BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Chapman

2 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Burton 1 Gillingham 1

Described as "liv0ely" today by the BBC. Why have we sent a winger who can cross the ball on loan when we're finally playing a big lummox up front?

Mowbray Out. 

because Mowbray cant handle players with personality! he's like a P. E. teacher and only pics players that kiss his behind. 

25 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

So, the obvious question - why did he sign him 3 times ?

wouldn't be suprised if the decision to extend his contract was made by someone else,  most likely they know he's sort of a favorite with the fans and didn't want him just leaving for free and doing well elsewhere 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

44 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

wouldn't be suprised if the decision to extend his contract was made by someone else,  most likely they know he's sort of a favorite with the fans and didn't want him just leaving for free and doing well elsewhere 

That ship has sailed

It is baffling he got a new deal only to be loaned out though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That ship has sailed

It is baffling he got a new deal only to be loaned out though 

yeh, just meant more that there was a lot of optimism around him at the end of last season after his fairly fruitful stint at Shrewsbury. So just letting him leave on a free would have seen a bit of a fan backlash had he joined another club and carried on his good form there... 

3 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

yeh, just meant more that there was a lot of optimism around him at the end of last season after his fairly fruitful stint at Shrewsbury. So just letting him leave on a free would have seen a bit of a fan backlash had he joined another club and carried on his good form there... 

I don't think they are aware ,or at least care, about fans opinions. If they were why would they do half the things they do?? For example pointless new contracts for other dross over the years 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

7 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Reflecting on someone else's suggestion, it seems feasible that Chapman's year extension was made with compensation income in mind. Next summer, when his contract likely expires, Chapman will still be under 24 years old (he turns 24 in November 2022), so, as far as I can tell - and I'm not well read on this, so do correct me, Rovers will be entitled or able to claim some compensation for him from his next club - if Rovers offer him a new deal and he rejects. I wonder if Chapman's agents (Wasserman, according to Transfermarkt, who also represent Dack, Johnson and Brereton) will also benefit from a compensation award?

Whilst the upfront compensation may be limited, perhaps, Rovers may be gambling on contingent payments for appearances and promotions for his future club and a percentage of the sell on fee. They will also be assuming that Chapman turns down a new contract offer.

If compensation is on Rovers mind, it seems a gamble, with a lot of unknowns. They have no idea what the future club will agree to or the Comp Board will offer and they have invested in Chapman for another year without any contribution to the club on the pitch. It is more than apparent that the Rovers management team haven't rate Chapman, so, that will surely count against them in any compensation bid. 

It is rather contradictory an option and, perhaps, lends a little weight to the speculation that the club rate him as a talent but not his commitment or attitude - something that, I believe, Mowbray has accused Chapman of in the past.

Edited by riverholmes

• 2 months later...

Given that Harry Chapman isn't playing much at Burton, I think that, if it was possible, the club should recall him and have him in the squad as Poveda's replacement. It would be another sharp about-turn by Mowbray, who has, apparently, fallen out with Chapman, but the club extended his contract for a year, in the summer, and he showed some glimpses of a desire to contribute early this season. 

There might be doubts about Chapman's attitude and his struggles at Burton (after an excellent loan spell at Shrewsbury previously) raise further questions, but my estimation is that he has real talent and will be an asset as an impact sub, at least, if motivated and fit. 

Edited by riverholmes

I think Chapman has given up a bit. He's at Burton and not playing regularly, with zero goals or assists. Everybody knows he has talent so for that to be the situation I can only assume he's not applying himself. 

I'm sure there is more behind the scenes. My bet is he just isn't fit and has other interests that trump his desire to be a top footballer. I question Mowbray a plenty but I'm certain there's stuff behind the scenes that led him to never having faith in Chapman.

We need to put this one to bed. Does he have raw talent? Yes, but he’s now 24 and still shows no sign of the professionalism needed to make it as a pro. Poor attitude, overweight and now struggling to get into the side at Burton Albion.

It’s a shame and a waste, but he isn’t the first and he won’t be the last to find himself out of the game and wondering why he threw it all away…

• Like 2

How many chances does he need before the penny drops ?

