BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

Next manager  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next manager?

• Jason Wilcox
    • Not Jason Wilcox
    • Grooby

• Moderation Lead

Let's see how he does in his next job then. His performance here and at Villa suggests he's a busted flush. If he does well then obviously we may have missed a trick.

Both clubs with ownership issues, and nobody has succeeded at Villa for years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better than Bowyers with Bowyers squad FFS. Bowyer had 3 years. Lambert had 6 months.

You never were this bitter you know.

And by that merit Bowyer built his squad under an embargo. Lambert wanted 20 mil to build his.

Let's not discredit either manager. Bowyer did a very good job under the circumstances and Lambert is a good manager - he just inherited a poor squad and had promises broken. The real villains are the owners.

And by that merit Bowyer built his squad under an embargo. Lambert wanted 20 mil to build his.

Let's not discredit either manager. Bowyer did a very good job under the circumstances and Lambert is a good manager - he just inherited a poor squad and had promises broken. The real villains are the owners.

Bowyer built his squad free from embargo for 2 seasons, he was only under embargo late on. And then he managed to bring puddings like Koita, Petshi, Delfy and Guthrie on 10k a week in.

Exactly Gav.

We need investment big time

That's not going to happen chaddy. If it was Lambert would still be manager next season but instead it will be bargain basement freebies and loans and a manager who is so desperate for work he'll accept that. League One is nailed on in twelve months time.

You never were this bitter you know.

If I sound bitter towards Lambert, it's nothing to do with not liking him per se. I don't like Alex Ferguson either but I'd have taken him as manager.

Look at the squad Lambert has left us with going forward for next season. That's the top and bottom of it.

Results and performances didn't suggest he was a promotion savvy manager though did they? Barely any better than Bowyer's.

So Rev, would you have sacked Lee after he spent five months getting poor results and selling off our better players as he sorted out a squad that the following year won the Third Division title?

That's not going to happen chaddy. If it was Lambert would still be manager next season but instead it will be bargain basement freebies and loans and a manager who is so desperate for work he'll accept that. League One is nailed on in twelve months time.

Its very disappointing to see tbh. Its not what I was only for.

Thats why I suggested Holloway.

So Rev, would you have sacked Lee after he spent five months getting poor results and selling off our better players as he sorted out a squad that the following year won the Third Division title?

Add Kendall, Hughes and Souness to that list as well.

Add Kendall, Hughes and Souness to that list as well.

Bang on oldjamfan. Rome wasn't built in a day and Lambert was the best hope we had of going forward next season. I really do fear the worst with these clowns in charge.

If I sound bitter towards Lambert, it's nothing to do with not liking him per se. I don't like Alex Ferguson either but I'd have taken him as manager.

Look at the squad Lambert has left us with going forward for next season. That's the top and bottom of it.

The thing is Rev, apart from a great deal for Olsson, the only departure was Rhodes (for a fee we were lucky to get and wasn't coming from anywhere else). Lambert wasn't given any cash to replace at the time so loans were the only way to go. What has transpired since would suggest that certain assurances were reneged on (the Myers resignation being a real pointer) and the owners have turned whatever taps they left dripping completely off. Result being that any plans that Lambert had were out of the window and he has bailed out as he can see the oncoming car crash.

You've certainly nailed your colours to the mast on Lambert but there's no doubt in my mind that your opinion is based solely on the fact he sold Rhodes. Your disdain for him has known no bounds since then.

I was only about 11 at the time so looked at things with the wild optimism of youth but I honestly don't recall it being that bad under Lee when he initially took over Parson so I'd say no.

Lee's success hinged on building a team of journeymen into an effective team without spending a great deal of money and rejuvenating the careers of old war horses like Don Martin and not so old but possibly underperforming players like Stuart Metcalfe . Completely the opposite to Lambert who it would appear wanted to wave the cheque book at it.

I was only about 11 at the time so looked at things with the wild optimism of youth but I honestly don't recall it being that bad under Lee when he initially took over Parson so I'd say no.

Lee's success hinged on building a team of journeymen into an effective team without spending a great deal of money and rejuvenating the careers of old war horses like Don Martin and not so old but possibly underperforming players like Stuart Metcalfe . Completely the opposite to Lambert who it would appear wanted to wave the cheque book at it.

