BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

The Pune royalty will not take orders from an employee...........end off.

I don't really see it as Lambert giving them orders. They appointed him in November and his brief will have been simple - get us promoted. Now it appears the Indians won't give him the tools to do the job. Lambert is a proud man and will be messed about. In all honesty I have resigned myself to him leaving and for us several years of struggle and inevitable relegations.

I despise those cretins for the irreparable damage they have caused to our club.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rev, this squad needs 8 or 9 quality signings this summer to challenge for promotion.

We need rid of 10/11 players and rebuild the squad.

Thats why Lambert is pushing for big budget. The squad when he took over wasn't good enough for anything more than relegation scrap

Those brought in in January have hardly set the world alight either

Possibly if we looked like we could get closer to the play offs better signings we'd have seen

I think Mercer has hit the nail on the head also on another thread Paul analysing the debt and the reality that even a season up in the premership no longer clears the decks

I don't know the answer but I do know these twohats have really screwed this club

How does that work?

Five years ago would you have guessed where we are now?

If you had you'd have been labelled hysterical.

And in 1972, if I would have predicted what would happen in the next thirty years I would have been carted off to Brockhall ( before it was a football training facility ).

We're in a relegation struggle WITH Lambert this season surely?

Albeit one we should narrowly survive.

Realistically we were in a relegation struggle from the first minute of the this season. If we survive we can thank Lambert and several of the players. Nobody else comes out with much credit.

Rev, this squad needs 8 or 9 quality signings this summer to challenge for promotion.

We need rid of 10/11 players and rebuild the squad.

But but I thought we were doing okay with these players under the last manager? Hmmmm!

I must say that I have been and remain tremendously impressed with Lambert. Once again, tonight, down to ten men he is still making attacking substitutions, looking to take the game to the opposition and grind out a result. Losing Lambert would be a huge blow to this club and one which I can see leading to a relegation struggle next season. If the owners aren't prepared to back the man that THEY appointed then there really is no hope for the club.

I have actually been a little disappointed with Lambert. Don't get me wrong - you can see what he is trying to do - and at times we have played ok - but he really hasn't made the positive impact I thought he would.

I have actually been a little disappointed with Lambert. Don't get me wrong - you can see what he is trying to do - and at times we have played ok - but he really hasn't made the positive impact I thought he would.

It's hard to know what to think. I also expected a bit more in terms of performance from a Lambert team. Maybe the players are as poor as I suspected. At the start of the season I expected us to either go down or escape by the skin of our teeth. I think we'll escape by a little bit more than that.

I agree to an extent but we've had some rotten luck. We've lost 2-3 games where we've played well and didn't deserve to lose. We've also had a player sent off three games on the trot.

I still stand by the statement that Lambert is only slightly better than Bowyer as a manager and in turn not good enough to get us promoted, this year or next. I make this observation based on the following.

1. If keeping Bowyer was sure shot relegation, it seems now that Lambert will keep us just above it.

2. Bowyer was accused of not being able to hold on to leads, so is Lambert.

3. Lambert supposedly plays a more attacking form of football while Bowyer used to sit back. This has not helped us much. We do not have the best strike force in the League so what is the use if you cannot protect a lead? We still keep leaking goals. We have seldom had any 0-0 draws if at all. Also, our strike force is incapable of outscoring the opponent in every game. Plus we have to take into account injuries and loss of form.

4. Lambert has reshaped half the team this january, and I am far from impressed with his 6 signings. Only Bennett and Graham have been moderately successful. While Lamberts in game tactics are better than Bowyers, his ability to get more out of existing players is average at best. For every Marshall performing better, there is a Conway who is worse.

5. I pointed it out in Jan and will do it again, why did he buy LM and attacking midfielders and strikers when we needed full backs? For this reason alone I would be very skeptical of providing him any significant money at all.

6. Some may argue that we play better as a team. Do we? Well, we might attack better as a team, we certainly dont defend as a team. Pressing high and running around might sound good, and look like putting a shift in, but its pointless if you cannot prevent the ball going into the net. 3 red cards in 3 matches does not show a very positive team spirit either.

7. Forget automatic promotion, we are closer to relegation than challenging for the playoffs. I do not see improvements or signs that show Lambert can take us to the promised land. For those saying money will buy you promotion, only with the right manager, with the right players, with the right tactics, with the right motivation and with an amount of luck. Like no injuries, no loss of form, etc.

