BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

If you go onto the championship predictor and put in the results you think for the rest of of the season, you really struggle to get rovers relegated. Even if we don't pick up another point.

I think we’ll get enough points ourselves but it’s more likely other teams won’t get enough to catch us. However, it is possible to lose the last five games as we saw with Hull.

Even if we don’t lose them all, unless we improve our form we could set up an interesting final day:

Draw 2 Lose 2 in next 4 (while everyone else draws)

035F334E-5332-486E-A9BD-6D8F0A61C5E7.thumb.jpeg.64af70a66ac6d90d11e207a727826f9d.jpeg

Draw 1 Lose 3 in next 4 (while everyone else draws)

AAE7F08E-908C-450A-9E28-716E1CB475A8.thumb.jpeg.936e0a4a2080a079259586aa7f65270e.jpeg

Key games:

Rotherham v Coventry

Rotherham* v Birmingham

Preston v Derby

Coventry v Preston & Derby v Birmingham

Rotherham* v Rovers

* if they can avoid defeat to Coventry, Rotherham need to win both to have a chance of catching us.

If the worst happens and it gets as that far:

W46 Rovers v Birmingham & Coventry v Derby

In all honesty I think Rotherham may run out of steam. Although they play more teams with nothing to play for than us, they have four games between yesterday and next Sunday, including Tues against QPR and their crunch game against Coventry two days later.

If Rotherham do capitulate (but scrape a point against us) then Derby and Coventry playing each other would keep us up on goal difference. But that requires us getting three draws out of four.

We have five cup finals in front of us, win one and I think we are safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought I heard on the radio that all next Saturdays Championship games have been cancelled. Help or hindrance ? Hindrance for me.

I think they are still to be played at the weekend, just not at 3pm KO on Saturday.

An interesting statistic that is factual that needs to be born in mind, is the goals for and against columns in conjunction with game management:

Swansea: Goals for - 48, against - 31.

Barnsley: Goals for - 54, against - 44.

Rovers: Goals for - 52, against - 47.

What have we been crying out for for years? ("defenders are coming.")

Where are we in the league compared to the other 2 and why?

It's bloody pathetic and rank bad management all round!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

An interesting statistic that is factual that needs to be born in mind, is the goals for and against columns in conjunction with game management:

Swansea: Goals for - 48, against - 31.

Barnsley: Goals for - 54, against - 44.

Rovers: Goals for - 52, against - 47.

What have we been crying out for for years? ("defenders are coming.")

Where are we in the league compared to the other 2 and why?

It's bloody pathetic and rank bad management all round!!

For me what we have been missing, rather than just new defenders, is a plan for those defenders. You can have the best defenders in the world. If the entire team is not playing to a defined, workable plan. You will get nowhere.  

• Like 5

I expect we will survive this season after results yesterday. I am furious that there is even mention of us and relegation here in mid April with this squad. 

There simply has to be a coaching overhaul given the performance and results of the squad over the course of the season. We might yet hit 20 games with 1 win and earn a club record, which at this level with this squad is an absolute travesty.

I expect Mowbray will eke out a couple of wins from remaining fixtures. Dire Derby present a good opportunity, as will already relegated Rotherham or already safe Birmingham by the time we play them.

It would be amateurish in the extreme to allow victories in those sort of fixtures to influence Mowbray's future.

Regardless of whether he is here in the summer or not I am expecting a relegation struggle next season. I may be accused of being negative but I look at the number of players out of contract/loan, the lack of forward planning, the form we have had these last 6 months, the lack of goals, ease with which we concede and lose and there needs to be a big change.

Mowbray reckons we need to continue his 'style' of play. I disagree. It hasn't delivered the consistency or results we need, so this summer is an ideal time to take a different path, become harder to beat, more pragmatic and solid. 

Unfortunately even if they sack Mowbray it is likely to be another round of confusion and chaos whilst they wait for the favourite agents to dig up a few options on the cheap, then limited resources whilst the new man tries to build 'trust' with India. By this time the summer window has gone. No manager will be able to succeed in such conditions. Maybe if the squad was already assembled and the 'coach' was picking up and not really dealing with recruitment but I doubt that will be happening.

• Like 2

On 10/04/2021 at 23:26, roverandout said:

You think rovers will win the next 4 games out of 5?

