Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Nuttall

Stuart

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Gav said:

Really Mercer? is that really you?

You think he's sickening and galling because he's so far refused to play a young lad that plays for a 3rd division under 23's dev team :lol:

Have a word with yourself, you should know better.

Come on Gav, it's far deeper than that and you should know better too.

In my view, we don't even look like a real team - there is no conviction, heads go down too easily, players 'go missing'.

We are now over a quarter way through the season, more than long enough to take a realistic view of our prospects, and rather than improving and gathering momentum we seem to be going rapidly backwards.

In the last week, we've lost away to a team 19th in the league and drawn at home to the rock bottom team in 24th place.  Add to that home losses to teams 17th and 18th in the table and our aspirations of promotion look hopeless.

Players like Caddis, Ward, Williams, Gladwin, Antonnson, Whittingham alongside the fading Conway and Graham are, IMV, the stuff of nightmares.

We have a bloody expensive Academy and I want to see lads who would die for the shirt given their chance.  The likes of Wharton, Doyle, Platt, Tomlinson and Nuttall and add young loanee Chapman to the mix.  We need some youthful zest and exhuberance which can be mixed with some of the steady experienced pros we have like Mulgrew, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett and even Conway and Graham.

Can anyone tell me Mowbray's preferred team structure and tactics let alone a 'Plan B' when things are going wrong.  I see his reign littered with poor signings, no team strategy, poor substitutions and a stubborn refusal to give the younger lads a go - they could hardly get worse results than we've seen against the might of Southend, Donny, Wimbledon, Oldham and Plymouth.

Like many, I'm fed up of seeing the arse torn out of the club.  I think it's a shambles and there's no sign we've yet reached the bottom of the hell we seem destined for.  

5 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Why does he think that 17 year old Harper  deserves a chance but 20 year old Nuttall doesn't? Something doesn't add up. Both are untested at this level but Nuttall has more first team experience than Harper.

4 hours ago, david brent said:

To further back your point 17 year old loanee Harper was thrown into the deep end, namely starting away at a tough team in Scunthorpe after being with the club a couple of weeks.

Yet Mowbray refuses to put 20 year old Nuttall on a 7 Man bench, even at home to a team bottom of the league. Plus he is a permanent signing and has been with us a few months.

i agree something is amiss. 

Good posts. It becomes even more baffling when considering also the following.

- Chapman performs for the first team but can't start.

- It's ok for Graham to be getting up to speed in October - arguably our best player and biggest wage earner - is ok to not be performing at his best level 2/3 months into the season. Do we really have such low standards and/or such craven comments to justify keeping the kid out?

9 hours ago, Biz said:

We aren't in a scenario blessed with time. The likelihood hood is simple, if Nuttall comes on and misses that chance that Gladwin did, he and Mowbray are pilloried. 

But they are anyway. But if Nuttall scores it ......

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Anyone remember Norman Whiteside becoming the youngest player then ever to appear in the World Cup in Spain in 1982 after only just turning 17 years of age !  After the World Cup, he started the season leading United's attack !

I think Mowbray is so sickening and galling.  His attitude to our young players is, IMV, beyond the pale.  Sooner we get rid of the idiot, the better.

Different levels to that of course and us now slightly but Lenny Johnrose for those who remember him. No great shakes but thrown in did a brief job, only turned out good enough for the lower leagues and a @#/? team in the end but did a good job for us when thrown in with that raw fearlessness of youth, are we really in such a snowflake generation now that they are so mentally brittle or is it a manager lacking bottle and afraid to upset the bigger boys by including an upbeat young striker in good form on the bench ?

Just think Souness putting Stead & Gallagher in v Boro away in the Prem because he wanted a reaction from Cole & Yorke, a manager with a real set of knackers !

It's no brainer and it serves two purposes, show youth will get a consideration at least and show these comfort zone guys that they will get left out or off the bench for a hungry kid if their application isn't spot on week in week out.  It's the way it should be at this level and it's not like messing with kids at the back or midfield it shouldn't cost games but could potentially be a game saver / winner, like said if it doesn't work it doesn't work and back to the drawing board for him but really how many have come off the bench and changed games for Rovers this season ?

Not many except 19 year old not very experienced Harry Chapman.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

I use an anology at work about confidence being like a house of cards, takes time to build up and seconds to dismantle. Matt Jansen is a good example for us, albeit an injury on a scooter and long layoff changed him as a player.

That's not a good example of what you are trying to prove, its an awful one. Matty had an accident which resulted in severe brain injuries and changed his life. He didn't "lose confidence" he lost his career.

