BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry folks, Reading are signing van Der Vaat. We will compete.

Looks like Reading don't subscribe to the 'natural level' rubbish.

Wonder why their fans aren't demanding they 'cut their cloth' and revert back to the 80's as though its inevitable.

Wait? Rich owners who want to improve their club and give them a chance of success? Surely not, far better to run the club on a shoestring and then point towards a lack of fans as evidence of a natural process of decline.

Reading the comments on the LT site there and it's worrying that the only one who makes any sense is John Claret.

You know that it is the first sign of madness, reading anything printed in or associated with that rag..?

Second sign is commenting yourself..

Third and irrefutable sign is taking anything written by said John Claret with anything other than a glass of warm milk and arsenic.

You know that it is the first sign of madness, reading anything printed in or associated with that rag..?

Second sign is commenting yourself..

Third and irrefutable sign is taking anything written by said John Claret with anything other than a glass of warm milk and arsenic.

Wibble wibble

Evans being good is where I disagree!

Don't get me wrong, Lowe is poor, but I'm not convinced Evans is much better. Like Lowe he tries to harass the opposition but he doesn't really break up play or add any solidity. Likewise his passing isn't that great, he's not a playmaker, nor does he keep us ticking over. Also he doesn't make many surging runs forward and only occasionally pops into goal scoring positions. He's not terrible at any of these things but he's not good at any of them. I always wonder what kind of midfielder is he? Where does he fit in the team, what role does he have which others couldn't do better?

As for not seeing the best - I thought that for quite a while and have heard lots of other people say the same. Thing is for me, there's only so long that promise isn't fulfilled before I start to think it's not actually there! And I've never seen Evans dominate the midfield for the majority of the game, just seen glimpses of ability, and tbh I think that's all we'll ever see out of him.

Lenihan and Evans would be a strong midfield, maybe with Byrne in there in 4-3-3 formation but Coyle seems to want to 4-4-1-1 formation as his main formation.

Happy with wingers as we 4/5 players who can play there.

My team would be:- Steele; Lowe, Duffy, new CB, New LB; Bennett, Lenihan, Evans, Conway; Marshall; Graham.

In your opinion :tu:

My above post explains why imo Evans isn't good enough. Likewise is Byrne defensive, I thought he was a more creative player? But I could be mistaken. If he is creative, then he's not all that defensively, that's a lot of defending for just 2 of the 3 to do. And given one of those 2 is Evans that's an awful lot of pressure to put on Lenihan.

Also Marshall has failed every time he plays the number 10 role, so not sure I'd advocate that either. And whilst 1 up front would help compensate for our total lack of depth up front I'd be worried our lack of pace would leave the lone striker very isolated.

not sure what your problem is? He's chatting football on a football MB.

Not a problem , an observation of his constant ' changing' that he ironically denies - moreso imo its waffling rather than chatting

He's the one that says he enjoys going to watch Rovers and them play football - which from his comments is quite obviously not if he continues to want expand his would likes and loanees as would appear not happy with what we have currently.

Obviously you seem to though - are you daddy chaddy by any chance ?

Think you could be right,donner. The best bit of transfer business would be to sign up Marshall & Duffy on new contracts by a deadline,or sell on as they will be worth nothing in 12 months time........weve already given one player away (almost)in Hanley dont want it to become three.

This needs to be done asap imv as both players can run down their 12 months and bide there time ( have a decent 12 months for us and have a host of clubs awaiting their services )

Think you could be right,donner. The best bit of transfer business would be to sign up Marshall & Duffy on new contracts by a deadline,or sell on as they will be worth nothing in 12 months time........weve already given one player away (almost)in Hanley dont want it to become three.

Its criminal that these contracts have been allowed to get to this stage, its also one of the reasons Lambert walked, as he couldn't get anything done with regards to the players at the club or Danny Graham.

Amateurish

Its criminal that these contracts have been allowed to get to this stage, its also one of the reasons Lambert walked, as he couldn't get anything done with regards to the players at the club or Danny Graham.

Amateurish

Completely unacceptable way to go about business.

They were quite happy to sanction new contracts for Corry Evans and Craig Conway, and yet arguably more urgent business in Duffy and Marshall has been allowed to reach this stage. I'd have thought, given the priority for Venkys now appears to be cashing in on our assets, that they would have wanted our two biggest remaining assets to be tied down to longer term deals so that the financial rewards of selling them are significantly higher.

