BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 2015/16

Mike E

God that hurts. We could and should have won the FA Cup that year. We were going like a train. Two second division clubs ended up playing each other in the semis along with West Ham and Man Utd neither of which were playing well. What went wrong that day I'll never know. Going out then led to Fred Pickering being poached away from us, the break up of the strike force, and a season or two later, relegation.

I was playing that day and when our games were over we used to drop off the bus outside a TV rental shop to watch the scores come in on the old Teleprinter on " Grandstand ". They had TV's on in the window. When I saw that result come through I was absolutely sure they'd got the score the wrong way round.

The shock never went away ! I remember picking up the LET (no radio or internet in them days) and seeing the awful headlines. It was the equivalent then of Man City losing away to Hartlepool or similar - it just should not have happened. Ron Atkinson was captain of Oxford then I think.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shock never went away ! I remember picking up the LET (no radio or internet in them days) and seeing the awful headlines. It was the equivalent then of Man City losing away to Hartlepool or similar - it just should not have happened. Ron Atkinson was captain of Oxford then I think.

Ron Atkinson definitely played at right half for them. He was probably their captain, I'm not sure. Like you say it was inconceivable that we could lose to them, they'd only just joined the league and we were flying high and playing as well as I've ever seen us play !

Add that to the League Cup semi final defeat over TWO legs to Rochdale of the fourth division with second division Norwich to play over two legs in the final ! If ever a trophy was thrown away that was it . And that Workington home game.

Then people laugh when us old timers get nervous about games like the latest one at Newport.

Them were the days, Hargreaves's shop on Railway Road with a bag of chips from the Hake Boat and a copy of the Sports Pink, then a walk over to the Vulcan

Yeah we kicked off at 2-15 in amateur football then. Just time to wash the mud off your legs with that bucket of icy water, grab your clothes off of the old rusty nail hammered into the beam of the converted barn we got changed in. Dash back across four pitches full of slutch to the bus stop. Leap off the platform at the back as the bus was doing about 20 miles an hour outside the TV shop. Wait for the scores to come through about 4-50. - Oxford United 3 - Blackburn Rovers 1 . Whaaaaat !

Apart from that score what I wouldn't give to do it all over again.

Yeah we kicked off at 2-15 in amateur football then. Just time to wash the mud off your legs with that bucket of icy water, grab your clothes off of the old rusty nail hammered into the beam of the converted barn we got changed in. Dash back across four pitches full of slutch to the bus stop. Leap off the platform at the back as the bus was doing about 20 miles an hour outside the TV shop. Wait for the scores to come through about 4-50. - Oxford United 3 - Blackburn Rovers 1 . Whaaaaat !

We didn't have much money but we had a laugh!

and Hellman's embrocation

I went to Oxford for that game.

Everyone expecting the Rovers to flog them!!!!!

The pain of defeat was only partly offset by the two rather delicious ladies we met in the bar under the stand before the game.

My first experience of Rovers "live". I was ill in bed and listened to it live on the Radio. Oh dear....

Archived