BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

From Today Sun on Sunday

Blackburn are stalling on handling boss Paul Lambert a war chest for this summer.

The Rovers boss wants 20 million pounds for players but owners Venkys will not cough up as they fear Lambo could be possible target for old club Celtic

Can't see it. If its so its easily solved----offer him 20M on condition he stays, heavy financial penalties if he changes his mind.

Seems to me that on this scenario Venkys will bring about the thing they fear!

Don't believe it anyway.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Today Sun on Sunday

Blackburn are stalling on handling boss Paul Lambert a war chest for this summer.

The Rovers boss wants 20 million pounds for players but owners Venkys will not cough up as they fear Lambo could be possible target for old club Celtic

He spent £650k when he won the League One title. He spent a further £600k when he then got Norwich into the PL - presumably having instilled a winning mentality into a fairly average squad.

He did spend big once he got into the PL though.

This kind of story seems designed to turn the spotlight away from Venkys and onto Lambert. Is he really asking for £20m?

Only two conclusions to draw from Nixons recent articles, either mass confusion reigns again or as usual he's just making stuff up.

I don't understand his fascination with us. We are small time now but most weeks we get a mention in the paper.

He spent £650k when he won the League One title. He spent a further £600k when he then got Norwich into the PL - presumably having instilled a winning mentality into a fairly average squad.

This kind of story seems designed to turn the spotlight away from Venkys and onto Lambert. Is he really asking for £20m?

I agree. 20 million pounds from a club already 100 million in debt is a joke imo.

I think 6-7 million plus some expensive free transfers is the way to go. What we need is a winning ethos instilled into the team- over to you Paul.

I read it differently - more like an ultimatum från Lamberts agent with the threat of going to Celtic if PL is not given 20m to spend (actual figure may vary). Then get a hack to spin it as being about Venkys...

At first I was going to say I can't see him wanting £20m in this division. Then you look at the squad and the players leaving in the Summer and it's probably about right. We need pretty much a whole team if we want to compete.

Not sure what number he wore but what it was ,on that minute next home game the ground should stand up and give it pl blue & white army ...after that minis up everyone sit down in silence in a v defience even if we score sit down and then when that is up celebrate scoring.

Keeps everyone happy

I don't understand his fascination with us. We are small time now but most weeks we get a mention in the paper.

The scoops he had in the JW/Dalglish era probably bought him a house and since the V's & Kean etc he's probably had a few new cars out of his stories. That's why the morbid fascination I reckon also with crackpot owners it's easy to just chuck any old stuff out there and in general no one questions it they just assume it's the usual farce.

We've been Nickos meal ticket for a long time so he should bloody love us !

I agree. 20 million pounds from a club already 100 million in debt is a joke imo.

I think 6-7 million plus some expensive free transfers is the way to go. What we need is a winning ethos instilled into the team- over to you Paul.

I agree because i'll be honest unless we have the modern day equivalent of Dalglish & Harford stood in the dug out and competent trustworthy directors in office then throwing huge sums around again will turn into another farce. Money will disappear again for sure because still no one tasked with spending it actually has the club at heart.

I want them to invest heavily but do it properly over a couple of seasons with like you say a decent amount and the rest covering a bit of flexibility on the wages for some top loan players.

I agree because i'll be honest unless we have the modern day equivalent of Dalglish & Harford stood in the dug out and competent trustworthy directors in office then throwing huge sums around again will turn into another farce. Money will disappear again for sure because still no one tasked with spending it actually has the club at heart.

I want them to invest heavily but do it properly over a couple of seasons with like you say a decent amount and the rest covering a bit of flexibility on the wages for some top loan players.

As for certain without a proper board structure with power every leach going will see a chance to fleece cash out of the so called twenty million and of course we'll have halfwits complaining it's not Venky's fault they were badly advised again

He is a small time journalist. All he does is speculate whilst covering as many bases as possible. I really can't take anything he writes seriously. But as you rightly say he has some ridiculous fascination with us.

Just to summarise Nixon's reporting on the situation over the last 3 weeks.

First off he said that Lambert was going to be getting money in the summer, but not at the level he wanted or expected.

Then last weekend he said an approach had been made sounding out Nicola Cortese to come in as CEO.

Then last week he said that Venkys had decided there was no money to be spent, and are basically fed up with the whole thing, and that Lambert knows this but isn't letting on to supporters/media.

