BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Mowbray has been biggin' Evans up a lot over the last few weeks so you'd think Him and Smallwood may be first choices for the 2 CM slots. Or Whiitingham. But surely a CD is the priority then he can also shove Mulgrew or Lenihan back into their favoured midfield roles. It makes no sense that he's prioritising another midfielder.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he is planning the Barca model of old by playing with no forwards and just loads of midfielders.

Does strike me as odd as well, surely we're more than stocked (at least compared to other positions) enough in midfield at the moment. I imagine he probably has ideas of getting a loan striker in but at the back we need someone who can improve on what we have and not a youngster.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Personally I never thought him good enough as he doesn't make a contribution other than goal scoring. I fully appreciate the value of that but in the modern game more is required of a top striker. I also know plenty disagree with me. 

I don't think anyone would argue that his all round game was lacking, but in happier times at the club before Venkys, Rhodes and Gestede would have fired us to the premiership, no doubt about that, and any manager worth his salt would have built his team around those 2 and seen success in the premiership also.

If only Carlsberg did.........

But we digress.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah it would be pretty pointless, unless this midfielder adds something different and is better than what we have I really don't see the point in bringing in another midfielder when we are short at centre half and up front.Mowbray must not see Tomlinson as a viable option to fill in this season which is a shame. Hope he gets a loan move if that is the case,we don't want another Mahoney situation on our hands

It's an odd one with Tomlinson as managers keep having a look and keep him around but he's not getting much of a chance. Certainly a loan would do him good you'd think.

Just now, tomphil said:

It's an odd one with Tomlinson as managers keep having a look and keep him around but he's not getting much of a chance. Certainly a loan would do him good you'd think.

Everytime ive seen him play he has impressed me, lots of energy, in players faces, can knock it around nicely too and knows where the goal is. Not sure why he is being overlooked so much but yeah, if he is going to be even further down the pecking order should a new midfielder come in, he should be loaned out to get minutes.

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Rhodes has made a hell of a chunk of money in recent years moving about on top of his over inflated wages plus he's got to the Prem but not had much chance. Realisation now that he's peaked and will be no more than a bit part player at a decent championship outfit, after all those years as king of the hill at Rovers & Hudds I think his motivation will have gone.

Never be the same player now imo, shame.  Even Steadiniho scored in the Prem :o

Can't agree with that tomphil, if Rhodes is one thing, its a very good professional, as he showed us several times whilst here.

But that lads gone, I still wish him all the best, his goals often brightened up a terrible time being a Rover, and we're worse off without him thats for sure. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I feel sorry for Rhodes, a genuine lad, good honest professional ruined by going to Boro and sitting on the bench for 12 months.

He's way out of our league now but give me Rhodes over Graham any day of the week.

why do you feel sorry for Rhodes? he wanted to leave Rovers for about 10 months before he got his move. I will say this he wanted to leave here and since leaving here he has done zero and another player who has barely played since leaving here. He is a finisher who has earned a lot of money since joining us and since moving to Boro and Sheff Wednesday.

I would take Graham over Rhodes every day of the week. Better all round player

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Has any player who left Rovers succeeded? Santa Cruz, Bentley, Samba, Jones, Duff, Shearer, Sutton, Hanley, Gestede, Rhodes etc has all failed since leaving the club Shearer a bit harsh but he had a better career at Rovers.. all Big money moves...

Duff, Nzonzi, Modeste, Kalinic, Given have

But players like Santa Cruz, Bentley, Samba, Hanley and Gestede have done zero since leaving Rovers. all move for the cash.

Gestede and Hanley barley played since leaving here. Hanley last season at Newcastle barely played and was awful in any games he played in. another waste of a career. Gestede did nothing at Villa and now at Boro where he is about 5th choice.

Just now, Gav said:

Can't agree with that tomphil, if Rhodes is one thing, its a very good professional, as he showed us several times whilst here.

But that lads gone, I still wish him all the best, his goals often brightened up a terrible time being a Rover, and we're worse off without him thats for sure. 

Inclined to agree, model pro so I probably worded it wrong. 'Hunger' instead of motivation, even Rhodes had that raw hunger for goals about him that gave him an edge. Never one to go flying around the pitch and he didn't have pace so he won't have lost that but the eye of the tiger that made him into what he was seems to have gone.

