BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 2015/16

Mike E

I`m suprised the club are not selling tickets for the Oxford match until the end of the week. The game is a week Saturday. I don`t think they will go with the usual format of season tickets holders followed by away ticket holders followed by etc etc

I think it will be open sale or they just won`t have time to shift them. By the way 15% of Oxfords capacity is 1875 which is a nice number ;)

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I was one of them. Jimmy Quinn scored in a 1-0 win if I remember correctly. Both sides already knew that the winners were at home to Man United as well I think.

Aye it was Quinn ... Seem to remember Terry Gennoe saving a penalty that night as well. We had a few good tussles with Oxford at that time ... I remember going to the Manor Ground three times that season ... League Cup, League and FA Cup!

20006433419_f453ffc6f1_b.jpg

20193043795_57dcaa1257_b.jpg

Oxford are already selling home tickets for the game on their website. Home supporters are being charged £20 for an adult ticket in the North Stand, which is shared with away supporters so that ought to be what we are being charged.

Witnessed a great cup story tonight in Scotland. I work in East Kilbride and the local 'junior' side, which was only formed 5 years ago and plays on a park with one stand that holds 500 people, tonight got through to the last 16 of the Scottish FA Cup where they face Celtic at home. Home in this case will likely mean New Douglas Park at Hamilton, as there is no way the authorities will risk the Celtic hordes turning up en masse to the tiny K Park facility in East Kilbride. It is likely to net the club over 120,000 quid, which will keep them going for a long time. It is the equivalent of AFC Darwen playing Man United, except the Anchor' Ground's capacity is 3 or 4 times that of the K Park!

Should have said, that's from Glasgow. Priced a few different routes.

Rail travel in Britain is a rip off!

It is indeed mate. The only way you can make it worth while is if you book two or three months in advance (which of course you can't do with FA Cup matches).

I see the line to Carlisle isn't reopening until March now!! Bit of a pain, though the replacement bus service I got last Friday was good enough and only added half an hour onto my journey.

• Moderation Lead

God knows, the amount of cars I see around on the roads it seems to be like most take their cars! I rarely use public transport if I'm honest, never really have the need to.

It is indeed mate. The only way you can make it worth while is if you book two or three months in advance (which of course you can't do with FA Cup matches).

I see the line to Carlisle isn't reopening until March now!! Bit of a pain, though the replacement bus service I got last Friday was good enough and only added half an hour onto my journey.

Yes it's short notice, and do usually book well in advance. I have managed to get to London for £20 return, but that was a good few years ago. Generally though if your going to somewhere that isn't on the main routes it's expensive.

Either way, with the cost and lack of efficiency of rail travel, it's no wonder everyone drives everywhere!

It is expensive but you can get from Manchester or Preston to London in around 2 hours and 10 minutes. It is costing me £42 return for Saturdays game and takes all the frustrations out of travelling such as traffic jams, London driving etc. For the Rovers fans who travel regularly to the London games I don't understand why they don't use Virgin Trains.

• Moderation Lead

It is expensive but you can get from Manchester or Preston to London in around 2 hours and 10 minutes. It is costing me £42 return for Saturdays game and takes all the frustrations out of travelling such as traffic jams, London driving etc. For the Rovers fans who travel regularly to the London games I don't understand why they don't use Virgin Trains.

£42 return is a good price and that's incredibly quick, but unfortunately it isn't always priced like that!

For me it's £90 ish from clitheroe 4hrs 23 and 5h19 coming back. Not great but these are the sacrifices we make as fans. It's why I get so annoyed at the players when I see no effort going in when we go to through these minor hurdles.

Never been to the Kassam stadium so don't know whether its one of these new mcgrounds built on a retail park in the middle of nowhere a la Bolton, reading, etc but it's about 4 miles from the station. Not exactly a gentle walk over either. So probably drinks in town then taxi over.

£42 is a widely available price for Preston to Euston if you book in advance, especially on a Saturday. With a railcard (old blokes in my case) we go regularly for £58 return for any train outside the peak. In fact that's exactly what we will be doing tomorrow, back Saturday night.

I'll be there, not a long journey from Cardiff so will be £37 return with a railcard. Pretty pricey but there aren't any advance tickets, and not half as bad as people travelling from up North! What I would suggest though, is to look at trains from Preston/Manchester for most away games. Normally, they're significantly cheaper than from Blackburn.

That's what we do every time Rovers play in London.

Train from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston with a railcard is £42 which includes unlimited day travel around London. OK we also fork out for a taxi to get from Blackburn to Piccadilly and back, but its worth the extra £20 or so expense compared to driving when I think about the hassle of the M6, Birmingham, M1, M25, Blackwall Tunnel and parking near the ground.

Can't beat a couple of hours each way on Virgin Trains, a few cans on the way and then a few pub stops on the tube across London on the way to the Valley.

Having said all that for most other trips around the country rail travel is either too expensive or too difficult and not worth leaving the car at home for, which is a shame as I'd prefer to go everywhere by train, be able to relax and have a few drinks on the journey, but the state of rail services in 2016 make it virtually impossible to do.

Archived