BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

TRUE story A.R.A?   Relegation was nothing to do with l) losing Hanley & Duffy and 2) Coyle.

Not sure what Graham was supposed to do about that.?

Rhodes has been found out at Boro and Wednesday.  Good finisher but a complete luxury player. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Graham could offer a bit more, but if you compare the two, I think Graham's career eclipses Jordan's based on his top level appearances and goals.

When you look at the fee Boro paid for Rhodes, you could say we were luck, he wasn't found out sooner.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why do you feel sorry for Rhodes? he wanted to leave Rovers for about 10 months before he got his move. I will say this he wanted to leave here and since leaving here he has done zero and another player who has barely played since leaving here. He is a finisher who has earned a lot of money since joining us and since moving to Boro and Sheff Wednesday.

I would take Graham over Rhodes every day of the week. Better all round player

Duff, Nzonzi, Modeste, Kalinic, Given have

But players like Santa Cruz, Bentley, Samba, Hanley and Gestede have done zero since leaving Rovers. all move for the cash.

Gestede and Hanley barley played since leaving here. Hanley last season at Newcastle barely played and was awful in any games he played in. another waste of a career. Gestede did nothing at Villa and now at Boro where he is about 5th choice.

Chaddy are you sure you would take Graham instead of Rhodes ?

Rhodes scored 28 goals in his first season at Rovers, 25 the second and 21 the third... 83 goals in total, we have not had an profilic striker of that calibre since dare I say Alan Shearer...ok not really but you may see what I mean.

ae

last season Graham scored 13..

Graham should at least muster 25 this season otherwise its a failure.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

TRUE story A.R.A?   Relegation was nothing to do with l) losing Hanley & Duffy and 2) Coyle.

Not sure what Graham was supposed to do about that.?

Rhodes has been found out at Boro and Wednesday.  Good finisher but a complete luxury player. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Graham could offer a bit more, but if you compare the two, I think Graham's career eclipses Jordan's based on his top level appearances and goals.

Just thought the thread needed livening up ;), but was also thinking of the Championship season (Rhodes first with us?) when his goals and points they earned did keep us up.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People seem to forget Rhodes wanted out and he got his way. He cant complain about it now. Lambert wanted him out aswell tho

Did he? Or did he know he was being hawked around rival clubs and eventually decided after 3 transfer windows of people trying to generate bids for him that he'd had enough?

Very convenient once again that the most expensive and saleable player at the club 'wanted' to leave just as Venkys were deciding to cash in on everyone. Just like Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Marshall and the rest. I really wish people would stop laying the blame at the feet of the players and look to the top where I'm almost certain the blame really lies.

Rhodes doesn't strike me as the sort who would get too big for his boots or be unreasonable. The PR department might have been able to play that card with Gestede/Duffy. They tried to turn the fans against Cairney and blame him for his departure until he made it clear with his comments that he had never even thought about a move never mind demanded one, and I think we can all agree now that particular piece of shocking business was done without Bowyer or Cairney knowing anything about it as the lowlife in the shadows at the club made their move.

To my knowledge there was one occasion when Rhodes went public with a desire to move and that was in the summer of 2015 when he was quoted as saying he wanted to move to Middlesbrough. When that move didn't materialse he stayed for another 6 months and scored another 10 goals which may well have been the difference in surviving that season.

Fortunately for Venkys and their associates, on getting rid of Bowyer they managed to find a manager quite happy to see the back of Rhodes, presumably on the basis he would be getting the neck end of £10 million to reinvest into his own players.

Poor Rovers though. Amazing how we keep getting these players who have their heads turned by other clubs. Nothing at all to do with owners having a selling agenda regardless of the damage it does to the squad and club's fortunes.

1 minute ago, lraC said:

When you look at the fee Boro paid for Rhodes, you could say we were luck, he wasn't found out sooner.

I would put it more as.You could say the Rao's where lucky he wasn't found out sooner

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

OK for League One, providing the wage is right, though not sure why the need for him ahead of some strikers.

Can't see the point of signing him full time after signing Whittingham, Dack etc plus retaining Evans.  Still think Evans is being pushed in the shop window so it might make sense if he was to go.