To conclude- I would still give the manager a full pre-season and and allow him to sign 5-6 more players. If you cannot improve the team by changing the first 11, and we are not challenging for the play offs next season he has to go. You need to have a well oiled system to get promoted. There is a difference in having faith and blind faith. Also the fact that we might not be able to get in a pearson or a bruce or dyche or a mick

To have Paul Lambert and Alan Irvine running the playing side of the club is still beyond my widest dreams with everything thats happened over the past 5yrs and the state the club currently finds itself in.

The bottom line for me is you're never going to progress with the likes of Apkan, Spurr, Brown, Steele, Henley and Delfonso in the side, Marshall at full back and Gomez, who anyone on the league would probably have taken but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Lamberts the man to turn the clubs fortunes around, I have no doubt about that, but if the idiots in Pune don't back him, and looking at recent history and the incoming players they're not going to, our last hope will walk through the door and I don't blame the guy one bit.

Now we know why the only two managers to last any prolonged period of time under this regime have been Kean and Bowyer. Both of them recognised from the start the importance of a personal link with Desai and worked from there. Frequent flights out to India during the season to have face to face talks with her seem to be the only way the club/manager can get things done and get decisions made. Allardyce, Berg, Appleton and now Lambert have not had that connection, and that has prevented them from doing their jobs to the best of their ability. Allardyce lasted 2 weeks, Berg and Appleton a couple of months, Lambert will manage half a season.

They aren't ever going to change. They won't entrust a board with the power to run the club. Lambert is clearly reaching breaking point having to answer questions on all issues without any board to discuss things with or help him.

Even if Venkys agreed to a healthy budget in the summer I would have no faith in them actually delivering it or putting in place an effective structure for the summer. They won't bring in a proper CEO who can run transfers from Ewood. They will need to 'sign off' the expenditure and that will result in delays and likely missing out on transfer targets.

I am pleased that Lambert is going public with his concerns and I would respect him if he walked, although I would be devastated about it and the future of the club. His appointment in November and the period up to February was the most optimism I have had for Rovers since they took over the club. Presumably Venkys won't take kindly to being publically held to task or told what they should do by a lowly employee and Lambert's replacement will have to be another yes man who is grateful for a job and will work under whatever conditions they throw at him. Might as well go and get Bowyer back. At least he had an eye for a player and kept us clear of trouble for 2 years.

I still stand by the statement that Lambert is only slightly better than Bowyer as a manager and in turn not good enough to get us promoted, this year or next. I make this observation based on the following.

1. If keeping Bowyer was sure shot relegation, it seems now that Lambert will keep us just above it.

2. Bowyer was accused of not being able to hold on to leads, so is Lambert.

3. Lambert supposedly plays a more attacking form of football while Bowyer used to sit back. This has not helped us much. We do not have the best strike force in the League so what is the use if you cannot protect a lead? We still keep leaking goals. We have seldom had any 0-0 draws if at all. Also, our strike force is incapable of outscoring the opponent in every game. Plus we have to take into account injuries and loss of form.

4. Lambert has reshaped half the team this january, and I am far from impressed with his 6 signings. Only Bennett and Graham have been moderately successful. While Lamberts in game tactics are better than Bowyers, his ability to get more out of existing players is average at best. For every Marshall performing better, there is a Conway who is worse.

5. I pointed it out in Jan and will do it again, why did he buy LM and attacking midfielders and strikers when we needed full backs? For this reason alone I would be very skeptical of providing him any significant money at all.

6. Some may argue that we play better as a team. Do we? Well, we might attack better as a team, we certainly dont defend as a team. Pressing high and running around might sound good, and look like putting a shift in, but its pointless if you cannot prevent the ball going into the net. 3 red cards in 3 matches does not show a very positive team spirit either.

7. Forget automatic promotion, we are closer to relegation than challenging for the playoffs. I do not see improvements or signs that show Lambert can take us to the promised land. For those saying money will buy you promotion, only with the right manager, with the right players, with the right tactics, with the right motivation and with an amount of luck. Like no injuries, no loss of form, etc.

To conclude- I would still give the manager a full pre-season and and allow him to sign 5-6 more players. If you cannot improve the team by changing the first 11, and we are not challenging for the play offs next season he has to go. You need to have a well oiled system to get promoted. There is a difference in having faith and blind faith. Also the fact that we might not be able to get in a pearson or a bruce or dyche or a mick

I don't altogether agree re Lambert's recruitment of new players. Jackson was brought in as an impact player at minimal cost and when he's been used in that role he's done OK. Ward was bought in as a reserve centre half and he's done all you could ask there.

