BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

An organised team could easily go and win 7 out of the next 10 games, do that and we'd be in and around the playoff mix. If we continue as we are then we can write the season off in January.

It's still possible to do something this season, but the next few games are vital.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the myths that posters have touted as being broken by Venkys decisions to sack Bowyer and Co and to appoint more notable replacements, the biggest one hasn't had a mention.

How many times did I read on here, right up to the sacking, that no manager of any stature would be attracted to Rovers?

I holded my hands up this morning.

I really didnt think we bring in or attract a quality manager like Lambert but we have.

Hopefully with Lambert bring in Irvine and Kelly as part of his staff we will look at bringing through players from the academy.

The half season ticket advertisement on the official website has been bumped up an hour ago. Is this a sign that an announcement is imminent?

There is a big poster campaign in the bus shelters in town too on the season tickets. Started on Friday.

They must have a plan that Lambert is happy with. Can't see it being to sell Rhodes

He might not fancy Rhodes.

Of all places I never thought UFC events would be spoiled on this forum. Cheers!

Agreed! Thank heavens I watched it first thing this morning or I would have been gutted to see that spoiler sneaked in there.

Back on topic... very happy with this trio of appointments if it's all done and dusted as everyone seems to think it is. Hopefully the end of some dark days and the start of a period of positivity on and off the pitch. For the first time in ages I'm thinking of crossing the water to Ewood park... If I'm thinking like that, surely those who live closer will return? Cmon Rovers!!

I don't view us as a circus anymore and I'm not sure many do. Bowyer genuinely needs commending for that.

So £120m in debt, no boardroom structure, owners that never attend games, players being sold without the managers consent, a chairman thats happy to admit he's incompetent, I could go on and you don't think we're a circus anymore!!

We're still very much a circus in my opinion, but if we can attract Lambert hopefully he'll not put it with bullsh1t.

Thanks Mani for the info

What do you think has made them act now rather than last season when we were drifting out of touch with the playoffs? If they had acted in January this year we might have made a late run last season. Bowyer used all his lives up?

Not sure mate. I think they were doing a great job assembling last seasons team but they blew it!! A team with Hanley, Duffy, Cairney, Evans and Conway along with a 41 goal strike partnership should not finish 9pts off the playoffs...

Had we been out of the embargo in the summer do I think they'd have sacked Gaz? Yeah I reckon so. Last season was 'the' season for Gaz, Shorty and that team...they blew it!

In terms of his sacking. I get it. The break before January when they expect to come out of the embargo. The plan appears to be, get the right team, provide some funds, and get promoted!!

It's been known for 18 months or more, and mentioned several times by myself, Bowyer had targets:

2013/14 top ten finish

2014/15 top six finish

2015/16 promotion

Bowyer and his team can have no complaints about their failure in 2014/15 and failure to build a squad capable of at least challenging for promotion.

Agreed.

Can someone enlighten me as to why Lambert would want Irvine AND Kelly?

Manager

Assistant manager

First team coach

Think we need to remember that at the moment we still only have the 1 striker who can score and a couple of decent attackers who can't. We've created more this season up until recently yet we can only rely on the one guy and he's off colour once every few games.

The new man may be a manager not a coach for a change but he ain't a magician. He's going to need help in the form of money and transfers to mount any kind of push. I do accept though that even without that he should be able to kick us on a bit.

Sherwood has shown in his last 2 appointments that he's a coach and not a manager, i'd like to think we've just learn't that appointing coaches to managerial positions doesn't work, but you never know with this lot.

Waving your arms around on the touchline doesn't make you a manager, just ask any Villa fan, he was rubbish.

I think he could be(or could have been) a good manager if he'd have put his ego aside and learnt his trade at a lower league club(as all the best managers do) instead of jumping into the spotlight of the premier league.

Rob Kelly was heavily involved at Rovers during the years when we unearthed a lot of talented young players. I imagine we are going to really focus on the academy and move it on a level as it has either been producing very little that the first team can use, or alternatively, has been underused.

Interesting point. I was speaking last night to a former player who was in the academy when Rob Kelly was there. Asked his opinion of Kelly. He was really complimentary. Said Kelly was very very professional and insisted on the highest standards from players. An absolute stickler...

