BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Doncaster Rovers

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Graham just isn't working hard enough for the team. When he was on loan under Lambert he worked like a Trojan invariably as a lone striker. He would be absolutely knackered by full time. So far this season he just looks disinterested and strolls through the game.

There's no excuse for not working hard for it.

Playing devils advocate though, has Mowbray lost Graham's respect? Most strikers (especially at this level) don't want to be the target man. If he's lost interest, then, this will inevitably affect the rest of the team. 

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

Shocking display. Formation, tempo, mentality............all wrong. Struggling to recall if I've ever seen Rovers play with wing backs in 40 odd years of watching. Maybe they have but it can't have been memorable. Or successful for that matter. 

Ton must think that we have Vincent Candela and Cafu in our ranks. Williams and Caddis wouldn't look out of place in a pub team.

3 minutes ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

Shocking display. Formation, tempo, mentality............all wrong. Struggling to recall if I've ever seen Rovers play with wing backs in 40 odd years of watching. Maybe they have but it can't have been memorable. Or successful for that matter. 

Not exactly wing backs in their  day but Kevin Hird and John Bailey spring mind ....They would be ideal for the roles...

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This is a great worry considering he has already been recruiting to suit this style of play to the tune of about 10 players and there are still three weeks of the window left.

If he doesn't learn some quick lessons then he may be signing off our relegation battle early. But the only alternative is to replace him with someone who knows the division.

Personally I think he will persist with his style until it sees us in a position he cannot get out of, and then he will probably walk. He is not cut out for this level IMHO. He is too much of a purist.

A decent board would probably have kept him on after the end of last season and given him a ten game target before thinking about a contract extension. I can understand why they did it - in the interests of stability - but it blow means that they have a bigger pay off.

Personally I would be making enquiries already about a replacement. Mowbray has three more games.

The 'ten games' is out the window after this start.  Let's face it, lose next week at Bradford and then to the dingles and his position is untenable.  

24 minutes ago, J*B said:

I'd hire Shrimper as manager. There's often so much bullshit posted on this forum, it's good to see some straight talking experience of this league. 

Experience of this league (and the one below) is bittersweet 

16 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

If you don't set up to suit Grahams strengths, then don't play him.

simple!

Good point, which comes back to the manager. 

You simply cannot shoehorn players into the starting XI, because they're good individuals. 

Give me a team of 11 players working as a unit, over 11 good individuals any day of the week

4 hours ago, Buckshaw Rover said:

Yes... the plan is relegation!

According to Chads and co the plan was champions league. We've been mugged off good and proper and still many fans think we're going to bounce back.

22 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

Good point, which comes back to the manager. 

You simply cannot shoehorn players into the starting XI, because they're good individuals. 

Give me a team of 11 players working as a unit, over 11 good individuals any day of the week

Every time my friend.  All teams need workhorses.  Remember Mark Atkins?

Reminds me of watching Carlisle (working there at the time) and they went top of the old division 1.  No star players but hell did they work.  The one who stood out was a guy called Ray Train, think he might have gone to Bolton afterwards but work?  Probably Savage was his equivalent.

In the 1st half we seemed to be playing 3 centre halves, 3 defensive midifielders sat just in front of them, Bennett as the sole attacking midfielder and graham supported by him, with 2 fullbacks trying to act as attacking wingbacks when they are not, so in effect we were playing 8 defensive players at home to Doncaster.  It was no surprise to me that Graham and Bennett struggled as they were very isolated.  The half time sub "warm up" was embaressing compared to Doncasters, and Dack looked suprised when he was called on as a sub (although he did play ok when he came on).  Please Tony, play a proper 442 and see what the team can do!

1 hour ago, Shrimper said:

Leave it out. Those clever formations will earn you F all. 

Did we play that last week? Did Donny play that today? 

didn't Sheff Utd and Bolton play 3-5-2 last season and achieved top 2 whilst Millwall play 4-4-2 formation last season?

the season before didn't Wigan win the league by playing 4-2-3-1/3-4-3 formation to achieved promotion?

The formation and the team I selected is ones where we can use Chapman, Dack and Gladwin to their best impact on the team and Samuel gives us pace, strengthen and goal threat up front.

Could Dack play in 2 man centre midfield partnership? I don't think he could.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

He does, in the championship.

In league one, no matter how much he believes it, we won't be able to play around teams.