Watt has turned out to be a gamble that hasn't yet paid off but might well do in the future.

Graham and Bennet have both proved worth the shirt.

Only Gomez looks like being a real flop but how many other clubs in this league would have signed him in January if the could ?

A lot of valid points on this board

Yes we all know that the only way to run this club is with a proper board with authority in the UK who can sign off transfer budgets expenditure etc without waiting for approval from India until that happens no matter who we have as manager progress won't happen

Imho I think the indian advisor told Venky's get in a manager and backroom staff and you'll make the play offs. Lift FFP and if need be a bit more investment in January may have push us up

some people may say but they were badly advised yet again... RUBBISH

The club needs to be UK run

I don't think PL did his homework properly on what he was getting into and now his getting very frustrated Noone to turn to at the club and the situation highly likely worse than at villa

This stems from the club not being run from the UK

Lambert has the same budget as Bowyer did in the summer: zero.

Bowyer brought in Delfouneso, Guthrie, Akpan, Koita & who could forget Petshi.

Lambert has brought in Graham, Watt, Jackson, Bennett & Gomez.

I must say that I have been and remain tremendously impressed with Lambert. Once again, tonight, down to ten men he is still making attacking substitutions, looking to take the game to the opposition and grind out a result. Losing Lambert would be a huge blow to this club and one which I can see leading to a relegation struggle next season. If the owners aren't prepared to back the man that THEY appointed then there really is no hope for the club.

Yes Parson, I'm impressed as well. You only have to look at what's happening on the pitch to appreciate the improvements in the fitness and style of play. He has the desire to get us to where we all want to be. Keep hold of him, work with him and he's the best chance of this club moving forwards that we've had during the last 6 years.

As you say, the last three games - which some folk are picking on to argue the results aren't good enough - have seen us down to ten men. One of those games we won, Preston we were in front when we had the man sent off and last night it was level when we had the man sent off. Lambert could do little about that, but some folk are using that against him. You have to wonder why, don't you.

That's not right. gomez and Graham are on big wages and Watt cost a loan fee. bowyer didn't have this to work with.

I thought when we brought PL in we would see a marked improvement in the players we had but we haven't really seen that. I think with investment in the summer we could push up to the top half under him but I think we're a million miles away from promotion with or without PL. If he goes though I would put us down as certs for the drop cos who are we likely to get instead and what kind of budget would they have?

Only after getting Rhodes off the wage bill though and cashing in on Olsson. Although no way on earth would GB ever have tried something as ambitious as he was gradually loading us up with crap. Ok they were frees but they'll be on decent wages and anyone knowing anything would be able to see from their past record that you'll never get much game time return out of the injury prone likes of Guthrie & Delfy. Risky stuff by Bowyer that was who lets be honest couldn't spot a player if he had 4 eyes.

That's not right. gomez and Graham are on big wages and Watt cost a loan fee. bowyer didn't have this to work with.

Bowyer sold Cairney & Gestede, who would've been on decent wages. He clearly had scope to bring in his own players if we were handing out £10k a week contracts to nobodies like Koita.

Thats exactly what I have a problem with. The players he has brought in are just OK at best. Wont get us relegated surely. But not good enough for promotion as well if the objective is Promotion. If the objective is mid table mediocrity, then his signings have been more than good enough. Also, he has brought in players for the wrong positions/purposes. Did we really need an impact striker? Did we need another reserve CB? Did he not see that we needed a RB? Was he not able to find anyone better than Adam Henley? Or did he also like Bowyer think marshall was good enough and best suited for the RB spot? Similarly for LB. Also, did we really really need a number 10? Did we really really need that Grimes kid from swansea? My point is he has grossly neglected defense in favour of wide players. Which is again my point of him being marginally better than Bowyer in terms of player recruitment. Bowyer loaded the squad with mid fielders thinking midfield was the problem and Lambert is loading the squad with attacking players and strikers. Considering this it would be presumed we were keeping clean sheet after clean sheet.

I don't altogether agree re Lambert's recruitment of new players. Jackson was brought in as an impact player at minimal cost and when he's been used in that role he's done OK. Ward was bought in as a reserve centre half and he's done all you could ask there.

Watt has turned out to be a gamble that hasn't yet paid off but might well do in the future.

Graham and Bennet have both proved worth the shirt.

Only Gomez looks like being a real flop but how many other clubs in this league would have signed him in January if the could ?

Archived