BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

8 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

Rhodes goals would of kept us in the championship and we would not be in league 1 now!

Rhodes hardly scored in the championship last season so saying if we had him we would definitely have stayed up is nonsense.

When Rhodes was scoring for rovers he was playing in a much better side than Graham was last season.

Graham Has scored goals at a higher level and is a much better all round playing than Rhodes.Considering Graham missed quite a few games through injury 12 league goals wasn't a bad return.

Rhodes would not have scored 20 in the side of last season.

He should have been sold when Hull came in.We could have paired King and Gestede up front and spent a bit of the Rhodes money to have improved our central midfield

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, frosty said:

There can't be any debate about topic 2 - the answer is simply no. And it's the moment we realised we had complete jokers as owners!

I agree, but the alternative argument is that it was right to sack him, the problem was who we replaced him with :)

Anyway, this is the transfer thread 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Rhodes hardly scored in the championship last season so saying if we had him we would definitely have stayed up is nonsense.

When Rhodes was scoring for rovers he was playing in a much better side than Graham was last season.

Graham Has scored goals at a higher level and is a much better all round playing than Rhodes.Considering Graham missed quite a few games through injury 12 league goals wasn't a bad return.

He should have been sold when Hull came in.We could have paired King and Gestede up front and spent a bit of the Rhodes money to have improved our central midfield

But we wouldn't have done that would we

21 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

rumour going round the midfielder is Paul Gallagher

I was going to suggest him yesterday! I hope it is true. Very calm on the ball, good passer, can finish, experienced, Rovers fan - kind of player we need.

• Moderation Lead
36 minutes ago, gazsimm said:

and the fact is when Rhodes left we got relegated

Not exactly how it happened though, is it now?

We had the rest of the season with Danny Graham, then at the start of the next season, we sold Hanley and Duffy and were relegated at the end of that season (last season).

Funny how our minds can play tricks on us, isn't it?.......

28 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Rhodes was at Middlesbrough in the Premier League until the end of January playing 2nd fiddle to Alvaro Negredo under a manager who only plays one striker. Not really fair to criticise his scoring record in the Championship last season. He then went to Sheff Weds and scored 3 in 18 games, most of which were off the bench.

I think we'll end up loaning out Cory Evans to a championship club before the end of the window. He will be one of the top 2 or 3 highest paid players in the league, which is a luxury we can't afford with his injury record. Hence why Mowbray is talking up the signing of another midfielder in the press.

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's all about opinions but I know who I would rather have in the six yard box. Graham is good at what he does, but with Rhodes you are guaranteed goals if he gets selected week in week out which for some strange reason he does not. I know a few Boro fans and they were really annoyed with Karanka because he did not pick him more regularly because they thought he was the only real goal scorer they had on their books. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Rhodes was at Middlesbrough in the Premier League until the end of January playing 2nd fiddle to Alvaro Negredo under a manager who only plays one striker. Not really fair to criticise his scoring record in the Championship last season. He then went to Sheff Weds and scored 3 in 18 games, most of which were off the bench.

I watched him for Wednesday last season and he was poor?I'm not surprised he was on the bench in the premier league as he is in no way a premier league level player.

Nothing against the guy,honest professional,decent goal scorer at championship level but the rest of his game is so bad,I used to cringe watching him from the Blackburn end being brushed off the ball so easily.

Teams could push up against us as they knew we had no threat in behind.

What would Josh King be worth now if Bournemouth where to sell him?

6 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think we'll end up loaning out Cory Evans to a championship club before the end of the window. He will be one of the top 2 or 3 highest paid players in the league, which is a luxury we can't afford with his injury record. Hence why Mowbray is talking up the signing of another midfielder in the press.

I hope not :o

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I watched him for Wednesday last season and he was poor?I'm not surprised he was on the bench in the premier league as he is in no way a premier league level player.

Nothing against the guy,honest professional,decent goal scorer at championship level but the rest of his game is so bad,I used to cringe watching him from the Blackburn end being brushed off the ball so easily.

Teams could push up against us as they knew we had no threat in behind.

What would Josh King be worth now if Bournemouth where to sell him?

Around 25 million I would say.

On Bournemouth, it looks like Mahoney could start at the weekend. Definitely in the squad anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He is attacking alright, but I think he would be a good and popular signing 

Would be a signing based on sentimentality rather than reason imo. Spearing all day for me, played a key role in getting out of this league with Bolton last season.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Would rather see Tomlinson given the chance, myself. 

I'd take a punt on Gallagher on a one year sensible wage deal he still has something a bit different to offer albeit as a cameo but he can create stuff and give teams something to think about in the final 15 of games.

We've enough centre mids as it stands.

To be honest I think more than anything we need a no nonsense defender and I would snap the arm off coventry to sign Jordan Willis. He knows league One has played plenty of games and just what need. Lenihan I think will become a good CB in the long run and can only learn from Mulgrew. But overall i just feel our defenders are too nice and technical and the lack the grit, passion and aggression we need. Caddis for me needs to start Nyambe needs a little break to learn from him. I would change my back line to 

-----Caddis---Lenihan---Mulgrew----

Feeney--Gladwin/Evans--Smallwood--Williams

-----------------Bennett------------

----------------Graham----------------

Just now, roverstdt said:

To be honest I think more than anything we need a no nonsense defender and I would snap the arm off coventry to sign Jordan Willis. He knows league One has played plenty of games and just what need. Lenihan I think will become a good CB in the long run and can only learn from Mulgrew. But overall i just feel our defenders are too nice and technical and the lack the grit, passion and aggression we need. Caddis for me needs to start Nyambe needs a little break to learn from him. I would change my back line to 

Agree with the points you make but not the formation as i don't like 3 at the back. Any manager with nous would aim balls in behind Williams who's slow and if the centre man is slow to react as Mulgrew often is theres problems we saw it last season on the right.  

I know its only league 1 but theres a lot of direct balls hit forwards or to the channels in this league as soon as you concede possession up the other end and most teams have a direct running winger or two. 

53 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Funny how our minds can play tricks on us, isn't it?.......

"This year Halloween fell on a weekend..."

Wouldn't mind Spearing, truth be told. Got a bit of steel about him that we seem to sorely lack right now. Senitmental reasons, Gallagher would be great to see. It was exciting when he was emerging with Rovers, and I wish he could have kicked on with us. I was sad when Allardyce shipped him out to Leicester.

Anyway, I agree with most on here in thinking that we need a reliable forward and a CB with some grit.

38 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I prefer the old fashioned 11 on the field tactic myself, but I see the benefit in starting 9 as it gives the others more time to rest ;) No goalkeeper is risky too, but I assume in League 1 its last man back? 

Archived