BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14206181.Blackburn_Rovers_to_net_windfall_if_Brentford_cash_in_on_Alan_Judge/?ref=mac

So Judge's sale was £350,000 + 15% sell-on. In hindsight one of Bowyer's main transfer blunders, but not as bad as I had assumed (in my head it was like £100k at most...). Another £1M+ in the coffers would help stabilise things!

At the time many people said it was one of Bowyer's transer blunders bringing him back to the club in the first place !

As you say, with hindsight we perhaps should have used him more, but he didn't fit into the team pattern at the time and we also appeared to have better players in the positions he could fill.

Having said all that - I am amazed that he is suddenly an £8m player.

I suppose I'd be right in thinking this isn't one of the 'big hitters' Lambert was speaking about.

Not inspiring but on a short term deal it could be argued its okay. One winning goal could justify the signing I suppose.

I'm indifferent to this really. I'd feel very differently if this signing was made in the summer.

At the time many people said it was one of Bowyer's transer blunders bringing him back to the club in the first place !

As you say, with hindsight we perhaps should have used him more, but he didn't fit into the team pattern at the time and we also appeared to have better players in the positions he could fill.

the fees being banded about now for semi decent championship figures is mind boggling.

I can't complain too much about this signing, he is way better than what we have, and he has pace on him so it can only be positive. Short Term deal so it has a minimal risk, and we have everything to gain from it.

Key thing now is to get Graham in and have either Jackson, or Graham playing besides Rhodes.

I heard a whisper that he was also sold over Bowyer's head. Still happy for him to go now, so we can get the sell on fee.

I can't complain too much about this signing, he is way better than what we have, and he has pace on him so it can only be positive. Short Term deal so it has a minimal risk, and we have everything to gain from it.

Key thing now is to get Graham in and have either Jackson, or Graham playing besides Rhodes.

I think Lambert is preparing the ground for Rhodes departure. We are weak in other areas of the team but potentially bought two strikers.

Interestingly there are still some amazing free transfers out there, I don't know if they are at all realistic but a few names that stick out for me at:

Kevin Constant Left Back

Niko Kranjkcar

Carl Medjani DM Captain of Algeria

Andy Wilkinson RB

Just a few additional names that I thought were worth mentioning.

Celtic are willing to let troubled Anthony Stokes out on loan until the end of the season. Apparently he's knocked back Hibs, Dundee Utd and Inverness in the hope of a move to the Championship. He has Champions League experience, has an excellent goal scoring record for Celtic, has also played at Championship level and I would have thought he would be a better bet than Jackson.

Oh well, like all new recruits Jackson should be welcomed and backed.

It certainly seems one of Bowyer's blunders was selling him for about 4% of his value! Any other manager would have been pilliored on here for this.

If Judge has come on in such vast leaps and bounds since we sold him just a few months ago, it doesn't say much for the coaching side of things either. Maybe if he'd been played more often the improvement would have occurred here?

• Moderation Lead

Must admit, on the face of it, I'm not overly impressed with the signing of Jackson, but he gets a clean slate from me.

We are looking so poor up top at the minute, as others have said, it won't take much to make us look much better! It's only a short term deal in any event, so if he's actually guff then we can cut him loose at the end of the season....

Interesting post Whatdial - for what it is worth, I think you will come close but probably fail in the playoffs this year. I'm glad you are having a resurgence though because you lot have gone through a similar fall from grace yourselves.

Think back (if you are old enough) to when you had David Hirst, Sheridan, Palmer, Warhurst, Trevor Francis, Chris Woods, Pearson etc, then compare them with some of the dross you will have seen over the last 10 years. It takes some getting accustomed to.

We have had 5 seasons of constant decline and dismantling of what was a Premier League squad and club. We have seen some very good players depart, not to mention watching the likes of Bellamy, Benni Mccarthy, Tugay etc not so long ago. It is hard not to consider players that we could have easily signed 3 years ago.

We presently have a squad of mainly spineless individuals, with little ability and even less affinity for our club. These were assembled by 'rookie managers trying to follow a mandate of buying players to make a profit

Our 'means' are very poor. We would really struggle to compete in this league now, without the 20 million or so each year that the owners are covering.

Our pulling power has gone. An average player, given the choice of Rovers or Wednesday would no doubt choose you at this present time.

So how do we address this imbalance? We do what we did years ago - appoint a decent manager and then throw some money at it. After all, its how we won the Premier league! Players these days won't come to a Rovers or a Wednesday because of who we are - it will be because of the wage/deal on the table. We need some quality to get us back up there and that costs. The manager has indicated that this summer will be a 'massive' window for us - whether the club/owners deliver on that is another matter.

Great post. I know how your feeling having supported the Owls since the mid 80s. My whole family are rovers fans and I got dragged to ewood in the 90s with my dad and brothers, but I was always an Owl. It was great seeing the football at ewood then. I was always in the away end when we played with my worst day being the 7-2 battering. Going to school in haslingden wasn't fun then.

Has Simeon Jackson signed? He isn't a bad player, but more of a squad filler and league one striker. Lambert might get the best out of him again.

I think both of the players brought in main attribute is that the manager has worked with them before and knows their strengths. Looks like he's playing it safe knowing that he has his own people on board who will work for him, at least for now.

I think and hope the Summer will be a different story and we bring in some players to compete for the top six.

Celtic are willing to let troubled Anthony Stokes out on loan until the end of the season. Apparently he's knocked back Hibs, Dundee Utd and Inverness in the hope of a move to the Championship. He has Champions League experience, has an excellent goal scoring record for Celtic, has also played at Championship level and I would have thought he would be a better bet than Jackson.

Oh well, like all new recruits Jackson should be welcomed and backed.

I wouldn't want to go there until his court case is sorted, on the pitch he would be a good addition but his off the pitch antics make him a big no for me

well here's the first one, Simoen been at Ewood for over two weeks working with his fitness and prove himself and the manager knows him so a sensible signing and now he has both him and Bennett to help the others. the guy have pace.

Something went wrong when he moved to Germany if you looked at stats.

But the guy has played in Bundesliga and two seasons in Premier League 45 games, scoring 8 goals.

2011–12 Premier League 22 3 3 2 1 0 0 0 26 5 2012–13 Premier League 13 1 2 1 4 1 0 0 19 3 2004–2008 Rushden & Diamonds 88 (40) 2005Raunds Town (loan) 2008–2010 Gillingham 101 (35) 2010–2013 Norwich City 73 (17) 2013–2014 Eintracht Braunschweig 9 (0) 2014 Millwall 14 (2) 2014–2015 Coventry City 28 (3) 2015–2016 Barnsley 9

(0)

a short term deal is ideal as Jackson has to prove himself.

Nico Kranjar any day!

I have no problem with this signing, as it seems he is just signed to cover for the injured strikers that we have.

We don't need cover, we need players who will improve the first team.

And this lad is ex-Norwich. Does Lambert's contacts book extend any further ?

He's scored goals in this league before, has a bit of pace, is still a decent age, and he's only on a short term deal. Not an exciting one but one that has the potential to surprise. I imagine Danny Graham will be the big striker signing.

Have a feeling we'll not spend much until the summer, we don't want to end up going into an embargo again. After this window the FFP rules loosen dramatically.

Danny Graham, Jackson, and Bennett are probably all better than what we have at the moment - hardly exciting signings though.

Archived