Then today he's saying that Lambert wants £20 million to spend in the summer, which is hardly a reasonable expectation for a Championship manager, but that Venkys are stalling because they fear him jumping ship to Celtic in the summer (this suggests to me there is money available but Venkys are actually being sensible by keeping one eye on possible future developments not wanting to gamble fortunes on a manager who might be off soon).

Now this afternoon he's saying Venkys are in major cutback mode and want to bring costs right down in the summer.

Not exactly consistent is he? Nixon has basically covered all bases over the last few weeks so that whatever happens in the summer he can say he was right.

I agree. Lambert/whoever the manager is come the summer, should be given around 6 to 8 million pounds transfer budget plus the wages.

players I would be targeting on free transfers are Steve Whittaker, Mulgrew, Graham

Players for fees are Mark Bunn from Villa for the keeper spot, Jacob Murphy winger from Norwich who is on loan at Coventry has scored 8 goals and Tom Bradshaw from Walsall who has scored 13 goals this season and 17 goals last season,

Maybe he was promised that kind of money when he took the job. It did seem a coup to get him as he still had good stock from taking Norwich from 3rd tier to Prem and keeping them there. And he did keep Villa up for a few years and we've seen since he's left the mess the club is in.

Just to summarise Nixon's reporting on the situation over the last 3 weeks.

First off he said that Lambert was going to be getting money in the summer, but not at the level he wanted or expected.

Then last weekend he said an approach had been made sounding out Nicola Cortese to come in as CEO.

Then last week he said that Venkys had decided there was no money to be spent, and are basically fed up with the whole thing, and that Lambert knows this but isn't letting on to supporters/media.

Then today he's saying that Lambert wants £20 million to spend in the summer, which is hardly a reasonable expectation for a Championship manager, but that Venkys are stalling because they fear him jumping ship to Celtic in the summer (this suggests to me there is money available but Venkys are actually being sensible by keeping one eye on possible future developments not wanting to gamble fortunes on a manager who might be off soon).

Now this afternoon he's saying Venkys are in major cutback mode and want to bring costs right down in the summer.

Not exactly consistent is he? Nixon has basically covered all bases over the last few weeks so that whatever happens in the summer he can say he was right.

who is telling Nixon who of this? is it Lambert himself or someone on the backroom staff or boardroom level?

who is telling Nixon who of this? is it Lambert himself or someone on the backroom staff or boardroom level?

There's only Cheston and Myers on the board who have any day to day involvement with the club/owners. Given the complete lack of communication and limited powers of the board i can't see either of them leaking information, probably because they themselves don't know what Venkys have planned.

The only person in a position of power/information who could be supplying Nixon with information is Paul Lambert, and I don't see how or why he would be telling Nixon stories such as he won't be getting any money and Venkys are fed up or that they are stalling because of potential Celtic interest. It doesnt strengthen his position in the slightest, all it does is stir up more speculation and rumours whilst the season is still ongoing.

It's his own imagination Chaddy. That's why you and Vinjay keep getting criticised for quoting him.

There's only Cheston and Myers on the board who have any day to day involvement with the club/owners. Given the complete lack of communication and limited powers of the board i can't see either of them leaking information, probably because they themselves don't know what Venkys have planned.

The only person in a position of power/information who could be supplying Nixon with information is Paul Lambert, and I don't see how or why he would be telling Nixon stories such as he won't be getting any money and Venkys are fed up or that they are stalling because of potential Celtic interest. It doesnt strengthen his position in the slightest, all it does is stir up more speculation and rumours whilst the season is still ongoing.

must be coming from someone tho. maybe Lambert is telling him to make his exit look like its all Venkys fault and he can walk with his reputation still intact

question is who next and will Pasha be in charge of choosing the next manager if he does walk away?

• Moderation Lead

Nixon just guesses and when doing so he hedges his bets so one way or another he will probably end up being right. Of course if you highlight this to him on Twitter you are blocked! The man is an absolute parasite who is an embarrassment to his field. If I never heard anything from him again I wouldn't be bothered. He's also got a chip on his shoulder the size of Darwen Tower regarding Rovers.

There could end up another stand off developing here which in itself is very damaging. He's backed himself into a corner and won't back down but probably won't resign as he'll want paying off. They won't want to pay him off but won't back him at all maybe now because they want him to walk. Paralysis again, we've seen this before and as usual the club suffers.

Works in Venkys favour again though because it gives them excuses not to spend.

Ridiculous stuff.

Archived