BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Rhodes is a very lucky lad.  A footballer of very limited ability (poor technically and neither pace nor aggression) who will have made £millions plying his trade mainly in the Championship.

Some fans ridiculously even compared him with Shearer after he'd notched early on in his Rovers' career.

The Paul Gallagher rumours have been circulating for a few days now and that's from the Preston end as well.  Hope it happens - a very intelligent footballer with a bit of a nasty edge, would be a terrific signing.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Gallagher ran the show at Ewood when PNE beat us in 2016.

A great attacking addition IF free and on sensible money.  Also one of our own.

BUT...still not a pacy forward or big CB.  

THoughton he made a big difference when he came on for them at Ewood last season. Really took the game to rovers think he had a hand in the disallowed goal as well as the equaliser 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What type of a player is Gallagher? 

He left because he wasn't good enough and now he is returning(possibly) as a good signing. 

I heard from a good source at the time (no longer at the club so no longer a good source), that when he went out on loan in 2013 to Preston he really wanted too come back and Bowyer was interested in bringing him but the move didn't materialise and he signed for Preston permanently in the end I'm 2015. He obviously still cares about the club and if we could get him in I think he'd be a brilliant signing for this level. Hard work and ability more than good enough for league one. 

2 minutes ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

I think he left because Sam didn't fancy him, to be fair. He's a shrewd, industrious ball-playing midfielder with a little bit of bite and an eye for goal.

Anyone remember his stunning winner for us against Newcastl in 03/04?!

Class goal, I also remember him scoring against I think Chelsea in a game they won in the last minute with a wonder strike from Glen Johnson, he might have also had a goal disallowed that game too. That was the 03/04 season too 

Gally made his debut for Rovers as a teenager some 14/15 years ago. I remember his first goal for Rovers in a thumping home win against 'big club'.

I thought he was going to be a bit special, certainly had the talent, but, IMO, it all came a bit too soon for him and 'fame' got the better of him.

• Moderation Lead

I'm not usually one for obsessing over former players coming back, but Gallagher, I'd love to have back here.

I actually really admired his honesty in a tweet he made when at Leicester. A Leicester fan tweeted asking 'why are you still here?'

(He'd been bought for big money and was also on big money by Sven and was a perennial bench warmer) He replied: £££££. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He left because he wasn't good enough and now he is returning(possibly) as a good signing. 

Bit of flair about him but was lightweight although I think a few years in the champ and league 1 with PNE have toughened him up a bit. Probably needed that early doors when at Rovers but he was a very good impact sub way back then a youngster even in the Prem.

One of those odd players though he was to frail to play up front but not quite what you'd call a winger either, best in a front 3 probably but not many have the luxury of starting like that every week.

Always liked Gallagher, was always good on the ball, took him a long time to find a position, I think if he'd come along 10 years later he might have had a better career, now everyone wants a no. 10, if he was young playing in a 4-2-3-1 would have suited him

still unless Evans leaves I don't see a need for him and I do want Tomlinson to get a chance

I can't see anyone wanting to buy Evans with his injury record, would he even pass a medical? The interview he gave at the beginning of the season made it sound like his problems haven't completely gone away and are always going to need managing

3 hours ago, neophox said:

Chaddy are you sure you would take Graham instead of Rhodes ?

Rhodes scored 28 goals in his first season at Rovers, 25 the second and 21 the third... 83 goals in total, we have not had an profilic striker of that calibre since dare I say Alan Shearer...ok not really but you may see what I mean.

ae

last season Graham scored 13..

Graham should at least muster 25 this season otherwise its a failure.

Yes I would take Graham all day long over Rhodes.

Graham all round game is much better than Rhodes.

Graham scored 12 league goals in 35 games last season.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Eeee, I've missed a good old debate about Jordan Rhodes on here......:brfc:

yeah agree. cant miss a good old debate about a player who left 18 months

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

To my knowledge there was one occasion when Rhodes went public with a desire to move and that was in the summer of 2015 when he was quoted as saying he wanted to move to Middlesbrough. When that move didn't materialse he stayed for another 6 months and scored another 10 goals which may well have been the difference in surviving that season.

Didn't he want to join Boro on loan in March 2015 on a emergency loan deal?

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Did Bowyer not want to sell Rhodes to Hull only for the owners to put a block on it?