4-4-2, 2 banks of 4 out of possession, graft, grit, hard work and our quality would do the rest. 

see above

54 minutes ago, LDRover said:

You worked chaddy out quickly Shrimper, fair play to you.

another pathetic cheapshot by another poster on here.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

didn't Sheff Utd and Bolton play 3-5-2 last season and achieved top 2 whilst Millwall play 4-4-2 formation last season?

the season before didn't Wigan win the league by playing 4-2-3-1/3-4-3 formation to achieved promotion?

The formation and the team I selected is ones where we can use Chapman, Dack and Gladwin to their best impact on the team and Samuel gives us pace, strengthen and goal threat up front.

see above

Doesn't really matter what they played, it's not working for us.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

see above

I keep telling you - if there's nothing beating under that badge formations don't mean anything. It's a simple game , 11 v 11. If everybody has a better game than his immediate opponent normally you win.

27 minutes ago, pjt said:

In the 1st half we seemed to be playing 3 centre halves, 3 defensive midifielders sat just in front of them, Bennett as the sole attacking midfielder and graham supported by him, with 2 fullbacks trying to act as attacking wingbacks when they are not, so in effect we were playing 8 defensive players at home to Doncaster.  It was no surprise to me that Graham and Bennett struggled as they were very isolated.  The half time sub "warm up" was embaressing compared to Doncasters, and Dack looked suprised when he was called on as a sub (although he did play ok when he came on).  Please Tony, play a proper 442 and see what the team can do!

Bang on.

The problem isn't the 3 at the back. Nyambe and Mulgrew where okay, we need a big 6'4 lummox in between them.  The problem is the mess in front of them, all three centre mids are holding midfielders all coming short for the ball. It was ludicrous. 2 shocking wing backs.

I don't understand why Mowbray wasn't braver today. Play ur 3-4-3 Tony, it works with high pressing. Your two holding midfielders can sit deeper to protect, as both Smallwood and Evans will naturally do. 

I would play

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew

Feeney Evans S'Wood Chapman

Dack

Samuel Antonsson

At least Feeney has pace and Chapman looks tricky.

Everyone sees it a bit differently and I wasn't watching him closely but Graham has had a bit of a raw deal today I reckon. Completely isolated inbetween to lumping centre halves in the first half whilst the ridiculous tactics relied on Caddis & Williams to come forwards and ping in the ammo. Both tried hard but neither can cross the road nor have any pace whatsoever to beat a man or get back into position so DG is lurking about where he should be but no service then when a cross comes in it's over his head.

One ball into feet first half and he turned and got a shot off.  Although yes he wasn't moving about enough but I thought he put a shift in 2nd half from the off but again there was nothing coming in and when it did he's got the two really committed and alert centre backs literally throwing themselves to the ball before him. The complete polar opposite of our confused, static fairy boy defenders including Mulgrew who was comfy in possession as always but was guilty more than anyone all day of shirking and taking no responsibility just turning back inside every fooking time even when not being closed down.

Doncaster were there for the taking before that first goal but became a real different team after it.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

that's why I suggest us playing Dack just off Samuel with Chapman and Gladwin wide.

in a simple 4-2-3-1 formation.

What's simple is too play two strikers and two wingers who can run and cross the ball. That's what every other team does in this league and those tactics have made our "simple formations" look like the shambles they are in the first two games. 3 at the back is a no in this league, and playing one striker is a no in this league. Two up top next week please Mowbray.

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

What's simple is too play two strikers and two wingers who can run and cross the ball. That's what every other team does in this league and those tactics have made our "simple formations" look like the shambles they are in the first two games. 3 at the back is a no in this league, and playing one striker is a no in this league. Two up top next week please Mowbray.

Sheff Wed and Bolton both got promotion last season by playing 3-5-2 formation in this league

season before Wigan got promotion by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3 formations

• Backroom
7 hours ago, Tom said:

Shrimpers gave us an honest assessment and fair warning last week and fear Mowbray has done the same again, trying to be too cute with formations isn't a good thing in this league.

We can match any team 4-4-2 and wouldn't leave gaps.

Going for a 2-1 loss after seeing the team, worried now!

Right enough of the Shrimpers love in I called him out for being the messiah first as above! 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Sheff Wed and Bolton both got promotion last season by playing 3-5-2 formation in this league

season before Wigan got promotion by playing 4-2-3-1 and 3-43 formations

How many points did those teams win by changing to 4-4-2 when trailing in games? Our players aren't cut out for 3 at the back that much is clear too see.

Archived