BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes To Boro

Tom

Yep. I remember how desolate we all were when Gordon Lee came in and we sold Tony Field.

In the following close season Lee fashioned what turned out to be a title winning team.

It is my only hope, but I don't need reminding of the crucial difference between Bancroft, Keighley, Fox et al and Abbey's favourite owners!

Thinking about it, we also improved after selling Andy Crawford and Speedie - it's what you do with the money, as has already been said.

Time for Lambert to stop slagging off departing players and improve the team.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding that statement wonder if its "reluctant" on Lambert's part or the owners part? Or simply an attempt to appease angry fans?

As for next week maybe there will be a clause blocking that.

It's Rhodes' choice but let's be honest, it hasn't been working and Lambert isn't a fool. Nevertheless, he is a fantastic finisher and I wish him well.

We have to hit the ground running from the first game of next season and develop the team this. No hard feelings to the lad, I wish him well but we've been lucky and had much better strikers than him and we will have better again in the future. I personally doubt he'll be anything special in the Premier League, but like any player, he's got to give it a try.

I was devastated, when Shearer left. I was gutted when Sutton and Speedie left. I thought it was the end of the world when Tony Field left. I will be slightly disappointed if Rhodes leaves. These are not grades of the players abilities, but just my personal feelings.

Absolutely my feeling as well. Rhodes has contributed goals but little else whereas all of the players you have named provided assists as well as goals

But does it change the game for the better

Rhodes has needed help for three years. It finally looks like he might get it and he's off. :(

I agree. That is the irony. The only reason I am hoping for something positive is that for once V's haven't appointed a cheap, rookie manager, who is so grateful to be over promoted that he is happy to collude with all sorts of crap...

Wouldn't surprise me if it's already been spent.

But Mani told us they had money to spend then they go and do this........

Maybe there's deals lined up, that need a sale on our end to go through without dropping us back in an embargo? Or, like you say, we needed a sale to pay for the deals already done, again so we dont go back into the embargo.

Hopefully, it's the former and they include a RB, LB, CM and striker. But there's a lot of straws being clutched at the minute.

What is so @#/? hard to understand?

If we spend money without selling in this window we go into embargo for another 12 months. A year of more free signings on 10k per week.

If we spend very little we can afford to spend in summer.

Understand that, or at this very testing time for Rovers fans I will not hesitate to ban you (only til I've calmed down) for being a smartarse.

YOU WILL BAN HIM ? REALLY?

For me it's the right decision at the wrong time. Our position in the league is still perilous and Rhodes's goals have pulled us out of this kind of sh1te before.

However, long term, it's a correct decision. That amount of money for a striker with many deficiencies is a no brainer and with every ineffective performance his value was dropping. No doubt he'll be part of a promoted side now but I'll be astounded if he makes it at Prem level.

Also, Lambert has got huge cojones with this decision. Fair play to him for having the courage to go with it.

Donis was signed first coincidentally just mentioned him in the "where are they now" thread.

If Rhodes wants to go to a smaller club and thinks Middlesbrough are suddenly height of ambition says a lot about him.

smaller club ? debatable ? proper owners proper set up going places once more...only place we'll end up is league one speaking to a Villa fan earlier Lamberts nickname was Shambert

I was devastated, when Shearer left. I was gutted when Sutton and Speedie left. I thought it was the end of the world when Tony Field left. I will be slightly disappointed if Rhodes leaves. These are not grades of the players abilities, but just my personal feelings.

Wow...maybe its your age when it happens. My own hierarchy of grief is

1 Tony Field

2 = Shearer/Speedie

I agree. That is the irony. The only reason I am hoping for something positive is that for once V's haven't appointed a cheap, rookie manager, who is so grateful to be over promoted that he is happy to collude with all sorts of crap...

I'm utterly, and somewhat pathetically, clinging to that rationale... between sobs.

Tough one this. Will be sad to see him leave, but genuinely feel the whole team needs a cleanse in every position. Got to trust lambert on tbis one.

Have felt no passion towards any rovers players for a long time. With this money coming in and wage off the books, perhaps we can truly start again. Get through the season, invest in hungry youth, and finally have a team to be proud of.

Another tragic figure...ended up at bloody Charlton, when he was such a fine footballer. None of my Irish in laws remember him either....Can you have a Paddy come Lately?

Wonderful player for the Rovers though

Archived