however is an indication the evidence was stacked again him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35546894

Archived