BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

What an absolute circus. So now we have a manager who doesn't know whether he'll be here or not next season. With the appointment of Lambert I guess many of us thought maybe Venky's had turned a corner and made a sensible decision for once. Maybe it was wishful thinking that there would be some sort of contingency plan involving giving him money to spend in the summer. With this amount of uncertainty in the air, any sensible owner would come out and make statement to clarify what the situation is but we all know that's not very likely to happen.

It really is a scary time at the moment, a large chunk of our playing squad are either out of contract in the summer or only here on loan deals at the moment. We desperately need an experienced manager here to help re-build the team. Lambert leaves and it's not unfeasible to see the few remaining decent players in our squad wanting out as well.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't know yet what will be offered to Lambert or indeed whether he has had an offer but is keeping his cards close to his chest so that other clubs don't think he has money to spend and therefore increase their prices.

Surely over the years they have been owners the Rao's must have learned something.

If Lambert leaves I genuinely think the bottom will fall out of this club. For many supporters it will be the final straw in a long history of rubbish from the club. It will be clear to any other credible manager that you can't work for these people effectively. Bring on the desperate yes men who will put up with Venkys if it means a managerial job in the Championship. People like Hanley, Duffy and Marshall will not want to hang around for another year at a club with no ambition. Combined with out of contract players and loans ending this is going to be a massive rebuilding job. Whatever resources are available to the manager, he needs to get to work now identifying players who might be interested in coming here next season and tying up free transfers like Danny Graham. Every week that goes by without clarification from the owners is a week less to prepare for a major summer.

An overhaul is essential, whatever our ambitions. If we want to challenge for promotion or even avoid relegation next season we need investment of some shape or other and double figure arrivals. Make no mistake, even with Lambert in charge if we go into next season still relying on the likes of Brown, Jackson, Henley etc. we will do well to finish 21st next season.

With someone like Lambert running transfer activity he is a name and manager that alone will make players sit up and take an interest in coming here.

160 mill ? Steady on. Don't forget all the Prem tv money, parachute money and probably about 50/60 mill of player sales that have poured through the club since they took over.

I'm pretty sure the original bank debt and poss the 23 mill purchase price are in that share issue total at VLL. Certain the original overdraft is anyway as they took it off Rovers books and put it on VLL on purchase as it was a stipulation of the deal to supposedly pay it off.

I suspect the amount put in by Venkys is closer to £140m as reflected by the £88m shown as owed to them in the accounts as at 30 June 2015 plus the share capital of Venkys London that was c£51m (as at 31/3/12) plus whatever has been subscribed for new shares since 31/3/12. This also assumes that cashflow in the current season is neutral as the loss of c£15m will be setoff by income from player sales since June 2015 of about the same amount.

We don't know yet what will be offered to Lambert or indeed whether he has had an offer but is keeping his cards close to his chest so that other clubs don't think he has money to spend and therefore increase their prices.

Surely over the years they have been owners the Rao's must have learned something.

It's a nice sentiment, Al. But, to do that, does Lambert really need to make the types of worrying public comments that he has 'not spoken to the owners' or that we fans (and players) will have to 'wait and see' if he will be our manager at the end of the season?

All Venkys need to do is pick up the phone and all of this uncertainty goes away.

If the fans are concerned by the apparent state of things do you think that prospective players and their agents are going to want to join? I'm hoping right now that the current uncertainty doesn't translate itself onto the pitch before we are safe. Watt going today is very curious. Genuinely injured, or looking for a way out and we agree to save on the wages? He was one of our prospects (loan with a fee agreed?) and it has turned sour very quickly.

It's a nice sentiment, Al. But, to do that, does Lambert really need to make the types of worrying public comments that he has 'not spoken to the owners' or that we fans (and players) will have to 'wait and see' if he will be our manager at the end of the season?

All Venkys need to do is pick up the phone and all of this uncertainty goes away.

