SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes To Boro

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

As much as you won't find a better goalscorer Huddersfield have managed to cope since he left we just somehow have to find a way to do the same

PL stressed a lot when he took the job that one big reason he came was because venkys promised him total control to run the club as he saw fit. With that in mind he will have total say in this sale.

Lets be honest, once you cut through all the dramatics and emotion of the sale, 10m plus for him is a great deal. Just hope PL spends it wisely as we won't have these funds again for a while and our short and medium term future hinges on the way he spends this cash.

• Moderation Lead

Not going to lie, gutted he's going.

In any case, if ALL the money goes back into the team, it might not be the worst thing ever, but we'll have to spend it wisely and not get mugged off! Someone suggesting good loans for now then saving the money until the summer where you get better value could be good idea. In any event, it's a hell of a risk!!

I agree. Change is required.

Given all the financial stuff, it seemed only a matter of time before we had to cash in and use the money to build a team. He is a wonderful goalscorer but a blind man could see it wasn't working with Rhodes up front, surrounded by freebies and rubbish-because that is mostly what we have bought in the last few years.

Agreed! This departure doesnt hurt anywhere near as much as when Shearer left, although similar with top scorer, biggest name and leaving for a tin-pot delusional northeast club with ideas way above its station.

Shearer was the teams heartbeat and made the rest of the team play, but also busted a gut for his team mates, Rhodes was very good at what he does, but didnt make a team tick or inspire those around him to play better. (If he did have that magic ingredient he wouldnt have been at Rovers as long as he has anyway). Tom M has posted that Huddersfield found a way to cope and have held their own, perhaps we go nick the player they brought in, Nankhl Wells anyone?

Team and club bigger than any player, time to move on.

Not going to lie, gutted he's going.

In any case, if ALL the money goes back into the team, it might not be the worst thing ever, but we'll have to spend it wisely and not get mugged off! Someone suggesting good loans for now then saving the money until the summer where you get better value could be good idea. In any event, it's a hell of a risk!!

My guess. Balaji will get his money back - maybe take a percentage too (10% - business is business), Hudds will get their cut (20%?) and Lambert will get the rest (on tick) to wheel and deal.

£11m

Less £8.8m (Balaji bonus)

Less £0.6m (Hudds cut)

Leaving £1.6m for players

Wonder how many goals that will buy us - or if it has already been spent on Watt?

Still, at least we are now out of FFP. Oh wait... we already were!

Just signed up to bet fair and put £20 on us to go down at 50/1. Knowing my track record this should save us from the drop. Really tough run of games coming up and with our record against top 8 teams over the last couple of years we should start worrying. This is a huge gamble.

Not as huge as £20 on a 50 to 1 runner.

• Backroom

Unless we sign a goalscorer, we're @#/?. Anybody thinking the likes of Graham, Brown, Delfouneso or Watt are going to step up to replace Rhodes' goals is living in a dreamworld. We already know our midfield aren't going to step up.

The teams below us will be delighted with this news.

As much as you won't find a better goalscorer Huddersfield have managed to cope since he left we just somehow have to find a way to do the same

Thats an excellent point Tom.

Huddersfield have coped without him.

So we will have to aswell.

Lets not also forget that Rhodes wanted to move in the summer to Boro and went public with his demands

• Backroom

Blind faith in Lambert from me. I just hope it isn't misplaced.

Thanks Jordan for being an absolute pro while here and being my only proper football 'hero' since our relegation. Thanks for stopping us following Wigan and Blackpool into League 1. Thanks for so so so many goals. Thanks for giving me stats to wind up my mates who support bigger clubs.

Thanks for being the one man who's made us smile in the last few horrible years.

Let's hope he doesn't get abuse vs Boro. I'll be applauding him.

I'm not too bothered by this sale... providing money is put into sourcing some good players.

Let's not forget we have had this situation before, good players leave and we will be fine without him.

I have faith in lambert agenda. Rhodes was not the same since the summer and Boro have got their man.

Good luck to him and thanks for the goals but now it's Rovers who need to move on.

No matter what the money is which we are given, we need to look at our centre midfield... Need a lock picker! Some one to open up the oppositions defence and put balls to a pacey, aggressive forward.

We were never going to get that with no money to build around Rhodes!

Bad timing night before a game but transfer deadline,business, money talks etc...that's football. We can dwell on this all week and I'm in that pack but let's hope PL has got this one right, assuming this is in his plan.

JR has wanted to leave for a while now but like a true professional didn't do what some of the other top signings have done to the club in recent years. If or when he does return in the opposition he'll get a standing ovation at Ewood Park. We don't know exactly what goes on behind closed doors but the PL team was appointed to turn this club around for the better. Let's hope we're still on the right tracks and this disappointment will soon be forgotten.

A win today will help.

COYB!!

My guess. Balaji will get his money back - maybe take a percentage too (10% - business is business), Hudds will get their cut (20%?) and Lambert will get the rest (on tick) to wheel and deal.

£11m

Less £0.6m (Hudds cut)

Wonder how many goals that will buy us - or if it has already been spent on Watt?

Sadly that £1.6m left will be from the add ons that may never arrive. I hope your scenario is wrong

Its a tough one this, I've sat on the fence for months now but it has to be said this season has not been the most productive one of his career with us and it has looked for months that he was on his way.

The goalposts have shifted since he came. Then it was "Rhodes 30 goals a season will fire us to promotion" now its 'Rhodes 30 goals a season will save us from relegation". Venkys have a way of radically altering your expectations.

Seriously, how long could that go on? Having a multi-million pound player, earning 40 grand a week ,scoring 30 goals a season to avoid relegation while everybody around him is sold off and the squad gets weaker and the task gets harder every year?

Those who wanted Rhodes to stay also realised how weak the squad is and suggested 5/6 players are needed. We are getting them but the sale of Rhodes is paying for them! Venkys will put no more in, surely we all realise that now?

So Lambert's options were to keep him and continue Bowyer's practice of signing more and more dross in the hope that a couple would function (and then be sold of course) or to make the decisive step and remodel the team.

And there was no choice because what we had wasn't working.

£11m

Less £0.6m (Hudds cut)

The doom merchants on here were repeatedly saying that we bought Rhodes in many instalments over several years. Saying in transfer window after transfer window that the club were struggling to make the next payment and we would have to sell Rhodes.

Now he is going it was all Balaji's money which the club wouldn't have had to worry about but the club won't get much.

Wonder what the truth is. One tale of misery can't be right.

A few points strike me about this.

It's 90% certain that Lambert would have known that Rhodes was leaving when he took over as that would have been linked to our embargo and how much money he has to spend.

Bowyer must be grinding his teeth in fury.

For his own career's sake and for the club's sake too it's time Rhodes moved on to a club in a more positive situation.

Rhodes is slow now so his pace is only going to go one way from now on. Obviously no real comparison at all with the great man but as with Shearer whilst it's aggravating to lose a scorer it's very likely that we have seen the best of him.

My biggest concern is who Lambert will replace him with because whilst it's early days yet his recent signings have certainly not filled me with much confidence. The next few months will see Rhodes facing a huge test of his ability whilst Lambert is facing an even bigger one.

Last but not least if I was a Boro fan I'd much rather have signed Patrick Bamford.

Archived