BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

I have already mention that the only way you get experience is by playing. I think Wharton will learn a lot from Greer, Duffy,etc and make him better for the season after.

Nowhere have I said we have enough players! ​I have said we need 5 players in before the strikers starts. 2 centre backs, 1 left back and 2 strikers plus a keeper unless Fisher is good enough to be 3rd choice

Chaddy, to respond to your bold post with the exclamation point... You said we have enough players little over an hour ago.

Gav, Coyle is looking 3 or 4 signings this week according to Alan Nixon.

We have enough players.

Season starts the 6th August

See.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Gav, Coyle is looking 3 or 4 signings this week according to Alan Nixon.

We have enough players.

Season starts the 6th August

Only here.....

I have already mention that the only way you get experience is by playing. I think Wharton will learn a lot from Greer, Duffy,etc and make him better for the season after.

Nowhere have I said we have enough players! ​I have said we need 5 players in before the strikers starts. 2 centre backs, 1 left back and 2 strikers plus a keeper unless Fisher is good enough to be 3rd choice

For me Gav, its all depends on who we signed between now and the end of the transfer window. depends on the quality we could have a good season, the transfer window is still open for the next 5 weeks

Difficult to go shopping with little or no money !

Even loans are costly.

• Moderation Lead

Enough players to fill the starting 11 and bench atm was my point

It's not acceptable for a professional football club to not have enough players for a matchday squad without having to promote largely unproven and untested youth. Even the loans haven't played in this league before, so they're still a flight risk. We knew this was always a distinct possibility with how many were out of contract as well......

Enough players to fill the starting 11 and bench atm was my point

If that's your point, then make it in full or else you're just confusing people. When you make a fairly explicit point and then claim you didn't say it, you can understand why this might cause annoyance/confusion, right? You can't blame me or others for not being able to read your mind, chaddy.

I still think the squad is lacking in both numbers and quality.

It appears Coyle (and chaddy in his post) is trying to follow the Football Manager model. I've done it plenty of times (on my Mac, not in real life). Keep a tight squad and promote talented youngsters to the bench. Works on FM. (note: helps to have potential world class youngsters to plug the gaps and may not actually work in real life... ps I love that game)

And yet it's the model that we, and pretty much any team at Championship level, should and will adopt sooner rather than later. I've said it before and I'll say it again; in the 5-10 games a fourth choice central defender realistically plays each season, how much worse would someone like Wharton do compared to a mediocre journeyman on first team wages? To keep bringing in players like Jackson, Taylor and Williamson with the express purpose of keeping them on the bench is equal to long term economic suicide.

Squad certainly lacks depth but in past years, teams (such as us) have floundered with big numbers, and teams short on depth and experience have triumphed. Not giving examples because we all know some local one!..

I prefer us to take our time if I'm honest. Whilst I had a lot of things good to say about GB, and his scenario was different - he did "scattergun" at times, the last thing we need right now is investing in players who aren't up to it!

Nothing wrong with giving kids a game either, it's only 12 months since Lenihan and Raya had no experience and I'd call both decent prospects right now.

And yet it's the model that we, and pretty much any team at Championship level, should and will adopt sooner rather than later. I've said it before and I'll say it again; in the 5-10 games a fourth choice central defender realistically plays each season, how much worse would someone like Wharton do compared to a mediocre journeyman on first team wages? To keep bringing in players like Jackson, Taylor and Williamson with the express purpose of keeping them on the bench is equal to long term economic suicide.

I have no problem bringing youth through provided they are good enough. However, at the moment we have too many areas being plugged by players yet to prove themselves at this level. Having Wharton as our fourth choice CB ain't too bad. If Duffy leaves, it's another spot that needs filling. And would it be filled? I am not convinced. We have only one young LB who has yet to prove himself at this level with no one in reserve except the youth squad. We have no recognised RB, except our converted former-CM Lowe. Our midfield is looking lightweight too and the same for up top. A few injuries and we are then relying on 3+ players with no Championship experience to step up and keep us competitive. Fair enough if you aren't even slightly concerned about this.

I have no problem bringing youth through provided they are good enough. However, at the moment we have too many areas being plugged by players yet to prove themselves at this level. Having Wharton as our fourth choice CB ain't too bad. If Duffy leaves, it's another spot that needs filling. And would it be filled? I am not convinced. We have only one young LB who has yet to prove himself at this level with no one in reserve except the youth squad. We have no recognised RB, except our converted former-CM Lowe. Our midfield is looking lightweight too and the same for up top. A few injuries and we are then relying on 3+ players with no Championship experience to step up and keep us competitive. Fair enough if you aren't even slightly concerned about this.

Oh I agree that the squad is too thin as of now, I'm just hoping we'll go the Wharton route for players who are initially fourth choice for their positions rather than filling those squad plages with wage-gouging journeymen.

I would agree we are light and we have a light squad at this moment in time but we still have a month to go before the window closes and that is plenty of time to reinforce in the right areas. For the first game we have a strong line up. Norwich are no easy time but they are still beatable. I know this won't be our line up but i would set up like this.

----------Steele------

Lowe--Duffy--Ward/Greer--Hendrie

Marshall---Lennihan----Evans----Bennett

-----------------Byrne-----------------------

----------------Graham------

I hope to god we can give new contracts to Duffy and Marshall it would provide so much more optimism and a solid bone to build from with Graham, Marshall, Duffy, Lowe, Steele, Stokes all here. I hope we can do a few more deals and sell off a few more deadwoods like Guthrie, O'Sulivan. Hopefully with the new additions we will then be looking quite good!

• Backroom

It goes without saying that having to bring in so many players this late is never a good thing. Most of them won't even have had a proper pre season.

With a decent manager it might be alright, but Coyle? Can't see it being anything other than a disaster.

I was at Stockport Saturday and from what I saw combined with the u 21s last season these lads wouldn't get in league two sides. With the exception of Wharton I wouldn't want any of the u21s anywhere near the first team. Its OK saying give youth a chance but there simply not good enough to come in and do a job especially when the first team is so weak. Its a disaster waiting to happen. We need to sign some quality and fast or league 1 is an inevitability. This isn't FM this is a tough league. Injuries and suspensions will happen and the kids are not ready. Christ on a bike would be my first signing because we need a miracle to stay up this season and anyone who thinks otherwise is completely deluded. You only need to look at the last few years in the league cup to see we can't rely on youth..... IMO of course

For me Gav, its all depends on who we signed between now and the end of the transfer window. depends on the quality we could have a good season, the transfer window is still open for the next 5 weeks

Yes I agree, but I'd be surprised if the quality gets much better to be honest, We're shopping in the bargain basement.

We don't have anyone to create chances for our only two strikers never mind a match winner

Get Marshall, Conway firing and that's a start but I agree - maybe Byrne is more advanced?

Get Marshall, Conway firing and that's a start but I agree - maybe Byrne is more advanced?

I really hope Marshall stays but I get the feeling he wants to leave. I thought he looked disinterested at times last season and some people have reported the same from friendlies.

Major problem we have is that we have no individual match winners... A Knockaert, Foristieri type that can unlock teams and produce something different.

Or a keeper we can rely on to snatch a few points back from the oppo.

Guthrie is a much better player than most people might think of him. Certainly when fit and his head is right, better than Akpan and Lowe( okay thats not saying much), but he is a handy player.

Archived