Also urged caution on the idea of his youth team expertise. He said that at that time Robers were throwing money at everyone do they could outbid The likes of United for young players. So their success back then had to be put into context.

So Kelly is a top coach and mentor for the players. A ball breaker who refuses to let anyone slack off...I'm even more excited!!

It feels like an eternity between the sacking and appointment. Maybe it is just the 70 plus pages. My only fear is that once Lambert is announced , he has to sell Rhodes to spend money.

I think the possibility of the quick appointment has raised expectations.

Fulham and QPR sacked their managers before we did and are still waiting.

This is not meant as a dig at you, Mercer, but personally, I smart every time I hear Venky's described, as naive or passive recipients.

They have been agents( no pun intended )in all that has gone on. Don't forget arrogance, certainty, refusal to listen, denial, broken promises...and bullshit...

Now that's off my chest LOL

Agree 100%. They are a lot of things, but naive is not one of them. This was a vanity project from the start and went wrong almost immediately.

A footballing version of The Emperor's New Clothes. The ongoing shambles is nothing more than refusing to admit they fecked it up.

lets see what this new chapter brings.

So £120m in debt, no boardroom structure, owners that never attend games, players being sold without the managers consent, a chairman thats happy to admit he's incompetent, I could go on and you don't think we're a circus anymore!!

We're still very much a circus in my opinion, but if we can attract Lambert hopefully he'll not put it with bullsh1t.

Not £120 million in debt, most of it is shares that the Venky's own

They must have a plan that Lambert is happy with. Can't see it being to sell Rhodes

I'm ambivalent about Rhodes, always have been to be honest. Yeah he's a great goal scorer but he's not a great all round striker. What he brings in goals you lose in all around forward play. Anyway that issue has been done to death. My point is given the totem he's become at the club would any new manager be brave/foolish enough to sell him so early in his managership ? I think not.

The debt is to the owners. You wanted them to not attend Ewood - then complain that they aren't there. The Shaw stuff could be perceived by some as telling porkies to save money.

Ewood isn't a circus. There hasn't been a revolving managerial door for 2.5years. Shebby is a distant nightmare etc. Although a lot of what has gone on is mundane for fans, signings average, embargo imposed due to rules...the bills have been paid and the manager left to do his best. Far from a circus Gav.

Certainly do - able. Crystal Palace did it under Iain Dowie too. Came from nowhere.

Norwich had a great run last season too.

Above all, I can honestly say that with this manager I can imagine us kicking on a level. With the old one, we levelled off quickly and started regressing. I would gladly watch us improve this season with the idea of giving it our all next.

I don't view us as a circus anymore and I'm not sure many do. Bowyer genuinely needs commending for that.

Really? Even I can't blame Bowyer for this, but we have an MD who patently is employed as an office boy and a non communicating Director of Communications.

Bowyer was an over promoted youth coach living the dream.

Hopefully, Venky's new 'eyes and ears' guy at the club is responsible for this unexpected outbreak of common sense.

If the target/expectation on the new manager is promotion I'd be very surprised if the first thing he did was sell our star player who is the only man we have who scores goals.

I'd expect the presence of Rhodes would be a pull to an ambitious manager.

The Football League want us to be forced into selling our best players and would happily allow sides like Boro or Wednesday to spend the money despite having a lower turnover than ourselves.

I hope they have found a way out of the embargo without having to sell anyone else. We've done enough sales wise. More than anyone else in fact. Time for some clever accounting or a legal challenge.

I'd expect the presence of Rhodes would be a pull to an ambitious manager.

I'd also expect the presence of an ambitious manager to be a pull for Rhodes.

Really? Even I can't blame Bowyer for this, but we have an MD who patently is employed as an office boy and a non communicating Director of Communications.

Bowyer was an over promoted youth coach living the dream.

Hopefully, Venky's new 'eyes and ears' guy at the club is responsible for this unexpected outbreak of common sense.

We must have different definitions of a circus. I thought we were more of a wet lettuce of a club, a shadow of it's former self. Rather than a 'what the hell will this week bring' circa 2010 - 13.

Archived