My guess is hes never really fully recovered from his injury hes never looked the same and it will have taken its toll mentally. If i was his agent i'd be looking around getting him a gig elsewhere whilst hes still on a contract. A fresh start all around needed he can't keep draining wages here.

Sadly i think even lower down the pyramid is where he belongs now but there's surely a club out there he can do a job for, IF he really wants it.

• Like 1

I think for his sake and ours, the best thing would be to let him go on a free and see if we can slip a large sell on clause there if we can. 

You can make an argument that he's been messed around slightly, you can make an argument that he's been unlucky with the timing of injuries, and you can make an argument that he doesn't have what it takes mentally to make the most of his talent in professional football. The end result though is the same - he's entering mid career and he's a million miles away from where we need a first teamer to be at our level (never mind next level where we should be aiming for).

Exciting player to watch in L1, genuinely wish him the best, but the only way I can ever see us getting any value from him is that he can eventually put some form together for a small club and we might get a few hundred grand from him moving on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Given that Harry Chapman isn't playing much at Burton, I think that, if it was possible, the club should recall him and have him in the squad as Poveda's replacement.

Its time Rovers allow Chapman to move on in January permanent. He ain't going to part of this Rovers squad going forward and rightly so. 

13 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Given that Harry Chapman isn't playing much at Burton, I think that, if it was possible, the club should recall him and have him in the squad as Poveda's replacement. It would be another sharp about-turn by Mowbray, who has, apparently, fallen out with Chapman, but the club extended his contract for a year, in the summer, and he showed some glimpses of a desire to contribute early this season. 

There might be doubts about Chapman's attitude and his struggles at Burton (after an excellent loan spell at Shrewsbury previously) raise further questions, but my estimation is that he has real talent and will be an asset as an impact sub, at least, if motivated and fit. 

I would hope we would sign someone far better to replace Poveda. Chapman is a busted flush 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We won’t really know what Dack is going to be capable of in January.

I agree there. It will takes weeks for Dack to get game fitness and I think anything from him in this current season is a bonus and we should be focus on taking it easy with him and don't expect much from him

5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think for his sake and ours, the best thing would be to let him go on a free and see if we can slip a large sell on clause there if we can. 

You can make an argument that he's been messed around slightly, you can make an argument that he's been unlucky with the timing of injuries, and you can make an argument that he doesn't have what it takes mentally to make the most of his talent in professional football. The end result though is the same - he's entering mid career and he's a million miles away from where we need a first teamer to be at our level (never mind next level where we should be aiming for).

Agree with this, except for the million miles away part (although he seems to be regressing in his latest loan for sure). In some of his cameos at this level I've felt he is still a threat. But it's difficult when you're in and out of the side all the time and can't find your rhythm, plus it takes its toll mentally. Look how much Brereton struggled by only being played fleetingly off the bench a lot, and quite blatantly struggling with low confidence, yet look at him now when he's bursting with it.

I'd agree Harry doesn't seem to have that mental fortitude that makes players go all the way to the top no matter what setbacks they have, but I think a lot of comments on here about him are harsh. There is a lot of assumption that it's down to poor professionalism, but no apparent consideration that he could be struggling with mental health bringing down his motivation. Either for external, personal reasons, or because being jerked around by Mowbray has rocked his confidence (and I don't care what anyone says, he really has been...loaned, barely played, signed permanently and not played, loaned out, signed an extension and immediately sent off on loan for the duration of that extension...do you want the lad or not Tony? My confidence and assessment of my abilities and career prospects would be all over the place in his shoes). Brereton doesn't really have that fortitude either, he just finally caught some breaks and his newfound confidence has propelled him into the spotlight.

I do agree he isn't likely to make it at our club anymore, and it's a real shame. A free or nominal fee with a large sell on in January would probably be best for all concerned. I won't be surprised if he ends up on a hot streak in the Championship in 2 or 3 years time though - but nor will I be surprised if he sinks down to League Two or retires in that time. He's a mercurial talent and at this point it's all down to Harry to pull himself out of his rut and make the best of the hand he's got. A permanent move to a new club who hopefully value him is probably the best way to ignite that. I'd say Shrewsbury is probably best as he was on fire for them.

• Like 2