Then again a lot of it is tactics you need a team set up to supply him or someone else taking the attention of the defenders, Rhodes was often at his most effective when he seemed anonymous.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray has been biggin' Evans up a lot over the last few weeks so you'd think Him and Smallwood may be first choices for the 2 CM slots. Or Whiitingham. But surely a CD is the priority then he can also shove Mulgrew or Lenihan back into their favoured midfield roles. It makes no sense that he's prioritising another midfielder.

Havent Lenihan and Mulgrew always played at centre back under Mowbray? how do you that that is their favoured midfield roles?

to play he is looking to bring him another centre midfield cos he doubts whether Evans will make it through a full season which could be 60 games plus depending how well we do in the cups competitions. Also Whittingham and Smallwood could pick up injuries so he is getting cover.

Mowbray has already said that he wants another centre defender and striker

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Havent Lenihan and Mulgrew always played at centre back under Mowbray? how do you that that is their favoured midfield roles?

to play he is looking to bring him another centre midfield cos he doubts whether Evans will make it through a full season which could be 60 games plus depending how well we do in the cups competitions. Also Whittingham and Smallwood could pick up injuries so he is getting cover.

Mowbray has already said that he wants another centre defender and striker

Lenihan has played in midfield all the way through the youths hasn't he. His season on loan at Burton was in midfield.

Mulgrew has spent the majority of his career in Midfield.

They both played CB for Mowbray because there has been nobody else. That's why it is surprising he hasn't bought anyone. And id he needs cover for Evans because of injuries he certainly needs cover for the same reason for Mulgrew and Ward, and worryingly Lenihan is picking up injuries too.

My point was if he bought CB's who are accustomed to the rough-house world of League 1 he could push Mulgrew and Lenihan into midfield. He wouldn't then need a midfielder. Are Mulgrew and Ward really cut out for League 1 at CB? They were poor at Southend defensively, and as Richie Sharpe pointed out in the LT they were all  over the place against Coventry too. The signs are not good.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Inclined to agree, model pro so I probably worded it wrong. 'Hunger' instead of motivation, even Rhodes had that raw hunger for goals about him that gave him an edge. Never one to go flying around the pitch and he didn't have pace so he won't have lost that but the eye of the tiger that made him into what he was seems to have gone.

Then again a lot of it is tactics you need a team set up to supply him or someone else taking the attention of the defenders, Rhodes was often at his most effective when he seemed anonymous.

He started for Wednesday at the weekend ahead of Fletcher and Hooper didn't he?

I think it's a little early to say he is on a downward spiral.  He's still in a team that should be challenging for promotion and he started in the first team so you could argue that he's in a better position than any time at Rovers.

He is better with two up front though.  

I do think he was, in some ways, a little unlucky at Boro, seemed like the manager didn't want him but the chairman signed him anyway.

As for a midfielder, like others have said, I would have thought that. Tomlinson has shown enough to be 4th choice for a L1 team, I wonder if he trains poorly or TM doesn't trust him for some reason.

I'm coming round to the idea Lenihan and Mulgrew, although individually good and seemingly the two most wanted L1 centre backs, might not be a very good partnership as two converted midfielders.  Perhaps one of them should be moved into midfield and the oft mentioned hard nut centre back brought in.  The problem with that is we have 3 CMs, 2 brought in, that will be expecting to start the majority of matches already.  Whittingham didn't sign for the bench and I doubt Smallwood did either, I thought they both turned down other clubs because they expect to start regularly.

Whilst at Rovers Rhodes was linked to a few Premier League clubs and clubs with supposedly better prospects of promotion than Rovers. Back then it only seemed a matter of time before he would be playing in the top division. In the 18 months since he left he has been at Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday and scored 9 goals in that time. Karanka decided he didn't want him and given recent reports from Hillsborough I suspect its a matter of time before he is left out of their team as they are starting to realise the drawbacks to having him in the side. The presence of his dad on the coaching staff might help for a while but if they need promotion, as they surely do given their spending, then they can't afford to give him lots of time to come good.

Its a shame for the lad because I like him and his attitude and thought he was an outstanding professional at Rovers. But I reckon at the end of his career those days at Huddersfield in League One and Rovers in the Championship and 20+ a season will be the peak of his career and he'll struggle to rediscover that.

