BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vs. Wigan Away

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Watched the 2nd half and whatvstruck me more than anything was, Byrne apart, how uncomfortable in possession our players are. Even with time on the ball the retention was shocking and the amount of times I saw the ball go wide to either full back only for them to turn and give it to the keeper was unbelievable.

The lack of fundamental footballing ability throughout this side is criminal.

Has been the case for many years, even dating back to when Hughes was in charge. It had gotten particularly bad by the time Allardyce was parachuted in, and the only way to do well in those circumstances is to create a game plan which nullifies numerous weaknesses and focuses on strengths. We had plenty of fools thinking otherwise and booing even when we were beating a team 3-0. Then Kean arrived and reality set in. We've been living in that reality ever since.

This season, we needed a Warnock. Somebody who can execute a gameplan that hides the weaknesses of poorer players. We didn't need a Coyle, who only knows how to play one way and is clueless when that doesn't work. He's just a more experienced Steve Kean - but mostly experienced in being a loser.

No question that we're going down should we stick with Coyle. He needs to be replaced before the month is out, if we are to harbour any hopes of retaining Championship status. It would still only be prolonging the inevitable, though. The quality of the squad will soon be so low that no manager will be able to make us competitive. I don't think we're quite at that point yet, but we're close.

Watched the 2nd half and what struck me more than anything was, Byrne apart, how uncomfortable in possession our players are. Even with time on the ball the retention was shocking and the amount of times I saw the ball go wide to either full back only for them to turn and give it to the keeper was unbelievable.

Wigan regular I've just spoken with said I genuinely feel sorry for you lot and we used to boo the same stuff. He said that was classic Coyle tactics and expect more of the same :(

Being serious though, after watching that I can't see a definite tactic or basic way of playing. Ridiculous. Marshall, Henley, Feeney, Graham, Lowe, Steele, et al all had shockers, Duffy made a few of his regular mistakes.

Only glimmer for me was Byrne - he will grow into a decent cm at this level this season but we can't start two inexperienced lads like him and darragh! Are we that hamstrung? I thought we had more central options.

All three goals are avoidable with organisation. Steele for freekick was ridiculous, he asked for a shot. First goal is poor closing down and reactions from both full backs. Granted a bit of a bounce.

Third goal summed the day up.

I think we have to accept that each and every facet of the club is broken beyond repair. Lies and spin galore from each and every angle

1. The owners are absent and from the odd time we hear anything from them, the want us to believe that things will improve and they are in it for the long term.

2. The first tier management (Cheston) Blames the fans for damaging the club, when not backing said club by purchasing a season ticket. Tells us that Coyle was the "stand out" candidate for the managers job. Also tells us that the aims for the season, are to finish higher than last season and be pushing around the play offs.

3. The manager tells us he has never heard of SEM and his representative is his solicitor. He is going to play fast attacking football and will bring a smile to the fans faces. The only fans with smiles on their faces at the minute, are those down the road, who allegedly were singing Owen Coyles, blue and white army today.

4. The players. Although I refuse to go and watch them, form what I am hearing and reading, they are not putting a shift in and are not fit to wear the shirt. Some fans are already suggesting that they are not playing for the manager, which I guess is no great surprise.

5. I am broken, as I will not pay to watch this, going on in front of my eyes. Sadly I can't help reading this forum and tuning in to the media when we play. I am going to have to endure the terrible feeling, almost every Saturday and I only wish we had someone at the club who hurts the same way.

Gav, me old fruit bat at the time of posting there was little between us. We then had a skewed shot which fell to a very lucky Griggs. As for the second, well, Steele should have had that every time! Since then..... Meh! Blind I ain't, but I refuse to stop supporting my team. "Through thick and thin" COYB!

We got hammered right up until they scored. The skewed shot only came because someone (Greer I think) backed off and didn't put a challenge in. They missed a sitt in the first 3 minutes.

We were outplayed the entir first half and the last 20 minutes and if you think otherwise your head is well and truly buried in that sand. 15 shots to 2 at half time.

