BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes To Boro

Tom

It's no good. I've tried to be restrained and sensible but actually I'm furious. Not that Rhodes is going. We always knew he would. It's the timing. Preferably weeks ago if it was going to happen, but if not the night before a cup match stinks. Why not earlier this week? Then we might have had a chance. We could potentially have got someone in to score us a goal or 2. As it is I think Oxford will tear us apart and I fear relegation might follow unless we spend money we don't really have now and get in several players. I hope it all works out but I don't see it, I really, really dont

Understand where you're coming from gumboots but this could actually have the opposite effect in respect of the Oxford game. If some supporters have questioned what Rhodes' all round contribution is to the cause when he isn't scoring, you can bet your bottom dollar that some of his team mates will share similar sentiments. And that's without factoring in the fact he was by a mile the highest paid player in the club, which will always create resentment at the best of times. We could see a carefree performance on the pitch tomorrow that we haven't seen in a while.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could, but somehow I don't think so. But then I'm always the pessimist. And Boro were the team I grew up following so all my family are Boro fans. Won't they love to rub it in if he scores the goals for them that he used to score for us. I honestly don't think lambert will get money to spend and boy, do we need to spend now. We have looked even worse this season than last in the admittedly few games I've seen so far and I'm just not clear where we're supposed to produce goals from if Boro are so desperate for them that they need our non-firing goalscorer

Again we sell our main man towards the end of a transfer window. Cue the' blame lack of time to find a suitable replacement' and 'we tried really hard' excuses before stashing the money away.

I don't have a problem with Rhodes leaving, but I do have a problem with him leaving now. Fingers crossed I'm wrong and Lambert has an ace up his sleeve. Waiting until the summer to spend the money makes absolutely no sense.

So a 40 odd goal strikeforce sold within 6 months and who to show for it? 2 players who could probably get 15 goals a season between them (watt and Graham), farce, Lambert needs to really push the net out far and wide, start with Germany to earn his money, sod the summer, venkys will probably have banked the money by then to spend a new swimming pool and sauna

Speedie

Yeah, because we'll obviously be buying the next Alan Shearer this time round.

RIP Blackburn Rovers Football Club. I believe this is a colossal mistake by Lambert and wonder if the owners have finally thrown in the towel and this is the final nail in our coffin. We have nearly always suffered in the past after selling a star player in the short to medium term and we have very little wiggle room to work with this season. Watt and Graham to replace Rhodes? It's an absolute joke imo.

You have to give Lambert the benefit of the doubt until he's bought his own players in, however I won't be cutting him much slack after this as on the face of it he's flogged our one worthwhile asset and brought in a load more dross.

You also have to wonder about the long term strategy of the owners. What was the point in going to the trouble of hiring an experienced manager with largely decent track record if you were just going to carry on signing yet more rubbish and sell our only worthwhile asset? Could have stuck with GB to do that.

Just hope that Watt and Graham can produce a little bit more than Lawrence and Rhodes partnership.

I see us maybe bringing in a few loans before Monday night, a left back and a centre mid.

No need to spash the cash now.

Lambert should start planning for the summer now. With a 10m warchest and decent wage budget, get some young players into the squad, like Tomlinson, Nyambe and Lenihan. Ship out the crap.

I am confident we will have a better squad this coming August.

In theory, if we can invest a few million around the squad - this might not be a complete disaster.

For example, 5 mil to spend on players + 1/2 of the wage we'd be saving could add quality to a few positions to strengthen overall.

It all comes down to how good the scouting, choices etc turn out in that case. A few shouts; Jay Simpson seems to be in his prime after a few years abroad - albeit at Leyton Orient, Tom Bradshaw has been mentioned.

Steven Fletcher is out of contract in the summer, has Paddy Bamford been playing this season much? Also Bournemouth have spent a few quid and a few of their attacking players like Rantie or Arter might be a shout.

We certainly need a replacement, I'd fear the worst if we have to wait till summer!

Tony Watt though? Don't forget about Tony Watt.

That makes things better, right?

first of all. Sorry for messing up quoting his post -android & beer issues.

secondly, posters on here know i normally adhere to all the rules. So Tom etc, I apologise noW.

PNEJAZZ with the utmost respect, do me a favour & @#/? off!!! We're in mourning here!

What's the problem, will they not let u play with the big boys on nobbers.com!

I've not read through all the thread, so not sure if I'm in the minority here, but

I'm absolutely heartbroken at the thought of losing Rhodes

The one player in our squad with a genuine bit of class, a genuine goalscorer that other teams are afraid of and by all accounts a great pro.

I always thought he would be the guy to fire us back to the PL, but alas, twas not to be

On a side note Bowyer should have got us up last year. No excuse with the squad and in particular the strike force we had.

Rhodes is a class goal scorer. However clearly does not fit into the system that Lambert wants to use.

I've always said, keep him if you are going to use him properly. If not sell him.

13 million in total would surpass any fee paid for a championship striker.

Good luck Jordan. Thank you for giving me a little bit of happiness in a very rocky period in our history.

Rhodes has wanted out for years, now hes got his wish, thanks for the goals and good luck, but if he thinks Middlesbrough's as big step up then phhh...

Hopefully we'll stay up this season without to much trouble and then next season after Lambert has had a full proper pre-season and summer transfer window under him we will wipe the floor with this keany league once and for all.

Premier league is a big step up ..Poss L1 or prem next year ... Which do you prefer?

I've not read through all the thread, so not sure if I'm in the minority here, but

I'm absolutely heartbroken at the thought of losing Rhodes

The one player in our squad with a genuine bit of class, a genuine goalscorer that other teams are afraid of and by all accounts a great pro.

I always thought he would be the guy to fire us back to the PL, but alas, twas not to be

On a side note Bowyer should have got us up last year. No excuse with the squad and in particular the strike force we had.

You do know that he's a useless lazy lump ;) .. Ask the haters on here who have constantly slagged snd slated him but when pulled up about it they say they like him .

At least my Venky hate is consistent and unwaivered . Take for example one of the posters who has for months gone on about selling him and then goes on about there is no hate.

Seeds have now been sowed for a fight to go down .

The haters wishes have come true... We are getting rid of proven goals and now have a powderpuff bunch of non scoring strikers ...hail hail brown our saviour , more red cards for rovers than goals.

Had to come eventually I guess, really sad but hey ho onwards and upwards, Rhodes has been on a lean spell since PL arrived and before tbf (2 goals in 16 games prior to the last 2), just don't think he fit in with the system we played, wanted a move and didn't react to PLs requests. Funny how he started scoring again as the window came to a close.

We may end up regretting this, but I don't blame PL for this, if he could not get a player to get the ball to Rhodes feet in dangerous positions then cashing in now may be the best idea. You almost have to build a team around Rhodes, after all does not have the pace to run onto balls played behind the defense, not great with crosses, not the hardest working, not the best/strongest when it comes to holding the ball up, not the most creative (averages one assist in 10 games), not to good with his back to the goal but he is one of the best finishers going if the ball lands at his feet in or around the penalty area.

Archived