BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attack ..attack ..attack Attack Attack!

BlooBoy

• Backroom

My own view on it is that the football IS tripe and PL DOES talk a good game.

But I wouldn't expect the immediate results that you seem to. I would expect the 'fast exciting football' to come when he's allowed to get in the personnel to play that way. At the very least I'll be waiting til we've had a pre-season (and therefore 2 windows) before writing him off.

However dire the football may be at the moment, it has proven more effect in less than half the time that the previous manager had this season. 'Slight improvement thus far' is my judgement, provided we can change our attacking mentality of 'run and hope something happens'.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

He spent net of £45m over the three years if that Forum is right. He was also the 1st manager to finish outside the top ten in two consecutive season in their prem history. Of course that forum may be just as one-eyed as this one but it certainly doesn't look like many of them thought he did a good job.

You're seeing his legacy now.

Aye, the legacy that Sherwood and Garde improved upon you mean ;-)

Anyway, the biggest hypocrisy of this whole thing, he's been here 10 games, let's give him some time eh? Rome wasn't built in a day. He's still managed as many wins already as Bowyer had all season so he's doing something right, and that's with the same players.

The Burnley match and a few others were fantastic. We gave it a "right good go". Bowyer had to be sacked because I'm sure we would have gone down under him but we have to be honest here, the stuff served up under Lambert so far has been dire.

But hes stuck with GBs players who were according to you was going to take us down? Surely he must be given time to address that.

To turn a team around from a team you thought was going to be relegated into some Promotion winning team in seven games aint happening.

I said when he was appointed we may have to go backwards to go forwards, there was a mentality with GBs teams that simply didnt produce exciting winning football.Thats something that will take time to change just in itself.

• Backroom

He spent net of £45m over the three years if that Forum is right. He was also the 1st manager to finish outside the top ten in two consecutive season in their prem history. Of course that forum may be just as one-eyed as this one but it certainly doesn't look like many of them thought he did a good job.

I think you're seeing Lerner's legacy, rather than Lambert's. That'd be like saying you're seeing Bowyer's legacy now, rather than Venky's.

£45m over three seasons is £15m a season... Bournemouth paid £9m for Tyrone Mings alone. It's a pretty small amount for the modern day PL.

My own view on it is that the football IS tripe and PL DOES talk a good game.

But I wouldn't expect the immediate results that you seem to. I would expect the 'fast exciting football' to come when he's allowed to get in the personnel to play that way. At the very least I'll be waiting til we've had a pre-season (and therefore 2 windows) before writing him off.

However dire the football may be at the moment, it has proven more effect in less than half the time that the previous manager had this season. 'Slight improvement thus far' is my judgement, provided we can change our attacking mentality of 'run and hope something happens'.

A sensible reply. I'm not writing him off i'm just concerned that we've picked a dud when we really had to get it right. I may be incredibly premature (matron) in my rush to judge him but something doesn't sit right with him. If he hadn't gobbed off i don't think i'd be bothered but you have to question a man that goes in to two clubs and has a dig at the previous managers, especially when those managers didn't get the teams relegated and did a reasonable job. If he was secure in his own abilities he wouldn't feel the need to. Never trust a manger who comes in and tells the fans what they want to hear. The 'not accepting mediocrity' line was also used by him and Lerner when he took over at Villa.

Then there's the football...

If he turns us into the Norwich that got back-to-back promotions at Norwich then fantastic. I'll get 'I Love Lambo' tattoed on my arse. :xmas: I'm not afraid to be wrong. I thought Appleton would do really well for us, what a load of shyte that preciction turned out to be. Thing is if nobody has any opinions this MB will die on it's arse, because quite a posters contribute nothing to the football threads and just snipe at people who do.

You see I don't think there was a dig at the previous manager, if that was the case, why would he have praised Bowyer so much?

