Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Christ on a bike would be a good shout.

Hopefully he can play at right back. I've heard he's good at stepping it up a gear......*I'll get my coat*

There is some gossip (other than Nixon) that Rovers are close to pulling off what would be regarded as a coup on the forward front.

Think Nixon vastly 'oversold' Byrne but he might not be wrong on this one.

Nixon and Mercerman? It must be right then. :D

Sorry Mercer. Couldn't resist.

Gav, Coyle is looking 3 or 4 signings this week according to Alan Nixon.

We have enough players.

Season starts the 6th August

If he doesn't manage to bring in 3 or 4 more signings how many players would we have chaddy?

I'm asking because I have no idea to be honest, are we approaching Blackpool esq proportions?

If he doesn't manage to bring in 3 or 4 more signings how many players would we have chaddy?

I'm asking because I have no idea to be honest, are we approaching Blackpool esq proportions?

we have

Gk:- Steele, Raya

Def's:- Lowe, Henley, Ward, Duffy, Hendrie, Wharton, Doyle, Greer(when he signs)

Mid's:- Bennett, Lenihan, Evans, Byrne, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Mahoney, Marshall, O'Sullivan

Strikers:- Graham, Stokes

Suspect Coyle trying to get them in before Duffy and Marshall trundle off through the exit door as chances of getting anyone half decent in are pretty remote if you lose the likes of Duffy and Marshall.

Both been offered new deals.

Is there even one real rumour? A pacey striker was suppose to be close but not named.

Not bother about the rumour more bother about us signing good players

There is some gossip (other than Nixon) that Rovers are close to pulling off what would be regarded as a coup on the forward front.

Think Nixon vastly 'oversold' Byrne but he might not be wrong on this one.

Very true. time will tell.

On Byrne, he will take time to adapt to the championship

we have

Def's:- Lowe, Henley, Ward, Duffy, Hendrie, Wharton, Doyle, Greer(when he signs)

Mid's:- Bennett, Lenihan, Evans, Byrne, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Mahoney, Marshall, O'Sullivan

Both been offered new deals - means nothing unless they want to stay; IMV both offski.

Not bother about the rumour more bother about us signing good players

Very true. time will tell.

On Byrne, he will take time to adapt to the championship - reminds me of Alf Thornton's scribblings on new players 'showed some nice touches' (in other words, not up to much).

I'm not sure he'd be a good signing. Games come thick and fast in the Championship season and fixture congestion can get really tight at times, in a completely unrelated example, 2 games in 3 days over Easter weekend.

Greer is going to 3rd choice but bring experience

Greer is going to 3rd choice but bring experience

Never mind chaddy, I was making a rather tenuous reference to the potential signing of 'Christ on a bike'.

For what it's worth I've always been impressed with Greer whenever I've seen him play for Brighton and in fact was rather surprised to find they hadn't retained him.

we have

So I make that 21 minus Greer who isn't our player.

This includes several lads almost untried at this level, its a real worry for me.

Its a side lacking quality and experience all over the pitch.

Going to be a long hard season, but I think most of us know that.

I'm not sure he'd be a good signing. Games come thick and fast in the Championship season and fixture congestion can get really tight at times, in a completely unrelated example, 2 games in 3 days over Easter weekend.

Easter weekend with Christ on a bike? That's tempting fate for a start.

I reckon even without him someone's going to get crucified. Probably well before Easter and no resurrection to look forward to.

Easter weekend with Christ on a bike? That's tempting fate for a start.

I reckon even without him someone's going to get crucified. Probably well before Easter and no resurrection to look forward to.

I don't think he'd play for Judas anyway would he?

we have

Of the defenders, Wharton and Doyle have no experience at any level. None, zilch. Hendrie isn't good enough for a West Ham side that have no left backs due to injury crisis (they are looking to sign one now). Also, I got told by someone who played against him in an u21 fixture that he ain't that good. Lowe is a makeshift fullback, Greer is ancient and Duffy COULD be on his way.

Of the midfielders, Byrne is unproven at this level, Akpan is woeful (no arguments here, for a big lad he's a powderpuff player who doesn't tackle and can barely make a pass), Guthrie has lost it and O'Sullivan has barely looked even half-decent when I have watched him. Oh and Feeney: meh. Really hoping Mahoney gets some gametime though. Not forgetting, Marshall looks like he'll be on his way.

Strikers: Graham (good), Stokes (???). One of our two strikers might not even be up to standard for all we know.

If you think we have enough players, you've not thought about it hard enough Chaddy. Coyle might be looking at four signings but he NEEDS four signings to get us up to adequate numbers. Look how paper thin that defence is. Jeez. Personally, I think we are lacking quality all over the park.

This includes several lads almost untried at this level, its a real worry for me.

For me Gav, its all depends on who we signed between now and the end of the transfer window. depends on the quality we could have a good season, the transfer window is still open for the next 5 weeks

For me Gav, its all depends on who we signed between now and the end of the transfer window. depends on the quality we could have a good season, the transfer window is still open for the next 5 weeks

And so you concede that without strengthening we could be in for a really tough season?

Equally if any more go we'll be well and truly in the poo.

And needing another 4 players to make a squad that just about prevents us from playing unproven youngsters is pretty pathetic and worrying. A couple of injuries and we're in deep trouble.

Of the defenders, Wharton and Doyle have no experience at any level.

If you think we have enough players, you've not thought about it hard enough Chaddy. Coyle might be looking at four signings but he NEEDS four signings to get us up to adequate numbers. Look how paper thin that defence is. Jeez. Personally, I think we are lacking quality all over the park.

I have already mention that the only way you get experience is by playing. I think Wharton will learn a lot from Greer, Duffy,etc and make him better for the season after.

Nowhere have I said we have enough players! ​I have said we need 5 players in before the strikers starts. 2 centre backs, 1 left back and 2 strikers plus a keeper unless Fisher is good enough to be 3rd choice

Equally if any more go we'll be well and truly in the poo.

And needing another 4 players to make a squad that just about prevents us from playing unproven youngsters is pretty pathetic and worrying. A couple of injuries and we're in deep trouble.

It appears Coyle (and chaddy in his post) is trying to follow the Football Manager model. I've done it plenty of times (on my Mac, not in real life). Keep a tight squad and promote talented youngsters to the bench. Works on FM. (note: helps to have potential world class youngsters to plug the gaps and may not actually work in real life... ps I love that game)

21 minus 15 come the end of the season. Thats about 15 players that will be returning to their club. ;)

Archived