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

In my view, we don't even look like a real team - there is no conviction, heads go down too easily, players 'go missing'.

We are now over a quarter way through the season, more than long enough to take a realistic view of our prospects, and rather than improving and gathering momentum we seem to be going rapidly backwards.

In the last week, we've lost away to a team 19th in the league and drawn at home to the rock bottom team in 24th place.  Add to that home losses to teams 17th and 18th in the table and our aspirations of promotion look hopeless.

Players like Caddis, Ward, Williams, Gladwin, Antonnson, Whittingham alongside the fading Conway and Graham are, IMV, the stuff of nightmares.

We have a bloody expensive Academy and I want to see lads who would die for the shirt given their chance.  The likes of Wharton, Doyle, Platt, Tomlinson and Nuttall and add young loanee Chapman to the mix.  We need some youthful zest and exhuberance which can be mixed with some of the steady experienced pros we have like Mulgrew, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett and even Conway and Graham.

Can anyone tell me Mowbray's preferred team structure and tactics let alone a 'Plan B' when things are going wrong.  I see his reign littered with poor signings, no team strategy, poor substitutions and a stubborn refusal to give the younger lads a go - they could hardly get worse results than we've seen against the might of Southend, Donny, Wimbledon, Oldham and Plymouth.

Like many, I'm fed up of seeing the arse torn out of the club.  I think it's a shambles and there's no sign we've yet reached the bottom of the hell we seem destined for.  

Good post Stuart.  Still, ongoing fundamental issues in this club.  This lack of pride in the shirt and showings of real passion and desire in the field have been absent for years.

Mowbary, as I have said, like him, enjoy listening to him for the most part but I have real issue with him not even hinting at giving our youth a chance.  Does anyone believe that that does not change ALL the players mindsets, it is a hell of a way to demotivate everyone.

If it was me I'd be singing load and clear bleed for this team or I'll put someone in who will.  @#/? to the experience, Gladwin, SIT DOWN, Nuttall get in there.  S'what I'd do.

If we think about it, since Venkies trapped, have we had any manager who have.given our young uns a real go?

Just don't feel Mowbary is going to get us up, mid table at best, oh for an early years Souness right now, not the one that lost the plot.

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

You used words like 'sickening' and 'galling' to describe the manager Mercer? Calling the Owners that I'd certainly agree with but not the manager? and no amount of waffle like the above can hide that fact, way over the top, brfcs-esq.

Then you go on to talk about being sick of seeing 'The arse torn out of the club' but quite clearly want the manager out :wacko:

As for the youth players being given a chance, it's the topic of the week on here,  from a bunch of posters that have probably never seen the majority of them kick a ball and nobody calls for these Players when we win a game, strange that.

One last question for you, how many managers in your Rovers supporting career have turned us into league winners/promotion winners in 6 months? Without untold riches at their disposal? 

18 hours ago, arbitro said:

Although it helps it's not entirely about goals. Anybody who has seen us lately will know that the movement of our strikers hasn't been too good. I have read a few (and agree with them) that on several occasions our best passer of the ball has looked to play in the channels or in behind and in front of him were players expecting a ball into feet with their backs to goal. Nuttall would give us something we haven't really got in our current strike force.

As far as I can see all our main strikers first movement is towards the player with the ball. We should have signed someone with a bit of pace who's first movement is away from the ball and into the channels. I've not seen Nuttall play so I can't say which way he plays.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You used words like 'sickening' and 'galling' to describe the manager Mercer? Calling the Owners that I'd certainly agree with but not the manager? and no amount of waffle like the above can hide that fact, way over the top, brfcs-esq.

Then you go on to talk about being sick of seeing 'The arse torn out of the club' but quite clearly want the manager out :wacko:

As for the youth players being given a chance, it's the topic of the week on here,  from a bunch of posters that have probably never seen the majority of them kick a ball and nobody calls for these Players when we win a game, strange that.

One last question for you, how many managers in your Rovers supporting career have turned us into league winners/promotion winners in 6 months? Without untold riches at their disposal? 

In the last seven years, the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out.  Full stop.

Yes, I have lost patience in Mowbray and want him out. 