That's my take on it too. If anything, he was warning the players that he wouldn't accept mediocrity. He specifically said what a good job he thought GB had done.

it's a little like Bowyer for us. look at the league positions that Bowyer had 9th and 8th and it doesn't seem impressive. however we know what he had to deal with.

at Villa Lerner cut off the money supply to the club. 45 million over 3 years is not a lot of money to be spent on a pl team, take out 32 million for Benteke (who he bought) and thats peanuts for keeping a team up. He was tasked with cutting the high earners out of the team and buying young, cheap players. Despite this he did what he was tasked to do-keep Villa in the league. Now look at the job he did at Norwich- hugely impressive.

I have been to many a Villa game over the last 5 years and have many mates who are Villa fans. they didn't like the style of his football but appreciate the results more now!

No he isn't.

He's just pointing out Lambert's record at Villa and how he was seen by their fans.

Lambert promised us "edge of seat" attacking football. What do you think of it so far ?

Have you read this thread at all Jim? He's posting like he's got verbal diarreah(can never spell that word.)

He Is obsessed.

You see I don't think there was a dig at the previous manager, if that was the case, why would he have praised Bowyer so much?

Personally I think 'mediocre-gate' needed to happen.

We could all see that the prime objective of our squad was to preserve points, not win matches.

If Lambert's target is promotion then he must change that mentality. It looked like he had got under their skin in the first five matches. Maybe that's worn off. If it has then we will need to change the personnel in January.

He has talked recently about needing to bring in players to 'help the first team'. He knows he can't replace all of them. But that will automatically split the group - necessarily so in my view - into some factions:

- Those who believe they are first-teamers who agree that they need help

- Those who receive this as fair criticism and will roll up their sleeves

- Those who see this as the writing on the wall and will look for a way out - or maybe an 'injury'- or maybe just sulk and try to bring others down

- Those who aren't sure where they fit - and are likely to cause the most unrest (and who need dealing with pronto - either reassurance or being told where they stand)

Whatever happens, easy street is over and Lambert will get a reaction one way or another. The fallout of that reaction will be where he can start to rebuild.

It is possible to translate Lambert's early interviews differently I can accept that.

However, labelling him a 'dick', 'gobshyte' and 'tit' so soon into his tenure suggests a level of dislike that appears quite irrational.

That's my take on it too. Personally I thought the mediocrity and embargo comments were a bit unnecessary so early on, before he'd had time to properly assess the situation throughout the club. While accurate, they implied a quick diagnosis, so to comment on the absence of a quick cure is fair if done reasonably. I think he said, "An embargo isn't why you lose on a Saturday." but we haven't heard why he thinks we were so abysmal at Bolton.

I think in any new job, when you publicly call something out as crap early on, you'd better come through quick with a visible improvement. I don't recall Dalgliesh saying anything at all negative about what he inherited, when it must have been the mother of all culture shocks to him.

Nope. But maybe a bit of due diligence might have been appropriate when they decided on his replacement. If they made the decision based on what he did at one club a few years ago and ignored his tenure at Villa then they may be in for a shock.

I was excited when Lambert turned up. The club needed a new direction. The quality of football since he turned up have changed my mind on him. Turning up talking of 'fast, attacking football' and not 'accepting mediocrity' is well and good when you can back it up. Interestingly, when he turned up at Villa he also slagged the previous manager (Big 'Eck) off for his boring football and then turned Villa into the dullest team in the Prem. As this is a forum about the club Lambert now manages i thought i would be allowed to say that i don't think he's as good as he proclaims without being told to 'jog on' etc. I just don't think Lambert's all that to be honest, that is my judgement after 7 games. I'll be delighted if he is, but he should just get his head down and work for the benefit of BRFC. He can gob off when he's actually achieved something. What we're seeing now on the pitch is what he churned up at Villa for 3 years. It might improve, it might not, but if it doesn't we're in deep doo-dah and he'll just swan off to his next job.

This may come as a shock to you but my opinion on Lambert is exactly the same as other Rovers fans. Mine might be a little more forceful but the general theme is the same. Read the article in the telewag today. Read other forums. Speak to the Rovers fans i do, people who have been watching Rovers for 50 years. The general consensus is that he talks a good game but the football he is paid to produce is utter tripe. Of course, there are others who think the sun shines out of Lambert's arse and believe he will come good because he did well at Norwich. I have no problem with that. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and that's all mine is. I certainly wouldn't accuse them of 'losing it'. Each to their own.