If the fans are concerned by the apparent state of things do you think that prospective players and their agents are going to want to join? I'm hoping right now that the current uncertainty doesn't translate itself onto the pitch before we are safe. Watt going today is very curious. Genuinely injured, or looking for a way out and we agree to save on the wages? He was one of our prospects (loan with a fee agreed?) and it has turned sour very quickly.

Re Watt. If a player make such dramatic signals and leaves the pitch a few minutes into a game, then it isn't really a surprise that he could be out for 6 weeks?

Re Watt. If a player make such dramatic signals and leaves the pitch a few minutes into a game, then it isn't really a surprise that he could be out for 6 weeks?

Maybe. On its own. The trouble is that few people connected with the club are due any benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Ah here. On the lack of communication:

Q: Do you let it get to you?

PL: Publicly? No I probably hide it pretty well.Inside? It's probably different.

That's absolutely desperate to hear. Ominous indeed.

Oh dear. Not heard the context, but that sounds about as bad as it gets.

Ah here. On the lack of communication:

Q: Do you let it get to you?

PL: Publicly? No I probably hide it pretty well.Inside? It's probably different.

That's absolutely desperate to hear. Ominous indeed.

Well, he's not doing a great job of hiding it publicly so I can only think that his office must be littered with bits of broken china.

IF Nixon is right (big IF) then we could be staring a 'Blackpool' down the barrel what with about 11 outfield players under contract for next season.

I think sooner or later, the issues and stories will start to unfurl and Nixon will be seen as having been 'on the money' (metaphorically) with all this. Even by what we are used to seeing with Venky's, I think we will be surprised at just what has been going on.

I think sooner or later, the issues and stories will start to unfurl and Nixon will be seen as having been 'on the money' (metaphorically) with all this. Even by what we are used to seeing with Venky's, I think we will be surprised at just what has been going on.

You mean having played the "Lambert will have a warchest" card before the transfer window and been spectacularly wrong, he now plays the "lambert to get no money" card.

Genius.

• Moderation Lead

We shall see eh? The lad gets more wrong than he does right in general I'd say.

I heard tonight from a source in Glasgow that is fairly closely connected to Celtic that Lambert has been sounded out about taking them over in the summer.

It may well be that people have seen his statements in the press and jumped to conclusions (Celtic will definitely pot Ronnie Deila) but this fella has been right before about things associated with that club.

Before anybody says "why would he go to Celtic?", he just would. It's a no-brainer for Lambert at this moment in time.

That would be an ideal scenario for Venkys .....

You mean having played the "Lambert will have a warchest" card before the transfer window and been spectacularly wrong, he now plays the "lambert to get no money" card.

Genius.

And Rovers going after Cortese then less than a week later Venkys had enough and are sick of it.

Forgive me but I'm not in the least surprised at all. I had brief elation when Lambert came but suspicions soon got the better of me again.

I'm just clinging to the hope that there is a budget of some sort although it doesn't mean he'll accept it if there is. I've thought Irvine will end up in charge from the moment he was announced number 2. Don't know why but I'm very suspicious of the whole charade from when they unbelievably appointed PL. Smells like a set up all around to me but that's just my humble take on it.

Yes they've been ripped off, yes maybe one or two are nice people but to me they've been con artists from the start one way or another and this is just another glaring example of it.

Just a thought why doesn't Lambert fly out to India and talk to the owners? Every manager that has been its worked in their favour spending wise...they may even listen to him and appoint a chairman? Does Lambert have to be that stubborn or is he looking for an excuse to get out because he underestimated the job at hand????

Just a thought why doesn't Lambert fly out to India and talk to the owners? Every manager that has been its worked in their favour spending wise...they may even listen to him and appoint a chairman? Does Lambert have to be that stubborn or is he looking for an excuse to get out because he underestimated the job at hand????

I've never agreed with the manager jetting of to India. Bowyer used to always go at the most ridiculous times too. Kean did as well but he was better off out of the way.

Lambert has already made noises to the effect tha his job is to manage the football team, not the football.

If Venkys have a plan they need to speed it up. BRFC is an absolute priority for its fans but simply another agenda item for its owners.

Archived