BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Big Match Preview: Rotherham Away - 30Th April

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or the guy could just be another venky appologist

Lambert's first words of resignation were "I'd like to thank the owners" - that in itself might warrant a "Judas" cry might it not? I know I wasn't too chuffed when I saw that.

Great day out in South Yorkshire. We sampled a good few drinks on the train and in Rotherham then stopped off in Sheffield after.

Great show of support from Rovers fans AGAIN this time without the moronic few tagging along (you know who you are)!

Cant say much more than that, VENKYS OUT NOW

Lambert's first words of resignation were "I'd like to thank the owners" - that in itself might warrant a "Judas" cry might it not? I know I wasn't too chuffed when I saw that.

I'm utterly convinced that it's a read between the lines statement. I don't believe that they have spoken to him prior, during, or after him terminating his contract early.

If he slates them then it gives them an excuse to pretend he was a bad 'un that they couldn't support. He has taken the moral high ground in my view. After saying exactly what the fans have been thinking at every opportunity this last six months - following 5 years of sycophants - it would be very bitter to start calling him judas.

Any and all ire should be directed towards Venkys. Lest anyone forgets.

• Moderation Lead

When was the last time a manager resigned/activated a get out clause? They usually wait to get sacked for financial reasons. Speaks volumes for me...

• Backroom

When was the last time a manager resigned/activated a get out clause? They usually wait to get sacked for financial reasons. Speaks volumes for me...

I think people criticising the clause being in the contract need to remember what Lambert had been through at Villa. He'd already been through one bad situation which had taken a physical toll on him - is it any surprise he wanted a safeguard this time around, especially with our notoriously bad owners? If anything he'd have been stupid not to have a get out clause, and as it turns out, he had every right to add one to his contract.

And what are our owners, den?

The clues in my previous post Gumboots.

I think people criticising the clause being in the contract need to remember what Lambert had been through at Villa. He'd already been through one bad situation which had taken a physical toll on him - is it any surprise he wanted a safeguard this time around, especially with our notoriously bad owners? If anything he'd have been stupid not to have a get out clause, and as it turns out, he had every right to add one to his contract.

Like I said in another post, I imagine the get out clause was available to both Lambert and Venkys.

A really good performance today and a glimpse of what might have been if the owners would only back the manager THEY appointed. We played some really attractive football today but, sadly, once the loan players have gone, those out of contract have gone, and the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Marshall and Evans decide their ambition isn't matched by the owners we will be a shell of an outfit next season.

That's what they are wanting now in India I think as a shell outfit will be nice and cheap to run and won't require many directors etc.

Maybe, but only idiots wouldn't be pulling up trees even now, to sign up Danny Graham. Best centre forward since the Yak.

I don't think he'd sign anyway. He'll have better offers.

One of the things Lambert has kicked off about is that the players don't have any certainty. Why would they ignore him and go directly to the players? I'd be surprised if Desai could name any of our current players, let alone know which ones are worth keeping.

If the 1225 Rovers fans there yesterday were showing unqualified support for Lambert then I don't agree with that but what spirit and passion it sounds like they demonstrated yesterday.

That's why you have hope, that's why you carry on when you get up one morning and think "What's the point?".

We're Blackburn Rovers. We're down but we're not yet out. And we won't be defeated by the incompetence of owners, overpaid underperforming mercenaries on the pitch, or overpaid underperforming mercenaries in the dug out walking out on their responsibilities.

..... or overpaid underperforming mercenaries in the dug out walking out on their responsibilities.

Naughty. Countless employees of Blackburn Rovers have 'walked out on their responsibilities' as you put it. There is a reason for that, the common denominator being Venky's, as you no doubt know. As I said the other day, you have disliked Paul Lambert from day one.

A really good performance today and a glimpse of what might have been if the owners would only back the manager THEY appointed. We played some really attractive football today but, sadly, once the loan players have gone, those out of contract have gone, and the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Marshall and Evans decide their ambition isn't matched by the owners we will be a shell of an outfit next season.

I really struggle with this concept that Lambert wasn't backed Parson. He was allowed to sign SEVEN outfield players from January onwards. That's only 3 players off replacing an entire team. How many should he have been allowed to sign?

Plus, if rumours about him asking for 15/20m are accurate then realistically that is ridiculous in our current financial situation. A good manager should be able to make a difference on 5 or 6m plus wages.

I really struggle with this concept that Lambert wasn't backed Parson. He was allowed to sign SEVEN outfield players from January onwards. That's only 3 players off replacing an entire team. How many should he have been allowed to sign?

Plus, if rumours about him asking for 15/20m are accurate then realistically that is ridiculous in our current financial situation. A good manager should be able to make a difference on 5 or 6m plus wages.

This is a ridiculous post, Rev. Being allowed a couple of freebies and loans isn't backing. Based on the Rhodes sale, he is in a negative spend position.

If all of the players currently on Rovers books all had two and three year contracts then yes £5-6m might add to that. But we are losing half the squad and it needs replacing as well.

Saw the highlights. While its a bit per-mature to comment on the performance based on just highlights, a couple of observations.

1. Lambert realized too late that we need a change in formation in order to stop leaking goals. I would say the tactical changes came about 3 months too late.