Given how poor the opposition are it is entirely possible yes. We may even end up top or near top of the last 5 games form league which I am sure Mowbray would be using to dupe the idiotic ones in his Pune Powerpoint to show them just how magnificent the season has been.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think we’ll get enough points ourselves but it’s more likely other teams won’t get enough to catch us. However, it is possible to lose the last five games as we saw with Hull.

Even if we don’t lose them all, unless we improve our form we could set up an interesting final day:

Draw 2 Lose 2 in next 4 (while everyone else draws)

035F334E-5332-486E-A9BD-6D8F0A61C5E7.thumb.jpeg.64af70a66ac6d90d11e207a727826f9d.jpeg

Draw 1 Lose 3 in next 4 (while everyone else draws)

AAE7F08E-908C-450A-9E28-716E1CB475A8.thumb.jpeg.936e0a4a2080a079259586aa7f65270e.jpeg

What you have forgotten there is Sheffield Wednesdays 6 points deduction, which even given both those scenarios would see them already relegated and Rovers safe going into the final game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Banzai said:

What you have forgotten there is Sheffield Wednesdays 6 points deduction, which even given both those scenarios would see them already relegated and Rovers safe going into the final game.

Their points deduction has already been applied.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not on the predictor tables in your post it hasn't Stuart.

Good spot. I didn’t even question it in those predictors. Just shows you can’t trust anyone!

Looks like Rotherham playing Coventry may  have secured our safety (assuming we don’t lose every game).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Good spot. I didn’t even question it in those predictors. Just shows you can’t trust anyone!

Looks like Rotherham playing Coventry may  have secured our safety (assuming we don’t lose every game).

I wouldn't have spotted it either if the other poster Banzai hadn't flagged it up to be honest mate.

Yeah it does look like it would take an exceptional sequence of results to relegate us now but stranger things have happened..... 

....I'm hoping that freak outcome for this season is being saved for the premier league and the Dingles.

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I wouldn't have spotted it either if the other poster Banzai hadn't flagged it up to be honest mate.

Yeah it does look like it would take an exceptional sequence of results to relegate us now but stranger things have happened..... 

....I'm hoping that freak outcome for this season is being saved for the premier league and the Dingles.

As funny as it would be, do you really want to face them again next season given how we’re likely to look? I definitely don’t!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CheshireRover said:

As funny as it would be, do you really want to face them again next season given how we’re likely to look? I definitely don’t!

I would take that in a heartbeat mate, simply because it means they had a shit summer. FWIW I think Dyche will move on this summer and I wouldn’t totally rule out Celtic as his destination.

57 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

On Sheff Wed, they play tonight, their game in hand on us. If they win that and win at the weekend (and we lose) they'll only be 6 points behind us....and then they play us a week today.

3 points ahead of them with 3 to play would be squeaky bum time. 

It would although there are quite a few ifs and buts there and another one is Rotherham need to start winning and yet another one is there are still another 3 or 4 other teams down there as well. Though it is rather difficult to maintain a 'glass half full' perspective at the moment....

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

It would although there are quite a few ifs and buts there and another one is Rotherham need to start winning and yet another one is there are still another 3 or 4 other teams down there as well. Though it is rather difficult to maintain a 'glass half full' perspective at the moment....

Rotherham don't need to start winning if the my SWFC scenario plays out. It would be us, Rotherham and Wycombe for the drop. 

Every other team below us besides Rotherham/Wycombe could easily catch us. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Rotherham don't need to start winning if the my SWFC scenario plays out. It would be us, Rotherham and Wycombe for the drop. 

Yeah I see what you mean, although that would require Sheff Wed to win at least 5 of their remaining 6 games and other results to go wrong and Rovers to lose 5 out of 6 (or something along those lines). You'd probably get incredible odds at the bookies for that scenario.

Scary to see our remaining games are all against teams below us, who will be pumped up to face us, knowing a win against us will drag another team into the mix.

How did we even get to this situation?! I hope 4 points should be enough for us but if even Wycombe beat us, I just don't know where the points are coming from.

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah I see what you mean, although that would require Sheff Wed to win at least 5 of their remaining 6 games and other results to go wrong and Rovers to lose 5 out of 6 (or something along those lines). You'd probably get incredible odds at the bookies for that scenario.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely, and it only became a thing in my head when I realised they had a game in hand AND we played them next week. 

• Like 1