Lee won one of the last eleven games in 73-74. He sold Field and Garbett because he wanted to raise funds to spend on Oates, Beamish, Hawkins, Hilton, Mullen and Burgin with Hickman and Hoy being added later on. He spent money Rev, but the difference was he had the full support of Bill Bancroft and the directors.

Yes and that's the key point you seem to have missed. They LIED to him.

Yeah I know what wild optimism was like wasn't much older than that in 1999. 99-2000 season predicted a 7-0 scoreline on opening day and believed Rovers would make Sunderland's dominance the previous season seem like nothing. My Grandad laughed guess he knew enough to know it would be a lot tougher than that. Still there was quite a difference because Rovers were nailed on promotion favourites that season.

The thing is Rev, apart from a great deal for Olsson, the only departure was Rhodes (for a fee we were lucky to get and wasn't coming from anywhere else). Lambert wasn't given any cash to replace at the time so loans were the only way to go. What has transpired since would suggest that certain assurances were reneged on (the Myers resignation being a real pointer) and the owners have turned whatever taps they left dripping completely off. Result being that any plans that Lambert had were out of the window and he has bailed out as he can see the oncoming car crash.

You've certainly nailed your colours to the mast on Lambert but there's no doubt in my mind that your opinion is based solely on the fact he sold Rhodes. Your disdain for him has known no bounds since then.

I think Rev has a point to be honest. I was delighted when Lambert was appointed and gutted when he left in equal measure. But I can't say I thought he was doing a great job and Imo he still had it all to do. I believe he had what it takes to do that job. But if this football season has taught us anything it's that success can be achieved without huge investment. I'm not saying we didn't need it and I'm not saying I expected him to do a Leicester with us. But let's not sugarcoat things. Our results haven't been spectacular. It's about expectation levels.

The big thing for me is the club isn't right and that was his get out of jail free card. And it's perfectly valid too. Any successful club needs to be correctly run behind the scenes. It's a strange position to find yourself in really. Feeling the manager is overseeing results which could be better yet at the same time thinking he's our best shot at getting out of the mire.

Don't really make any apology for that. What sort of manager sells their star asset on the last day of the transfer window without knowing for certain if that money will be available for reinvestment in the squad?. Unless of course you know you won't be there in summer so you don't really care.

There is also the possibility that the owners initially intended backing Lambert but their mood shifted as we played ourselves out of play off contention over the Christmas and New Year period. That's my reading of it the way things panned out, indeed as I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if Lambert's performance discouraged the owners so much, they're getting set to bail out in summer.

• Moderation Lead

Elliott Bennett looks like he will be the next on the boo boys list

Has he tweeted something congratulating a Dingle player? Not seen it, looks like he's deleted it....

Don't really make any apology for that. What sort of manager sells their star asset on the last day of the transfer window without knowing for certain if that money will be available for reinvestment in the squad?. Unless of course you know you won't be there in summer so you don't really care.

There is also the possibility that the owners initially intended backing Lambert but their mood shifted as we played ourselves out of play off contention over the Christmas and New Year period. That's my reading of it the way things panned out, indeed as I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if Lambert's performance discouraged the owners so much, they're getting set to bail out in summer.

I thought your main beef was the squad he is leaving us with? Add Rhodes to it and I take it you'd be quite happy?

Lee won one of the last eleven games in 73-74. He sold Field and Garbett because he wanted to raise funds to spend on Oates, Beamish, Hawkins, Hilton, Mullen and Burgin with Hickman and Hoy being added later on. He spent money Rev, but the difference was he had the full support of Bill Bancroft and the directors.

Comparisons between Lee and Lambert are tenuous in the extreme Parson.

We don't know how much money the owners said Lambert could spend or if it was a reasonable amount.

Lambert walked out. Lee didn't and did the business.

I thought your main beef was the squad he is leaving us with? Add Rhodes to it and I take it you'd be quite happy?

In your efforts to trip me up you're contradicting yourself Jason. How is selling Rhodes and replacing him with loanees and a short term signing not weakening the squad?

Comparisons between Lee and Lambert are tenuous in the extreme Parson.

We don't know how much money the owners said Lambert could spend or if it was a reasonable amount.

Lambert walked out. Lee didn't and did the business.

Your probably not going to like the next manager either Rev.

Has he tweeted something congratulating a Dingle player? Not seen it, looks like he's deleted it....

That's right mate, he's put an apology on. I can understand him tweeting a mate etc, but surely he knows the rivalry and the trouble it will create.

Archived