2. While we won the match, I would not say we won too convincingly. But I would take a lucky win compared to a loss with good performances, as unfortunately our season has been.

3. We allowed them too many shots from outside the box.

4. We had a fair bit of chances ourselves and on a better day should have scored more.

While Rotherham are not a great team and this victory should not mean much, we do not have a bad set of players and if retained and improved upon by a decent manager, we can be a top half team.

P.S. If we are to challenge the playoffs, it is absolutely imperative that the Rhodes money has to be put back into the squad and a decent appointment in terms of the new manager. [They got lucky appointing Lambert, I am not holding by breath again]

This is a ridiculous post, Rev. Being allowed a couple of freebies and loans isn't backing. Based on the Rhodes sale, he is in a negative spend position.

If all of the players currently on Rovers books all had two and three year contracts then yes £5-6m might add to that. But we are losing half the squad and it needs replacing as well.

Exactly Stuart. Eastwood, Kilgallon, Spurr, Williamson, Brown, Jackson, O'Sullivan, Delfouneso, Graham, Gomez. Grimes from the first team squad are all out of contract and will need replacing. Add a number of the Under-21's who have been released and that leaves an extremely thin squad. If Venkys expect that to be covered by 2 or 3 million then I think relegation will be a nailed on certainty. The owners seemed destined to follow the path of Blackpool and Bolton and take the Rovers further down the leagues. In five short years they have employed and sacked numerous executives in the boardroom, fired off six managers and taken the club back to its lowest point since around 1971. Rev, talks about the need for a good manager. Merlin the Magician couldn't sort this out working under the Venkys.

Saw the highlights. While its a bit per-mature to comment on the performance based on just highlights, a couple of observations.

1. Lambert realized too late that we need a change in formation in order to stop leaking goals. I would say the tactical changes came about 3 months too late.

2. While we won the match, I would not say we won too convincingly. But I would take a lucky win compared to a loss with good performances, as unfortunately our season has been.

3. We allowed them too many shots from outside the box.

4. We had a fair bit of chances ourselves and on a better day should have scored more.

While Rotherham are not a great team and this victory should not mean much, we do not have a bad set of players and if retained and improved upon by a decent manager, we can be a top half team.

P.S. If we are to challenge the playoffs, it is absolutely imperative that the Rhodes money has to be put back into the squad and a decent appointment in terms of the new manager. [They got lucky appointing Lambert, I am not holding by breath again]

This match was what we call a 'dead rubber'. Don't read too much into any of it. Whoever comes in now will have to start from scratch anyway. Venkys have just wasted another 6 months, and added another 6 months of debt.

Shaw and Myers, presumably, brought in Lambert, now all three are out. Who is even going to recruit the next guy?

Exactly Stuart. Eastwood, Kilgallon, Spurr, Williamson, Brown, Jackson, O'Sullivan, Delfouneso, Graham, Gomez. Grimes from the first team squad are all out of contract and will need replacing. Add a number of the Under-21's who have been released and that leaves an extremely thin squad. If Venkys expect that to be covered by 2 or 3 million then I think relegation will be a nailed on certainty. The owners seemed destined to follow the path of Blackpool and Bolton and take the Rovers further down the leagues. In five short years they have employed and sacked numerous executives in the boardroom, fired off six managers and taken the club back to its lowest point since around 1971. Rev, talks about the need for a good manager. Merlin the Magician couldn't sort this out working under the Venkys.

No-one would suggest the squad could be completely rebuilt for 2-3m Parson. On the other hand a competitive wage bill is almost as significant as a huge transfer budget in this League imo. Graham for example would be presumably available on a free with his wages being the potential stumbling block.

You're quite right though about the number of players out of contract. All the more reason Lambert should have set about rectifying the long term position in January and not exacerbated the problem by bringing in a raft of (generally useless) players on loan and short term deals.

No-one would suggest the squad could be completely rebuilt for 2-3m Parson. On the other hand a competitive wage bill is almost as significant as a huge transfer budget in this League imo. Graham for example would be presumably available on a free with his wages being the potential stumbling block.

You're quite right though about the number of players out of contract. All the more reason Lambert should have set about rectifying the long term position in January and not exacerbated the problem by bringing in a raft of (generally useless) players on loan and short term deals.

How would he have done that - without any, you know, money?

The permanent signings - Bennett and Ward - have done more than enough to suggest they will be good additions for us going forward. Graham, Gomez and Grimes were loan signings which, when you have little or no money, tends to be the way to go and it is what the new manager is going to have to do in the summer. Graham has been excellent, Gomez and Grimes less so although both have had their moments when they have delivered. Jackson came on a short term deal and has been a more than useful substitute, adding a bit of pace when needed. Lambert stated in January, that the summer was the window that would need the investment to build the type of squad he believed was required to get us in the promotion race. Rhodes went and the money was, presumably earmarked for the summer - although I doubt the new manager will see much, if any of that. Lambert was clearly working on a longer term plan than a few months, although Venkys don't appear to do plans - long or short term. Other managers will have noted the frustrations that Lambert has faced and I fear the only ones who will want this job are those clearly desperate to get back in the game under any circumstances - hence the reason why Paul Jewell's name keeps coming up.

Archived