Just now, JHRover said:

Whilst at Rovers Rhodes was linked to a few Premier League clubs and clubs with supposedly better prospects of promotion than Rovers. Back then it only seemed a matter of time before he would be playing in the top division. In the 18 months since he left he has been at Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday and scored 9 goals in that time. Karanka decided he didn't want him and given recent reports from Hillsborough I suspect its a matter of time before he is left out of their team as they are starting to realise the drawbacks to having him in the side. The presence of his dad on the coaching staff might help for a while but if they need promotion, as they surely do given their spending, then they can't afford to give him lots of time to come good.

Its a shame for the lad because I like him and his attitude and thought he was an outstanding professional at Rovers. But I reckon at the end of his career those days at Huddersfield in League One and Rovers in the Championship and 20+ a season will be the peak of his career and he'll struggle to rediscover that.

He needs to stop following his Uncle Aggers round. I'm sure he'll come good again somewhere.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why do you feel sorry for Rhodes? he wanted to leave Rovers for about 10 months before he got his move. I will say this he wanted to leave here and since leaving here he has done zero and another player who has barely played since leaving here. He is a finisher who has earned a lot of money since joining us and since moving to Boro and Sheff Wednesday.

I would take Graham over Rhodes every day of the week. Better all round player

Graham over Rhodes cmon if we have kept hold of Rhodes we would still be in the championship now. I like Graham but he's not patch on Rhodes.

6 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

Graham over Rhodes cmon if we have kept hold of Rhodes we would still be in the championship now. I like Graham but he's not patch on Rhodes.

You realise that Danny Graham played around 100 premier league games, top scoring in at least one of those seasons? Care to list Rhodes premier league record? He hasn't got one and there's a reason for that, - nobody in football believes he's good enough.

im afraid there's no comparison. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Lenihan has played in midfield all the way through the youths hasn't he. His season on loan at Burton was in midfield.

Mulgrew has spent the majority of his career in Midfield.

They both played CB for Mowbray because there has been nobody else. That's why it is surprising he hasn't bought anyone. And id he needs cover for Evans because of injuries he certainly needs cover for the same reason for Mulgrew and Ward, and worryingly Lenihan is picking up injuries too.

My point was if he bought CB's who are accustomed to the rough-house world of League 1 he could push Mulgrew and Lenihan into midfield. He wouldn't then need a midfielder. Are Mulgrew and Ward really cut out for League 1 at CB? They were poor at Southend defensively, and as Richie Sharpe pointed out in the LT they were all  over the place against Coventry too. The signs are not good.

Didnt we try for centre back in Bostwick from Peterbrough?

Ive seen Lenihan play both positions tbh. Even right back under Coyle. 

We have 4 midfielders who can in centre midfield and wouldnt be looking for either to play in there. 

But You have made good points and we have different opinions. So we have agree to disagree

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40717176?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

Interesting table in there comparing staff costs to turnover. Apparently last season we were behind 7 other Championship clubs yet still operating well over 100% of turnover. Interesting that Bristol City, Derby and Brentford substantially higher yet all have managed to avoid FFP sanctions....

23 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

No one knows where we would have been with Rhodes. 

People seem to forget Rhodes wanted out and he got his way. He cant complain about it now. Lambert wanted him out aswell tho

He isnt the main striker there with them having 6 strikers there. 

Graham is a better all round striker than Rhodes. Rhodes is a finisher and nothing else. 

23 minutes ago, den said:

You realise that Danny Graham played around 100 premier league games, top scoring in at least one of those seasons? Care to list Rhodes premier league record? He hasn't got one and there's a reason for that, - nobody in football believes he's good enough.

im afraid there's no comparison. 

Rhodes kept us in the Championship. Graham failed that test.

End of TRUE story.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

End of TRUE story.

Chris Brown kept us in the Championship as well 

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

End of TRUE story.

TRUE story A.R.A?   Relegation was nothing to do with l) losing Hanley & Duffy and 2) Coyle.

Not sure what Graham was supposed to do about that.?

Rhodes has been found out at Boro and Wednesday.  Good finisher but a complete luxury player. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Graham could offer a bit more, but if you compare the two, I think Graham's career eclipses Jordan's based on his top level appearances and goals.

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Why not bring Gestede back on loan? Think he would Do well in league one with his height and ability to head the ball.

He's recently had a taste of the PL, doubt very much he'd want to drop any further than the Champo.....

Archived