BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

5 hours ago, davulsukur said:

My concern is that we only have 2/3 wins more than Rotherham and Sheff wed, Rotherham have a game in hand on us as well. So they are both winning as many games as us, but now we've stopped winning all together. They will still pick up wins  whilst we probably won't.

I can't see where our next win is coming from under Mowbray, this death spiral isnt ending and is probably the worst one I can remember.

Its a very real possibility that we won't win a game in march.

We still have Rotherham to play iirc, not sure about Sheff W. They only need a couple of wins each whilst we stagger through March pointless and we are in a world of trouble. They play each other this week so that's potentially 3 points for one of them.

I think we'll be OK though. Probably a low points total this, season for the relegated clubs. It won't be the 53(?) we got when we went down. 

We have to play both Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday away. Defeats in those games could be fatal, wins could keep us up.

The next month is going to be a fascinating watch. We have a set of fixtures that are tough by any measure, our record this season shows we struggle to get results against the better sides and rely on individual quality to dispatch the poorer sides.

I don't think it is unlikely that we go through March without winning. By the time April arrives we could be looking at 0 wins in 12 games and if we were to even go as far as to lose them all it would be 11 defeats in 12 games.

I expect we will eke out a couple of points here and there. Millwall away and Brentford at home are my predictions.

Get through to April and it doesn't look much easier - away games at Wycombe and Sheffield Wed could decide our fate but other tough fixtures away at Cardiff and home v Bournemouth and Derby. I don't think there's any point even kicking off against Bournemouth because they were in the Premier League last year and spent money so we've no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We have to play both Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday away. Defeats in those games could be fatal, wins could keep us up.

The next month is going to be a fascinating watch. We have a set of fixtures that are tough by any measure, our record this season shows we struggle to get results against the better sides and rely on individual quality to dispatch the poorer sides.

I don't think it is unlikely that we go through March without winning. By the time April arrives we could be looking at 0 wins in 12 games and if we were to even go as far as to lose them all it would be 11 defeats in 12 games.

I expect we will eke out a couple of points here and there. Millwall away and Brentford at home are my predictions.

Get through to April and it doesn't look much easier - away games at Wycombe and Sheffield Wed could decide our fate but other tough fixtures away at Cardiff and home v Bournemouth and Derby. I don't think there's any point even kicking off against Bournemouth because they were in the Premier League last year and spent money so we've no chance.

Another reason to get rid of Mowbray ASAP, always bigging up everyone else and putting Rovers down, trying to downplay expectations so he can push massive achievements if he ever manages to get a win (against anyone at this rate)

Losers mentality and it shows through in his management.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, bazza said:

Please read Jim's post, the whole of it. Note the date it was written. 2 bloody years ago.

Nothing has changed. Rovers fans who think we want rid of Mowbray because of the last 6 matches should read this and take note.

Just shows how no progress has been made and would suggest even more than seven are going to need replacing this summer. It's rinse and repeat from Mowbray.

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 28/02/2021 at 22:43, bazza said:

Nothing has changed. Rovers fans who think we want rid of Mowbray because of the last 6 matches should read this and take note.

Speaking of the last 6 games though, I see we're now rock bottom of the form table:

https://www.thefishy.net/formtable.php?table=2

Even if you go by the last 10 games we're in the bottom 3.

It truly is the direst of dire death spiral, and that takes some doing with what's gone before.

I genuinely can't see how any Rovers fan, however positive they are generally, can not be reaching for the panic button. Even worse, some of them are incredulous that it's being touted. Mystifying. 

There's showing loyalty and giving managers a chance, I get that, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Tony should have been on it. 

• Like 6

On 28/02/2021 at 14:44, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We still have Rotherham to play iirc, not sure about Sheff W. They only need a couple of wins each whilst we stagger through March pointless and we are in a world of trouble. They play each other this week so that's potentially 3 points for one of them.

I think we'll be OK though. Probably a low points total this, season for the relegated clubs. It won't be the 53(?) we got when we went down. 

I doubt we will get 50 points , unfortunately its looking like he aint going anywhere ...Time to pray and hope those below us dont 50 points ...

