BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Graham is not going to hold up the ball for an entire HALF or hold in in the corner flag, he has to pass it to someone. Its a good tactic if you are past the 75-80 minute mark with 10 men and you wanted to waste time but it rarely works for an entire half. So I dont understand why hold up play is considered good when you are defending a lead and down to 10 men. As for defenders getting a breather, even with 11 men when they have all the time in the world to breathe, we have never set the pitch on fire and kept many clean sheets, so what are the chances that we will keep it with 10 men with midfielders pushing up. I fail to see the logic in that.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graham is not going to hold up the ball for an entire HALF or hold in in the corner flag, he has to pass it to someone. Its a good tactic if you are past the 75-80 minute mark with 10 men and you wanted to waste time but it rarely works for an entire half. So I dont understand why hold up play is considered good when you are defending a lead and down to 10 men. As for defenders getting a breather, even with 11 men when they have all the time in the world to breathe, we have never set the pitch on fire and kept many clean sheets, so what are the chances that we will keep it with 10 men with midfielders pushing up. I fail to see the logic in that.

I really think your issue is more with the players that Lambert was left with than his tactics. He can only do so much if his defense can't hold onto a lead on a match day. All teams lapse but our players individually are especially bad at making stupid mistakes when we're playing well.

If you don't keep one man up front you have no outlet. It's up to the other players to come out of their own half when the attacking player is holding the ball up.

But, we really shouldn't be going down to ten men so regularly. Individual's are letting the side down not the manager in my opinion. He needs to get rid of those individuals and replace them with players we can depend on.

With regards to cost, loathe as I am to say it, look at Burnley. Howe invested wisely before leaving and Dyche reaped the benefits of that and slowly they've built on that success keeping the nucleus of the side when a player leaves. It's not always about money, we should know that more than most after what we've spent on awful players thanks to the owners allowing Steve Kean and co to be totally wilful with the club's finances. If we lose Lambert I think Venky's will find it very difficult to get anywhere near promotion, to stay in this league and to attract a decent manager. It'll be total suicide to alienate the one person who could turn the club around and make the club and Venky's their money back.

Its swings and roundabouts really. If your lone striker tracks back to help the midfield, the midfield/defence don't have to work as hard on each attack. But if the lone striker is tracking back, he has no energy to hold the ball up or work the flanks. So the rest of the team has an easier time defending a particular attack, but they have to do it constantly, which ends up making it just as hard. The only difference I can see is that you have absolutely no chance of scoring if you use the striker tracking back approach.

Graham was short of match fitness when he arrived but he has worked as hard as anyone. During the boro game he was running on fumes chasing lost causes. Even the Preston game he still created a chance in the last minute after playing up front on his own for the previous 70 mins.

No point in the forward tracking back as well as it leaves you no out ball when under pressure.

As far as Lambert goes if he just had the Rhodes money to spend and was given free reign, the play offs would be a realistic target. (As long as we can keep 11 men on the pitch).

Conform...

Defiance...

Conform...

You must conform...

Defiance will not be tolerated...

Conform...

Comply...

You must respect authority...

You will comply...

Compliance...

Compliance is good...

Authority...

Defiance...

Conform

You must respect authority...

Comply...

Defiance will not be tolerated...

You must conform...

You WILL comply...

Welcome to Madame Desai's utopia

Not saying he should have to. But I wish he would go out there to meet them as it currently looks like this is only going to end one way - with Lambert and Venkys keeping their pride and us losing the last hope we have of turning our club around.

If it increases our chances of him getting the right answers I would love it if he went to them. Trouble is even Managers like Lambert are celebrities these days. Lambert must have been aware that the only two managers who lasted under Venkys were prepared to do the running around.

Can't millionaires skype????!!!!!

Where is the middle-man who got them to appoint Lambert in the first place?!

Can't agree on Graham being on the lazy side at all. Since he's been here he's been one of the hardest chasing players I've seen in a blue & white shirt for a long time. If they all put that kind of shift in we'd be doing better.

When a striker steams around like that he obviously has to take a breather now and again an he conserves his energy by ambling back. It's rarely as if we are pouring forwards all the time anyway. Plus the way he goes about it it's physically impossible to do that for 95 mins every single game, he is nearly 31.

Didn't see it the other night though but if he wasn't on it like usual perhaps he's beginning to lose a bit of interest ? Can't really blame him seeing as he wants his future sorting.

I have no idea what people are watching to conclude that he is lazy. He works his nads off.

The lazy one was sold for a princely sum.

Sam was asked to go to Pune when they first took over and he said no. Think that probably set the tone for what followed..

Now I'm a big fan a Lambert and I really hope he stays and he gets what he wants and the flowers bloom in the garden etc etc and in no way I'm I on Venks side but I do think he should keep his own counsel for the moment until something more solid is known.

As it not occurred to you that 'something more solid' might be known ? That might explain Myers' pending exit.

As it not occurred to you that 'something more solid' might be known ? That might explain Myers' pending exit.

Isn't it more likely that he was fed up being asked to do more and more as his colleague disappear and aren't replaced.

There probably is a plan but things move at glacial speed over in Pune for some reason. I imagine it's a bit like the deepest level of sleep in Inception where one day is equal to a month in Ewood's time zone.

Isn't it more likely that he was fed up being asked to do more and more as his colleague disappear and aren't replaced.

