BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me a half-volley is when you catch the ball on the UP from a bounce not when it's bounced and dropping or at the top of the bounce.

I think you're right because I've always considered it a half-volley if you catch the ball on the way UP after the bounce not when it's dropping. Hitting a rising ball is much more difficult than a dropping one that's had the speed taken out of it after a bounce.

That's my thinking. Like a drop out in Rugby.

I like K-Hods approach of applying the heads and vods rules.

Volley = anything before the ball has bounced for the first time following someone else's touch

Half-volley = hitting it at the same time as first bounce

Score with anything else and you're going in nets as a forfeit - Jamie Vardy would be in nets for that effort last night, therefore no volley!

It's so much easier to hit a ball after it has bounced at least one, most of the spin and pace comes off in that first bounce.

Just checked it out Amo, I fully agree.

Stunner

I'll stick with van Basten's. Almeyda's was a cracker but not quite as good for me.

What I liked about Vardy's goal was how relaxed he looked. He knew a good while before he hit it what he was going to do and it was never in doubt. Liverpool were all over Leicester at the time too. It certainly wasn't a volley.

For me, this volley by Di Canio is the best goal I have seen in more than 50 years watching football.

Technically so difficult (you try scissor-kicking a 60-yard crossfield ball on the volley past the keeper from a tight angle) but Di Canio makes it look easy. Fantastic.

Archived