He should have gone at 2230hrs last night at the latest 

Rotherham very impressive against an admittedly pathetic Wednesday who threw away their point with a series of dire incidents in added time. I certainly don't fancy Rovers chances against Rotherham away in late April. Rovers are WELL AND TRULY in the RELEGATION scrap now. I fear that Mowbrayvs purity possession football with a wobbly defence and a hamstrung Armstrong will complete that "journey" back to League 1 and God knows where from there. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, alcd said:

Rotherham very impressive against an admittedly pathetic Wednesday who threw away their point with a series of dire incidents in added time. I certainly don't fancy Rovers chances against Rotherham away in late April. Rovers are WELL AND TRULY in the RELEGATION scrap now. I fear that Mowbrayvs purity possession football with a wobbly defence and a hamstrung Armstrong will complete that "journey" back to League 1 and God knows where from there. 

The points gap , might just save us ... Hopefully 🙏🙏

I wasn't entirely sold on the Rovers relegation front but the combination of the Coventry result on Saturday, our run before the international break and Rotherham's result tonight have got me very worried. If Wednesday get a new manager bounce under Moore (and there are worse mangers they could have got) and the 97th minute winner with ten men gets the Millers' tails up we could be right in the mire come this time next month.

It is unthinkable that a few weeks ago we were going "Is this our chance to finally break into the top six?".

24 minutes ago, GHR said:

I wasn't entirely sold on the Rovers relegation front but the combination of the Coventry result on Saturday, our run before the international break and Rotherham's result tonight have got me very worried. If Wednesday get a new manager bounce under Moore (and there are worse mangers they could have got) and the 97th minute winner with ten men gets the Millers' tails up we could be right in the mire come this time next month.

It is unthinkable that a few weeks ago we were going "Is this our chance to finally break into the top six?".

The other six teams between us and the bottom three will be feeling exactly the same.

1 hour ago, GHR said:

Didn't realise Moore had gone to Sheff Wed. Was wondering today if he might be an option for us. Done quite well at Doncaster.

Might be a bit too late for them this season but he should be a good appointment either way.

As for us I'd get the Cowley brothers in. And fast.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

They are still in a worse position than we are, although their present form is better than ours.

It's a worrying time. From a current form point of view we must be bottom of the pile. Unless we can get our act together we're in real trouble. I can't escape the feeling that things have gone badly wrong behind the scenes. Why are we prepared to let Williams leave when we're really stuck for experienced centre halves ? Are the " injured " highly paid experienced players really badly injured ?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a worrying time. From a current form point of view we must be bottom of the pile. Unless we can get our act together we're in real trouble. I can't escape the feeling that things have gone badly wrong behind the scenes. Why are we prepared to let Williams leave when we're really stuck for experienced centre halves ? Are the " injured " highly paid experienced players really badly injured ?  

The worrying thing for me is, that I have stopped worrying. The only reason I am still interested, is because of redundancy I have more time on my hands than I used to have.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

The worrying thing for me is, that I have stopped worrying. The only reason I am still interested, is because of redundancy I have more time on my hands than I used to have.

We are the least well equipped side to enter a relegation battle. Everywhere you look at the club it's wrong. We need to become hard to score against yet Mowbray hasn't signed the players to do that. Two kids at centre half ! The man's an idiot.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The case of Williams certainly has a whiff of the 'Nelsen's about it.

• Like 1

Looking closer at the recent collapses

Comparison

Rovers (20/21) vs Hull City (19/20)

After 26 games, both teams were 8th with 39 points

After 30 games, both teams still had 39 points, Rovers were 12th, Hull 14th

After 32 games, both teams had 40 points, Rovers and Hull both 15th position

After 33 games, Rovers still have 40 points and are 15th, Hull had 41 points and were 15th

What happened next

Hull lost games 34, 35, 36, 37 and 38 to remain on 41 points, by which point they slipped into the drop zone 

Rovers have Millwall away (34), Swansea home (35), Brentford home (36), Bristol City home (37) and Norwich away (38)

Hull drew game 39 and won game 40, leaving them on 45 points and 19th place. 

Rovers have Wycombe away (39) and Bournemouth home (40).

Hull then lost their last six to finish bottom