I think Bowyer do want to sell Rhodes and use the money to improve the squad overall. Plus he did enquire for Chris Wood who was at Leicester at the time.

49 minutes ago, Butty said:

I heard from a good source at the time (no longer at the club so no longer a good source), that when he went out on loan in 2013 to Preston he really wanted too come back and Bowyer was interested in bringing him but the move didn't materialise and he signed for Preston permanently in the end I'm 2015. He obviously still cares about the club and if we could get him in I think he'd be a brilliant signing for this level. Hard work and ability more than good enough for league one. 

he goes to the barbers quite often in Blackburn, passerinis, or whatever it's called. Was in there, first season after we got relegated and said he couldn't stand Nigel Pearson and wanted to come back to rovers, there was interest but Pearson wouldn't let him leave or something. Bowyer wasn't manager then though.

I work in football now and again and have been to quite a few games at deepdale and Gallagher is better than anything we currently have (better than Whittingham an Dack). He's very creative, excellent set piece taker, creative, clever player, can score a few goals and would also be good in the dressing room being a rovers lad. Would be a very good signing.

Gallagher used to turn out for a local Deaf Society 5 a side team locally from time to time, a few years back, when I was still refereeing. I'd always check with him that he was aware that other players might target him due to his pro status, but he was always very confident he could avoid any silliness, which he did. Nice lad, and a Rovers heart to boot. I wouldn't be averse to him coming back.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Gally made his debut for Rovers as a teenager some 14/15 years ago. I remember his first goal for Rovers in a thumping home win against 'big club'.

I thought he was going to be a bit special, certainly had the talent, but, IMO, it all came a bit too soon for him and 'fame' got the better of him.

He had done really well at youth and reserve, scoring for fun as I recall. Fame certainly got the better of him and I did hear from a person inside football, that he got involved in some unsavoury habits, for a while. Given that he has carved out a decent career for himself, those antics, were probably short lived.

18 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Gallagher used to turn out for a local Deaf Society 5 a side team locally from time to time, a few years back, when I was still refereeing. I'd always check with him that he was aware that other players might target him due to his pro status, but he was always very confident he could avoid any silliness, which he did. Nice lad, and a Rovers heart to boot. I wouldn't be averse to him coming back.

Apparently, he has missed much of the pre-season with a hamstring issue...

From Lancs Evening Post

"Gallagher missed a chunk of the pre-season programme because of a tight hamstring.

He only featured in two of the friendly games, so playing the full game at Accrington in addition to a 15-minute run as a substitute against Sheffield Wednesday was a big boost.
“From my point of view the one positive from the other night was playing 90 minutes,” Gallagher told the Post.“I need to play to get back my match fitness, so being out there for the full game was great.“A tight hamstring limited my training in pre-season but I’ve been back for the last week or so, enjoying training.“I’d got a bit of time on the pitch on the opening day so the Accrington game built on that...."

A bit like Josh Morris and Matt Derbyshire really. Local lads who came through the system at Rovers and broke into the first team though never really good enough to establish themselves as regulars in the 1st team during our Premier League days, had to drop down the divisions to progress their careers but now the tables have turned with the club sinking fast and they'd probably walk into our side.

Just now, JHRover said:

A bit like Josh Morris and Matt Derbyshire really. Local lads who came through the system at Rovers and broke into the first team though never really good enough to establish themselves as regulars in the 1st team during our Premier League days, had to drop down the divisions to progress their careers but now the tables have turned with the club sinking fast and they'd probably walk into our side.

Morris and Derbyshire were not blessed with the natural talent and football intelligence Gallagher had. If only Gallagher had been as level headed as Rhodes ........we would have had some player.

saw that Rangers are giving Harry Forrester away on a free transfer, i really hope he does not end up here, but he certainly fits into Venkys ideal price range, another footballer with a big ego and a bad attitude, much like our old 'friend' Stokes, who has wasted no time in settling in at Hibs, that big, totally undeserved pay off must have refocused him

20 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

saw that Rangers are giving Harry Forrester away on a free transfer, i really hope he does not end up here, but he certainly fits into Venkys ideal price range, another footballer with a big ego and a bad attitude, much like our old 'friend' Stokes, who has wasted no time in settling in at Hibs, that big, totally undeserved pay off must have refocused him

Phil Brown made him an offer at Southend, but he turned it down, said he wants to play in the championship.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Come off it at that time we were a perm team and he wasn't good  enough for us then .

Archived