BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very supportive of signing Greer. Still has a lot to offer. Never had any pace so his age is not a problem. Good in the air, good positional sense, and a real leader.

Central defensive options of Duffy, Ward, Hanley replacement, Brown, and Greer would be very strong.

You really think we'd have 5 senior CB's on the books? Duffy will go. It will likely be Ward, Greer, Wharton and Brown or similar.

Chaddy - re: 'bids in for CB's'. Please do not believe everything Nixon says. All evidence points to us not spending any money under these charlatans.

You really think we'd have 5 senior CB's on the books? Duffy will go. It will likely be Ward, Greer, Wharton and Brown or similar.

Chaddy - re: 'bids in for CB's'. Please do not believe everything Nixon says. All evidence points to us not spending any money under these charlatans.

Duffy, Replacement, Ward and Greer with Wharton as 5th choice. Dont see Brown signing. Wharton learning his trade this season with a view to him being part of the squad next season

Told me last night about this experience centre half coming in today. Then Greer comes in today.

I'd guess that brown would be seen as cover for RB as well as CH.

I thought Duffy would go to Celtic but that now appears unlikely. Still think he'll go, most probably to Wolves.

I think there will be a cash buy as Hanley's replacement but no more than £1m.

Seems to be a huge shift in transfer policy these days. It used to be the aim to bring in young players and sell on for a profit. These days we're bringing in older players on short term deals with no sell on value. Perhaps ties in with a potential exit strategy?

Hanley could make his debut today for Newcastle

We should look at their medical staff!

Lazarus Hanley.

The good old Catholic boy Coyle will have to come clean in the confessional box soon. Tut tut Owen.

Duffy, Replacement, Ward and Greer with Wharton as 5th choice. Dont see Brown signing. Wharton learning his trade this season with a view to him being part of the squad next season

Told me last night about this experience centre half coming in today. Then Greer comes in today.

one in the eye for the Nicko-haters

one in the eye for the Nicko-haters

Fair play, he got one right. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but credit where it's due.

Let's see when the next time he's right though.

I did really well then, not one 'broken clock' reference :lol:

• Backroom

Fair play to Nixon he got one thing right the day before its common knowledge

His strike rate is already better than the last few years!

Fair play, he got one right. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but credit where it's due.

Let's see when the next time he's right though.

I did really well then, not one 'broken clock' reference :lol:

Tick To.....

I'd guess that brown would be seen as cover for RB as well as CH.

I thought Duffy would go to Celtic but that now appears unlikely. Still think he'll go, most probably to Wolves.

I think there will be a cash buy as Hanley's replacement but no more than £1m.

Seems to be a huge shift in transfer policy these days. It used to be the aim to bring in young players and sell on for a profit. These days we're bringing in older players on short term deals with no sell on value. Perhaps ties in with a potential exit strategy?

Just a way of plugging gaps I think whilst they cash in what can be sold for decent money with the idea a load of youth will step in in a season or so.

Have to say though that for the route they are going down and the predicament we are in Greer is very good back up. Go as far as saying still decent enough to start regularly IF he's alongside Duffy or Ward. Solid player, watched him a bit here in his young days and always liked the look of him. He was never going to get in back then I don't think but you could tell he'd make a go of it somewhere.

Fair play although the agent angle will be of interest as always :)

Greer is better than I expected us to sign. If he plays regularly alongside Duffy that is not a bad CB partnership in all honesty. Greer should also be captain. Prefer Greer to Brown actually, because of his experience in this division.

Greer is better than I expected us to sign. If he plays regularly alongside Duffy that is not a bad CB partnership in all honesty. Greer should also be captain. Prefer Greer to Brown actually, because of his experience in this division.

Yep that's a good solid pairing and if they could gel and Duffy would listen to him it could be ok providing Greer still has something in his legs. Ward was brought as back up and should stay there imo.

Greer's pace was never key to his defending, which means he's had to rely on his positional awareness and communication throughout his career. Would love to have him slot in with Duffy, with Ward as back up.

Why we still haven't been linked with a RB is beyond me. Lowe/Henley aren't good enough. Need a solid full back. Before anyone says "Wes Brown can play RB" just think about what you are saying.

I want to see a few more additions to this squad. It's not looking good for me so far. I'd have liked to have seen us turn Blackpool's trialists over today. I know it's only pre-season but we are by far the better team.

If Blackpool trialists were good, can we nick them? If they are prepared to play for Blackpool they might just be prepared to choose us instead.

I'd want to see how they performed against Championship standard opposition before we offered them deals.

step 4 create loads of chances and come about 6th in the assists table in 14/15.

In the same year Matt Ritchie had the most assists playing on the opposite wing to his favoured foot. Both are quite slow so can't beat a man easily on the outside, but both have excellent delivery. It's a lot harder for a defender on his weaker foot to stop a player cutting back on his stronger foot from putting in crosses. Hence why they are both so effective.

As someone else said though once Rudy left he wasn't quite as effective.

I like Conway, but last season he was very poor and predictable.

• Backroom

I like Conway, but last season he was very poor and predictable.

Fair to say Lambert didn't rate him at all. Whether that was down to Conway failing to adapt to Lambert's style of play or some kind of personality clash I'm not sure. I find it hard to believe the former, seeing as very few of the players seemed to be able to understand what Lambert wanted.

I would not be signing Brown. Fitness is shocking.

I would be signing Greer, deffo on a 1 year deal with a view to another 12 months after.

He could pass on his experience to Duffy and Wharton. very experience player. We still need one more centre back in to partner Duffy

Fair to say Lambert didn't rate him at all. Whether that was down to Conway failing to adapt to Lambert's style of play or some kind of personality clash I'm not sure. I find it hard to believe the former, seeing as very few of the players seemed to be able to understand what Lambert wanted.

Lambert said that he didn't fit Lambert's diamond shape midfield we played.

Archived