As it is they will both probably leave for maybe £2 million each. If they had 3 years left on their deals I would expect £5 million+ for Duffy and £3 million + for Marshall. So we'll probably end up with less than half of their potential values.

Its just another example of the clueless running of this football club. Given the numbers out of contract this summer it was essential that those few decent players that we had left were tied to the club longer term to give us some quality to build our squad around going forward, or if needs be a decent financial return were they to be sold. Now we're down to 16 players and I can't imagine why either Duffy or Marshall would be interested in committing to this club long term given its performance in recent months. No ambition, clueless management, decent players sold, journeymen brought in. Hanley, Rhodes, Cairney sold off to rivals. Why bother?

Make no mistake, Duffy and Marshall will have numerous clubs and managers whispering in their ears this summer, encouraging them to reject any new contract with the offer of a deal elsewhere next summer.

Why all the fuss about contracts. We already know we will see, none of any potential transfer money invested in the team. So it doesn't matter how much we get for them. Let them play here for another season, hopefully they have good ones , to try to impress everyone. If at the end of the season they want to reject any offer we make, and want to move on, let them go.

Amateurish

J-Lo's contract is up next year as well. I wonder if we'll see him rejecting a new offer in favour of a lucrative deal elsewhere?

Why all the fuss about contracts. We already know we will see, none of any potential transfer money invested in the team. So it doesn't matter how much we get for them. Let them play here for another season, hopefully they have good ones , to try to impress everyone. If at the end of the season they want to reject any offer we make, and want to move on, let them go.

Trouble is, I think its highly unlikely they will both be here for another season.

I can see it now. Other clubs will be fully aware of their contractual situation, speculation will spread like wildfire with the support of the muppets at the Telegraph, Championship rivals will come in with bids later on in the window.

Rovers will opt to cash in on them. Cheston will claim we had no choice because we are going to lose them for nothing next year, so it makes financial sense to let them go now whilst they retain some value.

It also doesn't ring true with their 'philosophy'. If they are all about selling players at a profit and making money that way there is no way they are going to risk losing them both for nothing, and it makes no sense to leave contract negotiations this late. All it does is fuel speculation and make people restless when those two should be securely tied down long term by now and we should be looking to build a team around them. Worst case scenario someone tries to sign them but the club would be in a strong position of being able to hold out for a good price, now we cant even do that.

J-Lo's contract is up next year as well. I wonder if we'll see him rejecting a new offer in favour of a lucrative deal elsewhere?

Only time i would be happy to see a player wanting to leave. I really couldnt be happier if Lowe finds a new home.

Any news on the incoming front?

Bar trials for the due to retire..

According to Alan Nixon we might be getting the centre half situation sorted with Greer and one more player coming in.

Waiting on PL Club to decide on when the pacey striker come to us.

Left back will be the biggest problem to suit

According to Alan Nixon we might be getting the centre half situation sorted with Greer and one more player coming in.

Waiting on PL Club to decide on when the pacey striker come to us.

Left back will be the biggest problem to suit

The lad with pace is Traore still isn't it? Won't get a sniff there (Chelsea) but there will be bigger clubs than us after him.

Greer and one more will do it if we don't lose Duffy. We need the 'one more' to be a strong player ready to start. We don't want anymore squad fillers. Greer could be a very good short term fix but we need someone younger as well. Wonder if it'll be Smith from Ipswich.

Would Jake Buxton improved us ? It looks like he's signing for Wigan ...what about Adam Armstrong from Newcastle ??? Well he looks like signing for Rotherham ..Lewis Mcgugan ?? .... He's been told he's free to leave sheff wed ditto Alex Pritchard (admittedly he would be out our price range anyway ) we arnt even competing with these teams

Would Jake Buxton improved us ? It looks like he's signing for Wigan ...what about Adam Armstrong from Newcastle ??? Well he looks like signing for Rotherham ..Lewis Mcgugan ?? .... He's been told he's free to leave sheff wed ditto Alex Pritchard (admittedly he would be out our price range anyway ) we arnt even competing with these teams

Buxton is a good player at this level, aggressive and tenacious and has decent leadership quality.

Archived