It's all fine sharing opinions etc, yours is as welcome as the next man's. Mine is I think it borders on insane that you can be so venomous about a chap who has equalled the last guy's win total in a third of the games given and has done so without bringing a single player into the team. I can't understand how you can even begin to justify what you are saying over and over - because it is way too soon and way too crackers to be honest with you.

The football is dire so far, but thank God he led us to quickfire victories, otherwise we would be in the bottom three. The barmiest part of all of your posts is that common sense surely says to give the guy the opportunity to bring in his own players to play in the style he wants, it's obvious very few of the current bottlers aren't stepping up - but you are kicking off after mere weeks of him turning up. It is very odd and you do seem to be on a bit of a crusade at the moment.

That's my take on it too. Personally I thought the mediocrity and embargo comments were a bit unnecessary so early on, before he'd had time to properly assess the situation throughout the club. While accurate, they implied a quick diagnosis, so to comment on the absence of a quick cure is fair if done reasonably. I think he said, "An embargo isn't why you lose on a Saturday." but we haven't heard why he thinks we were so abysmal at Bolton.

I think in any new job, when you publicly call something out as crap early on, you'd better come through quick with a visible improvement. I don't recall Dalgliesh saying anything at all negative about what he inherited, when it must have been the mother of all culture shocks to him.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14170599.Paul_Lambert__Blackburn_Rovers__not_good_enough__in_Bolton_defeat/

Whether you agree with his assessment or not is a different story but we do know why he thinks were we so abysmal at Bolton.

Personally, I took his comments as reassuring. Maybe his advisors have been reading the fan messageboards and believe that this would help to engage the fans. It will to some (it was music to my ears that he had spotted the acceptance of mediocrity problem) but there were (and still) are a lot of people around who put a lot of faith in Bowyer. Some kind of sentimental view that he would grow the club as a local club for local people. Certainly they were trying to engage grassroots much more than previously.

The issue, and maybe the split in fans, was that some people want us to stay in business as a league club (which requires short term promotion) while others were happy for the club to be relegated, or worse, if it meant that it was being brought closer to the fans. Maybe more kids and parents than previously were being asked to come to the academy and this raised people's hopes. But for me it's a really difficult one. Trying to change the emphasis from foreign imports (with better youth education and investment) to 'grow your own' local talent is very difficult if you are doing it on your own (without the rest of English football). Believe me, nothing would give me greater pleasure than having all clubs forced to bring through players born within a radius of their home town/city but football isn't in that place yet. We need short term success or we could be in for a Bolton-type issue sooner rather than later.

Someone had got into Lamberts ear right at the beginning about the perceived mediocrity and the FFP excuses - which is good. He SHOULD know what the fans were thinking - and what the fans were thinking was a major reason for Bowyers sacking IMO. Wonder who briefed him - someone from the LT, the Indian reps over here at the time, Shaw or the owners themselves?

It is possible to translate Lambert's early interviews differently I can accept that.

However, labelling him a 'dick', 'gobshyte' and 'tit' so soon into his tenure suggests a level of dislike that appears quite irrational.

Yes, a poor choice of words generally and i apologise. The reasons for them still stand though. Lamberts comments, althought defended on here, were unprofessional and cowardly. He knew exactly what he was saying. He used the same MO at Villa. Very odd and irrational behaviour.

The football was guff under Gary Bowyer bar our purple patch of passy passy football with no end result earlier this season. Bowyer's win % was worse than Lambert's and the football I remember from the last few years was just as bad, if not worse due to the lack of results (which is what matters to me).

Let Lambert bring in his own men before getting on his back. Lambert had a choice of Guthrie, Akpan and Williamson for our CM position last couple of games. How is he supposed to muster up pretty football with such dross to choose from in key positions?

Yes, a poor choice of words generally and i apologise. The reasons for them still stand though. Lamberts comments, althought defended on here, were unprofessional and cowardly. He knew exactly what he was saying. He used the same MO at Villa. Very odd and irrational behaviour.

It really isn't. It is media training. They all say very similar things when they take new jobs.