Agree this is Spearings level really and last time he was here he just didn't fit into our system and wasn't better than what was already here. Now it might be different but only on cheap wages it's a concern he was a big paid player at Bolton and who keeps trying to push him here and why.

Just now, tomphil said:

Still think Evans is being pushed in the shop window so it might make sense if he was to go.

I'm convinced this is taking place. No chance of selling him after being out injured all last season so there's a need to get him fully fit and firing. A goal and good run out on Tuesday will have done some good.

Hope I'm wrong because I think when fit he's probably the best we've got or are likely to get but throw in his international status and his new contract in January 2016 and there's some money to be had there.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Did he? Or did he know he was being hawked around rival clubs and eventually decided after 3 transfer windows of people trying to generate bids for him that he'd had enough?

He wanted away, the deal was agreed and then Big Baz blocked it. He then ran to the press saying he wanted away because he had been told the club would sell him (probabaly by Shaw) . Lambert then convinced Big Baz to sell a year later.

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Very convenient once again that the most expensive and saleable player at the club 'wanted' to leave just as Venkys were deciding to cash in on everyone. Just like Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Marshall and the rest. I really wish people would stop laying the blame at the feet of the players and look to the top where I'm almost certain the blame really lies.

Rhodes doesn't strike me as the sort who would get too big for his boots or be unreasonable. The PR department might have been able to play that card with Gestede/Duffy. They tried to turn the fans against Cairney and blame him for his departure until he made it clear with his comments that he had never even thought about a move never mind demanded one, and I think we can all agree now that particular piece of shocking business was done without Bowyer or Cairney knowing anything about it as the lowlife in the shadows at the club made their move.

To my knowledge there was one occasion when Rhodes went public with a desire to move and that was in the summer of 2015 when he was quoted as saying he wanted to move to Middlesbrough. When that move didn't materialse he stayed for another 6 months and scored another 10 goals which may well have been the difference in surviving that season.

Fortunately for Venkys and their associates, on getting rid of Bowyer they managed to find a manager quite happy to see the back of Rhodes, presumably on the basis he would be getting the neck end of £10 million to reinvest into his own players.

Poor Rovers though. Amazing how we keep getting these players who have their heads turned by other clubs. Nothing at all to do with owners having a selling agenda regardless of the damage it does to the squad and club's fortunes.

Did Bowyer not want to sell Rhodes to Hull only for the owners to put a block on it?

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Did Bowyer not want to sell Rhodes to Hull only for the owners to put a block on it?

Not sure. Bowyer certainly gave the impression that Rhodes was on his way, whether that was pushed by Bowyer or him just accepting the situation wasn't clear. Hull at the time were in the Premier League so I suspect Bowyer felt we would have to sell and he had to do his best with whatever money came back to him from it. He probably didn't expect the owners to veto it at the 11th hour.

Comes back to my original point though. Whatever Rhodes/Bowyer wanted, it was quite obvious that someone was negotiating/dealing with Hull to sell Rhodes. Everyone expected it to happen and then all of a sudden the owners pull a rabbit out of the hat and stop the move happening. Everyone was left looking a bit silly, Steve Bruce fuming, Bowyer's plans changing, Rhodes missing out on the Premier League.

Still, he didn't moan, he knuckled down and scored another 20+ the following season, and then the next summer the same thing happens.

I can understand why by that stage he was probably a bit fed up of things and wanted to get out of here. That comes back to the owners - mixed messages - chaos - confusion - messing people around.

1 hour ago, den said:

You realise that Danny Graham played around 100 premier league games, top scoring in at least one of those seasons? Care to list Rhodes premier league record? He hasn't got one and there's a reason for that, - nobody in football believes he's good enough.

im afraid there's no comparison. 

Rhodes goals would of kept us in the championship and we would not be in league 1 now!

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Recurring themes aka groundhog day

Every few months certain themes reappear and the exact same conversations are had

Topic 1-Jordan Rhodes-good or not? 

Topic-2-Should Allardyce have been sacked

Any others? :lol:

There can't be any debate about topic 2 - the answer is simply no. And it's the moment we realised we had complete jokers as owners!

Archived