Like many, he initially talked a good game but in my view, he's been hugely disappointing.  He was given as free a hand as you would like in summer even admitting there was money left in the pot when the window closed.  We are over a quarter a way into the season and look nothing like a promotion outfit.  I think his signings have been poor, he has no consistent and coherent game plan (never mind a Plan B), he doesn't influence the game from the touchline, his substitutions are baffling and he wont give the young players a chance.  We've lost home games to Wimbledon (18th in league), Donny (17th in league) and away games to Oldham (19th in league) and Southend (15th in league) and managed to draw with rock bottom (24th in league) Plymouth and their 18 year sub goalie in mid week.  IMV, 'sickening and galling' are not inappropriate.  We aren't quite in Jim Iley or Steve Kean territory (worst two managers in my time watching Rovers) but we aren't too far away.

As for youth players / development squad, I have seen scores of games over the years especially when my lads were younger.  I do still go to see what's happening but far less frequently.

Last Saturday at Oldham was simply abysmal but I will now be there again this afternoon as my Plan A for today changed this morning but, unlike Mowbray, I have a Plan B !

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

In the last seven years, the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out.  Full stop.

Yes, I have lost patience in Mowbray and want him out. 

Like many, he initially talked a good game but in my view, he's been hugely disappointing.  He was given as free a hand as you would like in summer even admitting there was money left in the pot when the window closed.  We are over a quarter a way into the season and look nothing like a promotion outfit.  I think his signings have been poor, he has no consistent and coherent game plan (never mind a Plan B), he doesn't influence the game from the touchline, his substitutions are baffling and he wont give the young players a chance.  We've lost home games to Wimbledon (18th in league), Donny (17th in league) and away games to Oldham (19th in league) and Southend (15th in league) and managed to draw with rock bottom (24th in league) Plymouth and their 18 year sub goalie in mid week.  IMV, 'sickening and galling' are not inappropriate.  We aren't quite in Jim Iley or Steve Kean territory (worst two managers in my time watching Rovers) but we aren't too far away.

As for youth players / development squad, I have seen scores of games over the years especially when my lads were younger.  I do still go to see what's happening but far less frequently.

Last Saturday at Oldham was simply abysmal but I will now be there again this afternoon as my Plan A for today changed this morning but, unlike Mowbray, I have a Plan B !

You'd have had Kendall down the road then reading the above.....

We're 2 points off the playoffs and you want him out? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? 

Thankfully its only being peddled on Brfcs and in cyber La La Land, I never heard one dissenting voice on Tuesday, not one, nor at Shrewsbury either.

TM has to start winning games, I agree, but some of the stuff being written on here is the stuff of fantasy, and some of the older posters like yourself should know better.

One thing we both agree on I'm sure, we want a convincing win today, enjoy the game.

Just now, Gav said:

You'd have had Kendall down the road then reading the above.....

We're 2 points off the playoffs and you want him out? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? 

Thankfully its only being peddled on Brfcs and in cyber La La Land, I never heard one dissenting voice on Tuesday, not one, nor at Shrewsbury either.

TM has to start winning games, I agree, but some of the stuff being written on here is the stuff of fantasy, and some of the older posters like yourself should know better.

One thing we both agree on I'm sure, we want a convincing win today, enjoy the game.

I'm an older poster in more ways than one. What should I know better about ?  Don't pee in my ear and then tell me it's raining.

Our most  recent form has been the form of a team going down not that of a team going up. At Oldham we were very, very poor. More worryingly I can see no signs of where a significant improvement can come from. Ok Downing and Evans may be back today and they may make us harder to play against but their return won't address our lack of fire power up front.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm an older poster in more ways than one. What should I know better about ?  Don't pee in my ear and then tell me it's raining.

Our most  recent form has been the form of a team going down not that of a team going up. At Oldham we were very, very poor. More worryingly I can see no signs of where a significant improvement can come from. Ok Downing and Evans may be back today and they may make us harder to play against but their return won't address our lack of fire power up front.

You should know better than to be calling for the managers head when we're 2 points of the playoffs and only a few weeks into the season.

You should also have realised by now that changing the manager once a season ends one way, badly! hence the fact we're in 3rd division TS!

Just now, Gav said:

You should know better than to be calling for the managers head when we're 2 points of the playoffs and only a few weeks into the season.

You should also have realised by now that changing the manager once a season ends one way, badly! hence the fact we're in 3rd division TS!

At this moment in time I'm not calling for his head but if things don't improve rapidly I will be. Sticking with failing managers in the past hasn't done us any favours either. Both Kean and Coyle should have gone much earlier than they actually did.

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

For me this is the crux of the matter, and at the moment I am not enjoying games.

Tuesday was probably the best Rovers performance I've seen in a long time rigger, frustrating to have missed so many sitters I agree, but we battered them?

Archived