His only direct reference to Gary Bowyer was to praise him for the job that he had done.

Thats an interesting analogy EIT, because while I recall KMD praised Don Mackay, he also made some other comments about the club and the players having to step up to the plate and match Uncle Jack's (and his own) ambitions, which weren't to be lower end of the second division. Those remarks weren't that far removed from Paul Lambert's refusal to accept mediocrity, and in the context of blueboy3333's constant, and baffling, attacks on Lambert, quite a useful touchstone as to what new managers tend to say when they come into clubs. They have to try and motivate an immediate improvement somehow. (I did try to find the actual quote/interview but failed)

It's all fine sharing opinions etc, yours is as welcome as the next man's. Mine is I think it borders on insane that you can be so venomous about a chap who has equalled the last guy's win total in a third of the games given and has done so without bringing a single player into the team. I can't understand how you can even begin to justify what you are saying over and over - because it is way too soon and way too crackers to be honest with you.

The football is dire so far, but thank God he led us to quickfire victories, otherwise we would be in the bottom three. The barmiest part of all of your posts is that common sense surely says to give the guy the opportunity to bring in his own players to play in the style he wants, it's obvious very few of the current bottlers aren't stepping up - but you are kicking off after mere weeks of him turning up. It is very odd and you do seem to be on a bit of a crusade at the moment.

You've fallen into the trap of making it personal. I'm not on a crusade, i'm merely stating my opinion, which you acknowledge and then go on to ignore straight away after your first sentence. I've clearly stated the reasons why I hold that opinion. The Bolton game has sincerely @#/? me off. I don't like the cut of his jib and i don't like the football he plays. Basing my current opinion on him on who he might bring in in the future would be very difficult. I'll let you know then. But at the moment he is getting very little out of the players he's got which is what every manager worth his salt is based on. Do you really think his 'style of play' is going to change that much given the limited resources the club has? Will it suddenly turn him into a manager with a tactical plan, a manager who has any idea how to be a potent attacking force? A manager who can get his team to string a few passes together and create chances? My opinion is based on what i've seen, nothing more, not what he may do with a couple of new players in January.

Venomous? Insane? Don't be a drama queen. I only posted on this thread cos Blooboy got a bit cocky, and i did it in a light-hearted way, hence the smiley. Since then i've just responded to the usual personal nonsense that you've just continued.

1. It's not unprofessional - there's no name calling, specific slating of people, poor language or anything divulged that shouldn't be.

2. One of the fans key complaints was the seeming mediocrity that Bowyer was pushing. The interviews all gave that gist, as did only going for it when we were behind, and several player interviews - against Yeovil being happy against a point being one specific example.

3. FFP was being used as an excuse. Plain and simple. There was no reason for it to be brought up as often as it was for any other reason than for it to be an excuse. Sure GB might've been interviewed on it/asked about it but not every interview, and it was mentioned in practically every one - in other words it was being used as an excuse, And that's before we check out specific comments that he made on the topic which make it clearer.

4. Bowyer was far from a paragon of virtue - having a go at the fans on numerous occasions, the nadir of which was the "under their stones" comment from the Burnley game. No way was that aimed at anyone other than the fans.

All in all, I can't see how it can be cowardly and bad form from Lambert, or how Bowyer is such a hard done to and lovely chap. Don't think either is true, and think that you have to work hard and skew the facts and do some dodgy interpretation to hold such a view. No idea as I don't know you, but it seems like you've a personal investment in this...

Blueboy seems to be either just going against the common opinion just for the debating, wether he means it or not. OR, getting in a Gordonesque critique now, so that he can get in his "I told you so's" if it goes wrong. But with enough "I hope he does wells" that if it doesn't, no one can pull him up and say I told you so back. Either way, it has been quite entertaining and has been fun to point out the facts that show he's talking nonsense (which, when confronted with such a post he always, without fail, conveniently ignores and doesn't reply to).

You can give it a rest now, until the next PL loss, and celebrate the New Year with our club going into a new and potentially exciting period with renewed optimism and maybe actually being involved on deadline day! :D

Archived