Support your team but don't invent positives in your head that aren't really there.

Coyle's just an enthusiastic PE Teacher really. Trying to play open football with that defence and midfield is just asking for trouble. If he's going to play Byrne he needs to play him as the number 10 with two solid midfielders behind him.

Hopefully Venky's advisor will return to Venky Towers and advise Venky's to sell.

Bloody fans again. We'd be back in prem under Seneca, if we didn't have fans turning up! It's all their fault...

Thanks a lot the 2.5k fans who went today, you obviously cost us 3 goals.

Being serious though, after watching that I can't see a definite tactic or basic way of playing. Ridiculous. Marshall, Henley, Feeney, Graham, Lowe, Steele, et al all had shockers, Duffy made a few of his regular mistakes.

Only glimmer for me was Byrne - he will grow into a decent cm at this level this season but we can't start two inexperienced lads like him and darragh! Are we that hamstrung? I thought we had more central options.

All three goals are avoidable with organisation. Steele for freekick was ridiculous, he asked for a shot. First goal is poor closing down and reactions from both full backs. Granted a bit of a bounce.

Ah its the clappers fault ..what a set of tw@ts spending their hard earned money to go to another town and support their team ...

Meanwhile ..back on the beach ...you know who you are ..

Watched the 2nd half and what struck me more than anything was, Byrne apart, how uncomfortable in possession our players are. Even with time on the ball the retention was shocking and the amount of times I saw the ball go wide to either full back only for them to turn and give it to the keeper was unbelievable.

We were like Brazil in spells of that second half compared to the first.

a touch harsh ...

agreed

Fans emotions are running high it's gone beyond breaking point so some will just rant at anyone who don't see what VENKY scum have done to are club and just carry on like its the norm,so why don't you mods just delete the post and leave it at that ?

Take out Duffy and even Marshall and on paper we have a really poor squad. But then, even with those two playing, we are crap.

We need new players who will IMPROVE and not supplement the squad. The fans can see it and Lambert could see it.

Meanwhile, Gallagher has been brought in to 'push Graham and Stokes'; Brown is waiting in the wings (probably for Duffy to be sold) to be cover; and Lowe (somebody we need to be on the bench) has been made captain, first choice start and automatic first team player. All of these decisions are down to Coyle. If his hands are tied then he has the choice not to put up with it. Therefore the buck stops with him on the playing side.

As far as the condition the club is in, that is all down to Venkys. If Coyle doesn't walk, he will be in charge for the foreseeable future. The fans still 'getting behind the boys' will accept staying up as success (because they do not look long term and whether this is sustainable). Therefore, whilst we are mathematically not in trouble, they will give Coyle plenty of rope. This means that he will be defended to the hilt so he will have a mandate to continue regardless of results. Venkys will not sack him, and those fans left will not collectively call for his head. Because... "well, what would be the point".

We are all agreed that until Venkys go we not going to improve. The debate is down far the fans will go to support the club. Some think that supporting the club as a league outfit WITH Venkys is the noble way to go, and will stick around regardless of Venkys. Others think that returning to support the club WITHOUT Venkys - even if that means non-league football - is more noble, and will stay away until we are rid of them. The proof is in the pudding.

The only thing we know for sure is that WITH Venkys, things continue to go from bad to worse, that it will get indefinitely worse if they leave is only speculation. So do we want to continue watching league football for a minimum of two more seasons, or could we rally in League Two with Seneca and the Rovers Trust picking up the pieces?

We got hammered right up until they scored. The skewed shot only came because someone (Greer I think) backed off and didn't put a challenge in. They missed a sitt in the first 3 minutes.

We were outplayed the entir first half and the last 20 minutes and if you think otherwise your head is well and truly buried in that sand. 15 shots to 2 at half time.

Support your team but don't invent positives in your head that aren't really there.

Wow! I'm "inventing" positives now? Perhaps you should read my post again and try and read it without the anger that goes along with yet another disappointing and humiliating defeat?

Well put.

Archived