There probably is a plan but things move at glacial speed over in Pune for some reason. I imagine it's a bit like the deepest level of sleep in Inception where one day is equal to a month in Ewood's time zone.

Stuart

I don't think there is any plan and never has been. The budget is not forthcoming or certainly its nowhere near what Lambert was either promised or has requested or he would not be talking to the Press about it. As a new manager in a club you would be pretty much defending the owners but he hasn't tried to do that. He has been quite happy to let fans draw their own conclusions . Why is he saying he has to be true to his management team if really the budget is agree and the money is on its way.

I can see him chucking it this weekend, tbh. He aint the kind of guy who is going to plead with them or argue about it. He will be off.

Grim times around the corner . If we get mathematically safe I think it could all go off and I wouldn't be surprised if that's when Venkys announce they are calling it a day . Quite what that entails I cant contemplate.

• Moderation Lead

Nothing is set in stone, so nothing is certain. Whilst it looks like things may go a certain way owing to Venky probability (i.e how they've behaved before), then yeah, I see where people are going with that. BUT, if they're anything it's unpredictable!

K-Hod

Posted 5 minutes ago

Nothing is set in stone, so nothing is certain. Whilst it looks like things may go a certain way owing to Venky probability (i.e how they've behaved before), then yeah, I see where people are going with that. BUT, if they're anything it's unpredictable!

Is this the edge of our seat football we were promised I wonder.

This copy and paste is a pain, when are you going to fix my quote function :)

Stuart

I don't think there is any plan and never has been. The budget is not forthcoming or certainly its nowhere near what Lambert was either promised or has requested or he would not be talking to the Press about it. As a new manager in a club you would be pretty much defending the owners but he hasn't tried to do that. He has been quite happy to let fans draw their own conclusions . Why is he saying he has to be true to his management team if really the budget is agree and the money is on its way.

I can see him chucking it this weekend, tbh. He aint the kind of guy who is going to plead with them or argue about it. He will be off.

Grim times around the corner . If we get mathematically safe I think it could all go off and I wouldn't be surprised if that's when Venkys announce they are calling it a day . Quite what that entails I cant contemplate.

Maybe 'plan' was a bit strong. I think they do react to events but about two months later!

• Moderation Lead

K-Hod

Posted 5 minutes ago

Is this the edge of our seat football we were promised I wonder.

This copy and paste is a pain, when are you going to fix my quote function :)

Still looking at that!

Myers leaving and Lambert talking to the press,coupled with the sale of Rhodes,the prize asset plus Watt going back to Charlton suggests Venkys may be re-positioning themselves for a scaled-down operation.........Also many players out of contract so if they have had a meeting with Cortese they will be in no doubt as to the actual cost of varying options. A serious push at promotion would involve another large cash injection.

All suggests like they may view this as a business venture that is haemoraging,and only "losing face in India"preventing them from pulling the plug completely..........

Myers leaving and Lambert talking to the press,coupled with the sale of Rhodes,the prize asset plus Watt going back to Charlton suggests Venkys may be re-positioning themselves for a scaled-down operation.........Also many players out of contract so if they have had a meeting with Cortese they will be in no doubt as to the actual cost of varying options. A serious push at promotion would involve another large cash injection.

All suggests like they may view this as a business venture that is haemoraging,and only "losing face in India"preventing them from pulling the plug completely..........

He's obviously gone back due to the general terms of loan contracts. What sense does it make to keep him round when he's injured there's probably all sorts of insurance, liability stuff to be taken into account as well. Not to mention the wages which clearly Rovers are no longer responsible for.

Quite surprised that Charlton Athletic haven't complained about the circumstances of the injury. Or even questioned Watt on why he chose to start the game. Of course they don't exactly have the greatest ownership in the World themselves so it probably won't lead to any issues. People state they could clearly see Watt had a problem yet the medical team (who I recently declared as the only ones at the club who don't seem to have done anything wrong :rolleyes:) seemingly didn't and we don't know what Lambert saw or said. Surely someone must have reported it in the warmup but its not clear with all injuries what the severity is. With limited time before the match and Watt insisting he was fine (what a stupid decision) perhaps the medics went with instinct. After all Fevre has been around a number of years and presumably has faith in his judgement.

Since just about the only thing Venkys haven't replaced is the medical team we can't blame them for this. LT don't seem to have asked why Watt started the game (no major surprise there) under the circumstances

Nothing strange at all about Watt going back to his parent club early because of injury. It would be alarming if they sent the others back just to save a few quid though. Mind you I don't think Gomez would be short of a free lift or two...........

From Today Sun on Sunday

Blackburn are stalling on handling boss Paul Lambert a war chest for this summer.

The Rovers boss wants 20 million pounds for players but owners Venkys will not cough up as they fear Lambo could be possible target for old club Celtic

From Today Sun on Sunday

Blackburn are stalling on handling boss Paul Lambert a war chesf for this summer.

The Rovers boss wants 20 million pounds for players but owners Venkys will not cough up as they fear Lambo could be possible target for old club Celtic

What's the managerial situation up there ? I'm a bit out of touch with football in Jockland these days.

• Backroom

Jesus talk about hedging your bets.

So far that paper have venkys bringing in Cortese, being fed up and putting no money in now we are stalling because of Lambert.

No matter what happens the hacks will claim to be right until things changed

Archived