BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup 2015/16

Mike E

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appleton is where he should be. The Rovers job was far too early for him, add in the absolute dysfunction at the club when he joined and there was no chance of him succeeding. Same with Berg. How either would have fared without Shebby/Shaw's infighting and most of the troublemakers paid off is anybody's guess, but there's no denying Appleton's style of football could very well have gotten us relegated that season.

It was the fu at the Club more than Appleton who was used as the scapegoat

Very enjoyable game and I didnt know Faz was still at it - he's older than me!

God that hurts. We could and should have won the FA Cup that year. We were going like a train. Two second division clubs ended up playing each other in the semis along with West Ham and Man Utd neither of which were playing well. What went wrong that day I'll never know. Going out then led to Fred Pickering being poached away from us, the break up of the strike force, and a season or two later, relegation.

I was playing that day and when our games were over we used to drop off the bus outside a TV rental shop to watch the scores come in on the old Teleprinter on " Grandstand ". They had TV's on in the window. When I saw that result come through I was absolutely sure they'd got the score the wrong way round.

God that hurts. We could and should have won the FA Cup that year. We were going like a train. Two second division clubs ended up playing each other in the semis along with West Ham and Man Utd neither of which were playing well. What went wrong that day I'll never know. Going out then led to Fred Pickering being poached away from us, the break up of the strike force, and a season or two later, relegation.

I was playing that day and when our games were over we used to drop off the bus outside a TV rental shop to watch the scores come in on the old Teleprinter on " Grandstand ". They had TV's on in the window. When I saw that result come through I was absolutely sure they'd got the score the wrong way round.

Them were the days, Hargreaves's shop on Railway Road with a bag of chips from the Hake Boat and a copy of the Sports Pink, then a walk over to the Vulcan

Spurs' penalty was never a penalty for me, despite what that moronic commentator and his Dingle mate might have said.

I actually turned it off when the co commentator referred to Jonathan Pearce as JP for the third time. There are far too many average ex professionals who are stealing a living with inane drivel or monosyllabic summaries.

Before my time but my dad views that Oxford game as the biggest upset we ever had because at the time we were top of 1st division they were div 3 or 4. We were due to play pne (2nd div) in quarters, then Swansea (2nd div) in semis and ultimately West Ham in the final. He went down to it hoping it would be an easy step to try and erase the memories of 1960.

He even put it above losing to Workington town 5-1 at Ewood in the league cup. And trelleborgs away as his top 3 biggest disappointments. All of which he's had the misfortune of seeing.

Archived